Team Associated TC5

Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM
  #4951  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (29)
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,322
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Rubber tire carpet set up.....I tweaked my ITF chassis so I went back to the stock chassis and top deck. Ran the Ryan C. Reedy race set up but took the spool out and ran a oneway. The car was dialed. I was 3/10 off of the fastest lap turned but I have a pretty good idea as to why. The car was easy to drive and could have used just a touch of on power steering but certain chages I made to get it caused the car to traction roll so back to the standard set up. I'm not set up guru but I can hold my ownbut if my boy Mo was there it would have been lights out. The bomber belt is something I'd like to try for the next time out as well. Body testing was also done and we stuck with the regular mazda 6. What conditions should the speed 6 be used for? I always seem to put it back on the shelf in favor for the standard mazda 6. Anyone local car for an unpainted speed 6???
STLNLST is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 05:19 PM
  #4952  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (78)
 
Kraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sun Prairie, WI
Posts: 6,703
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default

George, just racing against those guys is tough no matter what car they drive.

As for chassis thickness items. I am no graphite expert but there are different grades of graphite (I forget the correct name) sheets available. Each has their own set of properties and how they react. Perhaps Jason from BMI or Josh from CEFX can explain all of the differences because that is something that I have not looked into.

Personally I would like to see stronger (less flexible) suspension arms and caster blocks and even possibly rear hubs. If they accomplish that then I think the car would be killer on foams. Look at the last Cleveland race, they ran different pieces and were competitive with the $450 plus cars. Lap times were almost the same minus a few ticks of the clock. I haven't run foams for awhile now (because I can't afford to anymore) and in fact never have with the TC5 but I have seen Robk's car and Wallstreet's run and those changes wouldn't hurt.

This is just my opinion and I am very happy with my TC5 running rubber tire.
Kraig is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
  #4953  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (78)
 
Kraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sun Prairie, WI
Posts: 6,703
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default

STLNLST, why do you keep going back to the Mazda 6? What differences did you notice?
Kraig is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 06:42 PM
  #4954  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (103)
 
LOW ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cleveland, ohio
Posts: 3,128
Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Rubber tire carpet set up.....I tweaked my ITF chassis so I went back to the stock chassis and top deck. Ran the Ryan C. Reedy race set up but took the spool out and ran a oneway. The car was dialed. I was 3/10 off of the fastest lap turned but I have a pretty good idea as to why. The car was easy to drive and could have used just a touch of on power steering but certain chages I made to get it caused the car to traction roll so back to the standard set up. I'm not set up guru but I can hold my ownbut if my boy Mo was there it would have been lights out. The bomber belt is something I'd like to try for the next time out as well. Body testing was also done and we stuck with the regular mazda 6. What conditions should the speed 6 be used for? I always seem to put it back on the shelf in favor for the standard mazda 6. Anyone local car for an unpainted speed 6???
how do you tweak a chassis? if it's tweaked can't you just adjust it out? now if you broke the chassis i can see going back to the original.
LOW ET is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
  #4955  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,893
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kraig View Post

Personally I would like to see stronger (less flexible) suspension arms and caster blocks and even possibly rear hubs. If they accomplish that then I think the car would be killer on foams. Look at the last Cleveland race, they ran different pieces and were competitive with the $450 plus cars. Lap times were almost the same minus a few ticks of the clock. I haven't run foams for awhile now (because I can't afford to anymore) and in fact never have with the TC5 but I have seen Robk's car and Wallstreet's run and those changes wouldn't hurt.

This is just my opinion and I am very happy with my TC5 running rubber tire.
I tend to go along with Kraig's thoughts on the chassis. I feel that stronger arms will help the car. I have made thin graphite plates to stiffen the arms, attached with CA glue. I think it makes quite a difference, along withTC4 caster blocks. At a race a couple months ago, I broke a TC4 block, was out of tc4 stuff, so I went back to stock parts. Just changing the caster block I lost steering. I understand the new stiffer parts will be produced, so that should be a great help.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC5-graphitearmtop.jpg   Team Associated TC5-graphitearmunder.jpg  
robk is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
  #4956  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,109
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

51....you have pm...

Last edited by Maybell; 12-30-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Maybell is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:58 PM
  #4957  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Verndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by C_Money View Post
is it a nessesity, to sand and ca the chassis? it looks like a ton of work and I dont want to mess it up
I guess it's optional, but I did and am glad. I didn't use CA, I used clear fingernail polish and it looks great and is holding up well after 5 months use. It's much easier to work with, and the brush makes application a breeze.
Verndog is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 PM
  #4958  
Tech Master
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,005
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Ok so I have noticed ever since maybell said something to wall street people really havent been helping each other out, and well thats the main reason we are all here. Wall street has been kind enough to help me out a lot, and well I could use all the help I can get cause these cars are way different than the off road trucks im used to. So maybe maybell can be a little nicer next time dont you think.
C_Money is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 PM
  #4959  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (29)
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,322
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
STLNLST, why do you keep going back to the Mazda 6? What differences did you notice?
The car just seems a bit more stable for me and the lap times are more consistent with the regular Mazda 6. The rear end seems too wishy washy with the speed 6. It turns in hard (which isn't a bad thing) but the rear end breaks loose sometimes. Could be my driving sometimes but take that body off and I will know what the car will do 100 out of 100 times.

Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
how do you tweak a chassis? if it's tweaked can't you just adjust it out? now if you broke the chassis i can see going back to the original.
The chassis isn't broken but it is tweaked. I thought that with a double deck car you could just loosen the top deck and hold down the shock towers retighten the screws on the top deck and everything is fine. this wasn't the case. I did something to this chassis that it doesn't sit flat anymore. I stripped the car down to kit form and put the chassi on a flat surface and it has a slight rock to it. The stock chassis doesn't have this rock when placed on the same surface. Once asphalt season comes back around I'll put a new ITF chassis and top deck on the ride.
STLNLST is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 PM
  #4960  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,109
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by C_Money View Post
Ok so I have noticed ever since maybell said something to wall street people really havent been helping each other out, and well thats the main reason we are all here. Wall street has been kind enough to help me out a lot, and well I could use all the help I can get cause these cars are way different than the off road trucks im used to. So maybe maybell can be a little nicer next time dont you think.
yup, I can be nicer...and I will....sorry about that....I get a little fired up about some things sometimes...but I think you got me all wrong...

Verndog...HELP!!!!
Maybell is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 11:38 PM
  #4961  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Verndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by C_Money View Post
Ok so I have noticed ever since maybell said something to wall street people really havent been helping each other out, and well thats the main reason we are all here. Wall street has been kind enough to help me out a lot, and well I could use all the help I can get cause these cars are way different than the off road trucks im used to. So maybe maybell can be a little nicer next time dont you think.
Well, I'll say this, Sean Maybell is one of the elite top racers in the Pacific Northwest. And he has helped a ton of people in our area get TC5's competing very quickly (along with about any car). He worked with me at the track and got my car dialed in about 1/2 hour, then went out a couple days later and put down a couple of the fastest laps 13.5 rubber (without ITF chassis mind you) has seen at SIR without ever driving my car prior (I asked him to run my car in race 3 to test ). I've gained over 1 lap+ (from 30-31 to 3 of 4 runs @ 32) in the 2 weeks since. My point is, I think that post just struck a chord with him (not giving credit for team wins IIRC), and he wanted people to post the correct facts when big event credit is due.

Anyway...I dont see less help going on, and if WallStreet has been around these forums long, I'm sure he'll be back to continue his work. Giving him a thanks now and then (as you just did), should far outweigh a little ribbing we all get now and then.
Verndog is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 11:41 PM
  #4962  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,610
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
The chassis isn't broken but it is tweaked. I thought that with a double deck car you could just loosen the top deck and hold down the shock towers retighten the screws on the top deck and everything is fine. this wasn't the case. I did something to this chassis that it doesn't sit flat anymore. I stripped the car down to kit form and put the chassi on a flat surface and it has a slight rock to it. The stock chassis doesn't have this rock when placed on the same surface. Once asphalt season comes back around I'll put a new ITF chassis and top deck on the ride.
You may have done what I did to my 415 recently. One of the front bulkhead screws pulled up through its countersunk hole a little bit and caused a small radius of delamination. It's hard to see by just looking at it, but if I sight down the bottom of the chassis just right, I can see a shadow around the hole. It rocks on that spot. It's a subtle break, but it's there. I'm not sure if there's a fix, it's pretty hard to fix graphite plate once it's delaminated.

Anyway, you're right, if the plates aren't broken and you haven't bent a bulkhead (check for that, too) then you should be able to loosen it up, put it on your setup board, tighten it up, and voila, straight car.
PutAwayWet is offline  
Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
  #4963  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,262
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lebatek View Post
Hey Wallstreet,

You can't tell from your photos, but are the Tamiya hex shims aluminum? Do you happen to have the part numbers for the .50mm and the 1.00mm? The ones I have been using for years are teflon...and have seen better days!

Thanks,

John
TAM53646 is what you're looking for. I'm fairly certain it comes with 4 1mm and 4 .5mm shims. They're aluminum and blue. :-)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFSD2&P=FR
syndr0me is offline  
Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 AM
  #4964  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (101)
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,672
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Carbon Fiber chassis are made from many layers of the carbon and also the resin. Its intirely possible that in a severe crash and even sometimes when it appears to not be a severe crash the layers have been damaged. Sometimes we all need to buy new chassis plates which is another reason why the TC5 is a very good deal.

Steve

P.S. This post wasn't really aimed at STLNLST as I am sure he knows this but aimed more at the newer racers reading this.


Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
The chassis isn't broken but it is tweaked. I thought that with a double deck car you could just loosen the top deck and hold down the shock towers retighten the screws on the top deck and everything is fine. this wasn't the case. I did something to this chassis that it doesn't sit flat anymore. I stripped the car down to kit form and put the chassi on a flat surface and it has a slight rock to it. The stock chassis doesn't have this rock when placed on the same surface. Once asphalt season comes back around I'll put a new ITF chassis and top deck on the ride.
corallyman is offline  
Old 12-31-2007, 12:52 AM
  #4965  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (101)
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,672
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

I also double what Verndog said, Sean is a well repected long time racer who is helping many people. Sometimes Internet talk is crappy because there is too much reading between the lines and not understanding jokes or actual intention.

I believe from the beginning this thread has been one of the better threads going and actually has far less "Bad" stuff in it.

Steve
corallyman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.