Old 01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maybell
losa5047 Orange #55
losa5046 Red #56
losa5045 Black #57
Originally Posted by DaveW
Losi 56 piston HOLE SIZE is close to AE#3. Losi 55 is close to AE#2. Losi 54 is close to AE#1. AE pistons have two holes and Losi pistons have of course three holes. A three hole piston allows for less pack, assuming the piston surface/piston to shock body wall clearance is the same by comparison. This is one of the reasons Losi suspensions have always statically felt so plush, and work so well "in the rough stuff". There is also a difference between a size 56 "drilled" and "molded" piston hole... the molded hole being a bit larger than a numerically drilled hole of the same size. A three hole piston will allow for greater adjustment in roll control (weight transfer) in a TC... allowing the use of thicker shock oils, with minimal loss of overall traction. Over the years i have used two hole for low bite and three hole for high bite (like Snowbirds high bite)... which sounds backwards considering my previous statement... but IMO the three hole pistons cope with insane amounts of grip better than two hole pistons. This can also depend on which class you run... modified transfers weight in a TC alot faster than stock does. Rubber tire/carpet and other "low grip" surfaces i use two hole AE#1 pistons front and rear with thicker oils (40-70wt mixing oils for half weights). How this transfers to the new Tc5 pistons i dont know as of yet, but this can be a general guide to help you find what works for you.

the 57 pistons are a losi piston, here's some info i found a few pages back.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Now the question is, which ones do I use as they have 2 differnt sizes of them, one is what they use in their off-road cars, and then they have 10mm pistons used in the JRX-S?

Although I think for the time being I will just use AE #3's.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carbon madness
Now the question is, which ones do I use as they have 2 differnt sizes of them, one is what they use in their off-road cars, and then they have 10mm pistons used in the JRX-S?

Although I think for the time being I will just use AE #3's.
read my post above, the part #'s are on there. that should tell you which one's to use.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry I over looked that part.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

LOL

Last edited by wallstreet; 01-20-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ken Pepe's rubber tire setup from Novak 08 (Master tq + win, 13.5 BQ)

for jaco greens or rp 30 -works for both

Front
5mm ride ht
1.5 camber
4* caster
toe 0
hex space 0
wheel base spacer 2mm
steering link 2b
bumpsteer 2mm
1 way diff
cam holder a
tension 8
shock 35 wt AE oil
#2 piston
25% rebound
blue spring
no foam in bladder
shock pos. 2b
camber link 3
no shims
fwd mount 1a
fwd shim 2
rwd mount 1a
rwd shim 2
droop 6 on gauge
no roll bar

REAR
5mm ride ht
1.5 camber
0* toe hub
3* total toe
1mm wheel base spacer
diff-set a bit loose
cam holder a
2 tension
shock 35 wt oil
#2 piston
25% rebound
no foam in bladder
silver spring
shock pos. 3b
camberlink 3a
1mm spacer on outer ball
fwd arm mount 2a
1.5 fwd shims
rwd mount 1a
4.5 rwd mount shim
5 droop on gauge
no roll bar

chassis itf top plate itf w/ 4 orings on layshaft (rear) area screws
rp30 or jaco green
use full dope on rear, almost full on front

MAzda 6 body
Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
chassis itf top plate itf w/ 4 orings on layshaft (rear) area screws
MAzda 6 body
What does this mean? Where are you putting the o-rings?

RedRocket
Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

The 4 rear screws that hold the top deck also secure the bearing holders for the layshaft. It's common for rubber tire racers to put an o ring under a washer to allow a small amount of extra flex at this area of the top deck.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Those are incorrect.

the losi #57 piston is extremely close to the associated #3
losi #56 is extremely close to the associated #2

the only differences the associated pistons have bigger holes but only 2 holes
the losi pistons have 3 smaller holes but the total volume of the holes equals that to which i just posted above. So you can get a little bit different feel by using the losi pistons. More of a finer adjustment
You might wanna reconsider using the word "incorrect". If you read the post, it says "close to...". Ive been wheelin/wrenchin on AE/Losi cars/trucks since the late 80's. Trust me, the information is right. Im not trying to debate with you, or anyone else for that matter... but just making sure the information given/discussed is as "close to" accurate as possible.

