new to on road. looking for scale car >

new to on road. looking for scale car

Like Tree11Likes

new to on road. looking for scale car

Old 08-10-2020, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default new to on road. looking for scale car

i am brand new to on road, but not to rc cars. i am looking to buy a scale on rc car, meaning it looks accurate to the real car. i am not racing in competition, but i would like something that will handle and perform well. One very important note: I dont have any hobby shops near me, so there is no "local hobby shop" for parts. everything will be purchased online.

I had one other experience with on road, and it was a belt driven car. a tiny stone got into the car from the street and destroyed the gear and the belt. after about 3 or 4 runs with stones getting caught in the belt, i gave up and sold the car for a loss. the car cannot be belt driven since this will be a parking lot/street driven car and there will be debris in the road.

these are my choices. if there are any others that i am missing, please let me know. i am not terribly worried about the price, but again this is a car that i am seeing if i will enjoy

1. traxxas ford gt - to be honest in the past i tried to stay away from traxxas for reasons. However, the Ford GT is my favorite real life car.
2. kyosho fazer mk2 - i like the 1970 charger, but i havent been able to find it in stock
3.tamiya supra or the FD rx 7- but they are drift cars. i dont want to drift. I also dont know how well these tamiya cars will perform. my experience with the inexpensive tamiya is that they are closer to toy grade. i dont know if on road is the same.
4. arrma limitless - its much more expensive than every other car i looked at, and its not scale. however, i love the way it looks. i am very concerned though that if i got it, it would not perform well on turns and twisties on a parking lot track that i will be making. it seems its primary function is for speed runs, but really i dont care about that. again though, this is my top 2 favorites. i have a motor/esc from my kraton, so i would only need to get the car itself. if anyone has experience with this car regarding its performance handling around turns out of the box, i would really appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't know anything about the Arma Limitless, so I can't offer any comment on it's performance. As far as the 4-tec goes, I think it would be a good choice if you don't plan on racing. You won't find much better parts support then Traxxas (and no, I am not a Traxxas fan at all). From the people I know of that have had them, they are fairly durable and plenty fast out of the box. I have heard that the kit tires aren't all that great, but that can be easily remedied. I have a fair amount of time with the Tamiya TT-02. They are an OK car. For parking lot and street bashing, they would be fine. They have some weak spots if you start putting them in a confined track because as soon as you start hitting barriers, you will be looking for the dog bones after about every hit. You can upgrade the TT-02 if you want. Parts for the TT-02 are pretty cheap if you can find them. Tqrcracing.com is often where I found the best stock on TT-02 parts. Tamiya is know for their scale bodies and you can get quite a few different bodies in with the TT-02.

All that being said, the Traxxas or the TT-02 either one would likely serve you well in a parking lot, on your street or driveway. If you decide to go racing, you will want to move to another chassis or spend a bunch on upgrades.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rekim View Post
i am brand new to on road, but not to rc cars. i am looking to buy a scale on rc car, meaning it looks accurate to the real car. i am not racing in competition, but i would like something that will handle and perform well. One very important note: I dont have any hobby shops near me, so there is no "local hobby shop" for parts. everything will be purchased online.

I had one other experience with on road, and it was a belt driven car. a tiny stone got into the car from the street and destroyed the gear and the belt. after about 3 or 4 runs with stones getting caught in the belt, i gave up and sold the car for a loss. the car cannot be belt driven since this will be a parking lot/street driven car and there will be debris in the road.

these are my choices. if there are any others that i am missing, please let me know. i am not terribly worried about the price, but again this is a car that i am seeing if i will enjoy

1. traxxas ford gt - to be honest in the past i tried to stay away from traxxas for reasons. However, the Ford GT is my favorite real life car.
2. kyosho fazer mk2 - i like the 1970 charger, but i havent been able to find it in stock
3.tamiya supra or the FD rx 7- but they are drift cars. i dont want to drift. I also dont know how well these tamiya cars will perform. my experience with the inexpensive tamiya is that they are closer to toy grade. i dont know if on road is the same.
4. arrma limitless - its much more expensive than every other car i looked at, and its not scale. however, i love the way it looks. i am very concerned though that if i got it, it would not perform well on turns and twisties on a parking lot track that i will be making. it seems its primary function is for speed runs, but really i dont care about that. again though, this is my top 2 favorites. i have a motor/esc from my kraton, so i would only need to get the car itself. if anyone has experience with this car regarding its performance handling around turns out of the box, i would really appreciate it.
Out of the 1/10th scale choices you listed, the Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 is the nicest. It's tolerances are very good, the drive-train can take a lot of power, its durable, and it's also easily upgraded to have camber, toe, and droop adjustments. It even has the option to adjust the wheel base by a few mm's which is outlined in the manual.

