Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
noob question about learning setup adjustments >

noob question about learning setup adjustments

Like Tree5Likes

noob question about learning setup adjustments

Old 08-15-2020, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default noob question about learning setup adjustments

Is there a "setup for dummies" book , website , link.....?

I've been exclusive to off road bashing so shock oil weight and spring resistance is as much as I have dealt with.

I built the Serpent SRX GT8E LWB and would love to have some reference materials to help me to learn what and how all of the minut adjustments will do to affect the handling of the car.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Yup - this book is great and I always go back to reference it.

https://xxxmain.com/collections/touring-car-setup-guide

Old 08-15-2020, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pauly6401 View Post
Yup - this book is great and I always go back to reference it.

https://xxxmain.com/collections/touring-car-setup-guide
^This. The Ryan Maker book is also fantastic.
glennhl likes this.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The Ryan Maker book paid for itself when it sorted out my steering issues.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

super info, thanks
Old 08-16-2020, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

A GT is something different than a 1/10 tourer.... Check online at Hudy and Xray if they have a setup book. I know Hudy has a "offroad setup book". OK Buggy based but a GT is also buggy based.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...c4d2b30f9c.jpg
Old 08-16-2020, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
A GT is something different than a 1/10 tourer.... Check online at Hudy and Xray if they have a setup book. I know Hudy has a "offroad setup book". OK Buggy based but a GT is also buggy based.

While baseline numbers from the tc setup book will be wrong, all the setup theory will still be correct. Id recommend starting with a setup sheet from a fast guy (hopefully local) and then using a tc setup guide if anything needs to be fine tuned.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

This is a good guide - R/C Car Handling - An Introduction To Vehicle Dynamics - there did used to be another version floating about with on-road settings as well, but the principles are the same without bumps and jumps being so important.

It's easy to get lost in setup and there are few things you can do to help yourself.

1. Build you car really well to kit settings - every part needs to move freely under weight, and the kit setup copied carefully to use as a starting point.
2. Tyres. They are so important. You will not get a car working on the wrong tyres. Just copy the fast racers to start off with - ask them about tyres, additive, and warming routines for the track (I don't know much about 1/8 GT tyres). Be prepared to put a new set of tyres on the car when the handling is bad, don't endlessly try and change the setup for worn out tyres.
3. Make one change at a time. Really important. You want to isolate the changes you make so you get to learn what is working and what isn't.
4. Track evolution makes a big difference. Normally the first runs of the day are on a "green" track with less grip. Be patient, don't start making changes yet. I never change setup after the first run unless the car was completely undriveable, because I know the track will change so much.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for your replies. This is a parking lot racer as the are literally no tracks for hundreds of miles. (I live in the high country of the Colorado Rockies hence the 8000ft name, actually I live at 8770ft).
The parking lots are quite dusty at the moment due to the dry and windy weather and I really think that I could benefit from some tires with real tread to them.
I've tried the GRP x-soft and yes they did a good job of getting grip but they wore out way to quickly and at $60 a set I can't afford to keep fresh ones in stock.
I've also tried the DeBoots that are on the Arrma Infraction and the did almost as well as the GRP's but again at $70 a set....
Finally I picked up a set of " REhobby 1/8 On Road Tires Super Grip Rubber Tyre" from Amazon and of course they are very slippery (but kinda fun drifting all the corners but scary as hell when the car passes you sideways at 65 mph) and you get what you pay for @ $22 a set.
So now I'm searching for something reasonably priced with a real tread pattern and then I can start playing with the setup.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Come to think of it there must be a reusable aluminum wheel for on road like what I use on a crawlers and Yeti.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Hudy Setup station manual is a great resource for tuning info. Search the Hudy website for their setup station and then download the manual. I printed a blow up copy of the last page that has a table that says, if your car does this, try this first, second, etc...

As far as tires go, 1/8th scale tires are expensive and wear quickly, especially if you are power sliding around the parking lot! And, the softer the compound, the better they will stick, but the faster they will wear. So, you have to decide what balance of wear and performance you are looking for.

I am not aware of any 1/8th aluminum buggy wheels. I think the problem with aluminum rims is that in racing, you tend to hit things and the aluminum rim won’t bounce back like plastic rims will.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

these look like they are worth trying.
(I would have used a picture but I haven't hit that magical and mysterious required number of posts to allow me the great privilege of posting something that could convey much more information than mere words alone)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/duratra...xc3638/p642357
Old 08-18-2020, 02:10 AM
Tech Adept

Rc car setup wizard App is also good
Old 08-19-2020, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Books are nice to have, but stick time is more important....
Airwave likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.