For a little background. I went through a period of time modifying piston in both the AE and Losi cars (as most offroad racers did in the mid/late90's). Matter of fact, it was common to see a Losi 5-5-6 piston on a setup sheet back in the day, which is a Losi 56 molded piston with two drilled 55 holes (with a #55 bit). As mentioned above, a drilled numerical hole is smaller than a molded hole of the same size. Losi 55 pistons have larger size #55 holes because of the molding process. A "true" 55 piston was obtained by drilling all three holes of a 56 piston with a #55 bit. The piston comparison mentioned above fits the numerical listing, and is "close to" because of the molding process. It was common for many AE drivers to run a 5-3 rear piston (a #1 piston with one hole drilled with a #53 bit) in truck on rough,rutted, loamy tracks with slightly thicker oil to obtain less rear pack and greater overall shock piston speed to absorb the ruts and provide traction. I to this day even have modified three hole AE pistons (and all of the drill bits mentioned) that i ran in the TC3 when it first came out, to gain grip on the rough local parkinglot we raced at. Ill be glad to provide pix if you like.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

posted edited..

Rob ill leave the internet beatdowns for you LOL

Starting to see why people are turned away by the touring car crowd.

Last edited by wallstreet; 01-20-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
The 4 rear screws that hold the top deck also secure the bearing holders for the layshaft. It's common for rubber tire racers to put an o ring under a washer to allow a small amount of extra flex at this area of the top deck.
Thanks Rob, that make good sense.

RedRocket
Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

I hope everybody still loves each other, because there is just not enough love in the world right now.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
You might wanna reconsider using the word "incorrect". If you read the post, it says "close to...". Ive been wheelin/wrenchin on AE/Losi cars/trucks since the late 80's. Trust me, the information is right. Im not trying to debate with you, or anyone else for that matter... but just making sure the information given/discussed is as "close to" accurate as possible.

For a little background. I went through a period of time modifying piston in both the AE and Losi cars (as most offroad racers did in the mid/late90's). Matter of fact, it was common to see a Losi 5-5-6 piston on a setup sheet back in the day, which is a Losi 56 molded piston with two drilled 55 holes (with a #55 bit). As mentioned above, a drilled numerical hole is smaller than a molded hole of the same size. Losi 55 pistons have larger size #55 holes because of the molding process. A "true" 55 piston was obtained by drilling all three holes of a 56 piston with a #55 bit. The piston comparison mentioned above fits the numerical listing, and is "close to" because of the molding process. It was common for many AE drivers to run a 5-3 rear piston (a #1 piston with one hole drilled with a #53 bit) in truck on rough,rutted, loamy tracks with slightly thicker oil to obtain less rear pack and greater overall shock piston speed to absorb the ruts and provide traction. I to this day even have modified three hole AE pistons (and all of the drill bits mentioned) that i ran in the TC3 when it first came out, to gain grip on the rough local parkinglot we raced at. Ill be glad to provide pix if you like.
posted edited..

The best thing to do in this case would be to get the Losi #60 piston and use a #56 drill bit and make a true #56 piston as the stock losi red/pink piston isn't true. This is what we did some years back on the Schumacher. Hopefully this solves everyone's problem.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Can someone please post a rubber tyre sorex 36 med-c setup for a asphelt painted track (fairy meadow for the aussies in this thread) we just had the summernats and myself and 2 other TC5 drivers had trouble with the lack of rear traction all weekendand tryed everything from shock springs, oils, rollcentres we had the itf chassis and top plates on played with diff tension o-rings on the top deck but we just couldnt get enough rear grip it was like a drift car.
any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers
Chris
Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

posted edited..

Sarcasm is my second language. Apparently some people cant accept constructive criticism. It has nothing to do with any particular crowd of racers. To be blunt, ill say this, post up when what you type is correct. And dont go all "drama queen" in defense of your injured pride.

That is all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.