The Kyosho Fazer is a good platform, but in my opinion it's inferior to the 4-Tec 2.0 in nearly every measure other than actual purchase price. Also be aware that if you get the Fazer with the Charger, Hellcat, or Malibu bodies it's going to be on the long wheel base chassis. This is problematic if you want to have a big variety of bodies to choose from down the road. The other Fazer models have a more traditional 257mm wheelbase.

The Tamiya TT-02 is a fantastic platform, but like you said, it's much more toy grade when compared to the Kyosho and especially the Traxxas offering. The TT-02 has great parts support, a boatload of hop-ups available, and a huge aftermarket segment. Most, if not all standard TT-02s, have the ability to run with an increase ride height, or with a 257mm or 251mm wheelbase. However, like the Kyosho and Traxxas, the Tamiya suffers from not having any significant tuning adjustments out of the box.

I do not have any experience with the Limitless, or it's truck sibling, the Infraction. I suspect you could get them to handle decently, but you're also limited on wheel/tire/body choices if that is something you care about.
Smaug and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

thank you guys so much for the response. i was really leaning towards the traxxas and this really gives me confidence in that decision
Old 08-10-2020, 02:52 PM
Tech Lord

I had a similar experience with belt drive at first. I wouldn’t go near them for years. When I finally did I had a complete different experience. It was so much that belts were frail, it was the design to replace a belt was ridiculously complicated. I can change a belt in less then 10 minutes on a standard touring car.

I do agree about the 4Tec. Or even a Vaterra v100.

now if your looking for something with an actual interior. I believe there’s a drift chassis that has an actual interior. Opposed to a body just covering the electronics.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I had a similar experience with belt drive at first. I wouldn’t go near them for years. When I finally did I had a complete different experience. It was so much that belts were frail, it was the design to replace a belt was ridiculously complicated. I can change a belt in less then 10 minutes on a standard touring car.

I do agree about the 4Tec. Or even a Vaterra v100.

now if your looking for something with an actual interior. I believe there’s a drift chassis that has an actual interior. Opposed to a body just covering the electronics.
i was tryign to find the vaterra v100 with the mustang body, but that seems like its discontinued. it looked better than the traxxas mustang
Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

If you want something realistic in performance and have great parts support with full adjustable settings, go for either XV-01 or an FF kit like the FF-03/04, Xpress FT1/FT1s. Either of those cars are great to drive and have the layout of an actual car (front motor). The stock or modified TT-02 will not go at par with these kits listed out of the box. The TT-02 will eat out your wallet just to make it perform decently without popping out suspension arms and flying dog bones out. Bodies can be bought separately so no need to buy a kit with a nice body and lousy chassis.

Last edited by Nicadrauspro4; 08-11-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Another reccommendation here for the XV-01. You get Tamiya's great body for scale looks, as well as a very durable and sealed car. To an extent, you even get an element of scale handling too with the motor at the front, when the car slides it pivots about the nose like a real front engined car.

I ran mine almost exclusively on dusty gravel and it took around 50 packs before I replaced anything for wear, and even then it wasn't really neccessary.

Nicadrauspro4 and rekim like this.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If scale looks are the priority than I'm gonna lean heavily on Tamiya. Their Mustang GT4 body is quite nice if you're interested in Mustangs.

The detail and execution of the mold, extensive decals, available interiors etc are all some of the best in the business. Now the great thing about 1/10 onroad RC chassis is that the wheelbases stay pretty consistent so you don't have to run a Tamiya chassis under the body so keep that in mind. I also prefer not seeing the body posts and there's lots of magnetic options available now so you don't have to see the body posts.

My kids run TT02 and I think they're a perfectly fine platform to run scale bodies and are durable. The XV01 rec above is a good one because it's sealed. Depending on what type of body you want to run in the future, it my not be viable if you want more of a super car profile as the shock towers need to be low. That's why I still have a TA05 V2 because it has inboard shocks and a low front middle profile and is one of the few chassis that I can run my Mclaren F1 body on.

Another one to look into is MST. I've been interested in MST because they're doing some interesting stuff both from a body and chassis standpoint but don't have first-hand experience with one so can't recommend.
Andy_F likes this.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

I'd look at a Tamiya TB05/TB04/TB03. Out of the box they have adjustable geometry and a plethora of available upgrades and spares. Tamiya being 190mm wide makes it compatible with most bodies available, whereas 200mm for the Traxxas is limited. Like others said, you can buy the body separately
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Another Big Vote for the Tamiya cars. Run well easy to fix but you rarely need to cause built like tanks.......easy to get parts and Very realistic.
Their f1 cars are awesome too.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

I'm glad you posted this. I'm thinking about the same thing. First road car, but one that can actually handle real roads and not just perfect, clean parking lots.

I'm leaning toward the Kyosho Fazer Mk. II with the Chevelle body. I'll probably sell the radio system and just put a Futaba receiver in, so the fact that Kyosho's radio is much nicer makes it worth more, even though it costs less. When the brushed motor goes, I'll decide whether to go brushless or if it's fast enough as-is.

Compared to Traxxas, the Kyosho costs the same with a nice scale body as the Traxxas does withOUT a body.

I have this same chassis in my off-road Rage Fazer 2.0. It's great. Much lighter than Traxxas. If you won't be using their connectors, the Deans that come on Kyosho don't require cutting down of the leads to solder your choice of connector on, like the Traxxas do. The battery tray is more flexible, with its simple (and light) velcro strap.

In your case, since you like the Ford GT, it might be money well spent just to go with that, along with the aforementioned reasons.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

If you can forgive the bad camera work, here's a useful comparison video:

The latest version of the Kyosho isn't brushless, like the one they show here.

Synopsis:
Redcat has metal components, but not much thought into the actual design, it seems. One piece chassis
Kyosho best body, more body options than Traxxas, 3-piece chassis.
Vaterra nice all around, but one-piece chassis.
Traxxas body options are limited due to short posts. (typical Traxxas, trying to lock us into their stuff) Cheezy flexible stabilizer bars in the rear, instead of camber links or upper wishbones. Nice body, nice wheels and tires. 3-piece chassis.

Kyosho looks like the winner to me, esp. now that the're $230 (brushed) instead of $500. (brushless)

If you'd rather have another body than what they offer, sell the nice licensed one before you smash it up for $80 or so, buy the body you want, and you're way ahead.

Last edited by Smaug; 08-11-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

dlete

Last edited by rekim; 08-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Andy_F View Post
Another reccommendation here for the XV-01. You get Tamiya's great body for scale looks, as well as a very durable and sealed car. To an extent, you even get an element of scale handling too with the motor at the front, when the car slides it pivots about the nose like a real front engined car.

I ran mine almost exclusively on dusty gravel and it took around 50 packs before I replaced anything for wear, and even then it wasn't really neccessary.

based on the comments here, i decided that i really wanted to try a good quality tamiya car. I decided to purchase a car with the XV-01 chassis, however i found that they have an awesome Group B rally car, the famous Lancia Delta
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDRSE

Originally i pre-ordered the tamiya renault 5, which i love, but its only 1/12, and it doesnt have oil filled shocks and is very basic in its specs, but i canceled that pre-order. maybe i will buy it one day, but not today

i am still going to buy the ford gt, but only because i already committed to the store to hold one for me when they arrive. had i waited just a bit longer before calling them, i wouldnt have. However, since the hobby store is getting one for me, i am not going to go back on my commitment to buy from them.

anyway, the tamiya delta, i chose 2 day shipping so it should arrive friday. i am very excited, however, my wife wont be happy. i think this will be my 22 or 23 rc car, and i wasnt supposed to get anymore, without selling one of my existing ones first. i need to figure out which car will lose its esc and servo now.
Nicadrauspro4 and angrymelon like this.

Last edited by rekim; 08-11-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.