Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
"Best" touring car bodies out there currently? >

"Best" touring car bodies out there currently?

Like Tree45Likes

"Best" touring car bodies out there currently?

Old 02-10-2021, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sps3172 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like you're saying the Baybee has more steering than the Twister and DBX. That hasn't been my experience, when it comes to CRC carpet. I haven't run the YSOT but If I rated the remaining bodies from most steering to least it would be as follows:

-OG Twister / Wolverine (tie)
-Twister Special
-DBX/Baybee (tie)

The OG Twister is the body I see most often on front running cars at national level races (except ROAR nats where it's not legal). I've seen both AMX and Xray drivers run it so it seems to be brand agnostic. Xray drivers usually run it further forward and AMX drivers run it more neutral.

I do agree that the Twister has a 'hovercraft' feel to it. In my experience, that hovercraft feel (no matter the body) is what produces the fastest lap times, provided you can hang on to it. A car that 'carves' is usually slower for the entire run or fades more later in the run.
Maybe it is how far forward that I am running the baybee. That body is super long, but ran at the same rear length, so it is easily ran forward a lot more than the other bodies. As traction comes up it can be a handful to drive as to me it really seems on the nose of the car. I have never ran the OG twister, our track has gone by roar rules, but it seems we don't care anymore, so it is on my list to try. And the ysot carving affect is hard to describe. It rotates really well, without being loose in high traction, I call it carving because it holds on and turns a lot like a 1/12. In medium grip it looses the rear just as good as the wolverine.

I used to run whatever body the fast guy at my track ran. In the last couple of years I have started running different bodies so I could see how they handled for me, and as such, I can only really say what I expect the body will do for me in a given scenario.
New layouts - baybee
as the layout builds traction - dbx, new twister
as traction really starts to come in - ysot (not favored by the other guys at my track).
The other guys are running mainly the baybee and new twister. We all have the wolverine, but haven't figured out where it belongs yet. And of course there is the new montech imola which I need to try. Hey, at least bodies are cheaper than motors!
sps3172 likes this.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 222 (100%+)

The New JConcepts A2R A-ONE is pretty good so far
LOW ET and Ggrant like this.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Did you happen to get a weight on that body, ready to run?
Old 02-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussF View Post
The body is still in decent shape so I may run it again this summer. Do you think cutting down the wing a tad would help "loosen" it? I dont favor an overly "steery" car and like the locked in feel because I tend to be a little ham fisted around the corners and lose the rear end sometimes. Yes I need to work on my smoothness.

I was able to buy a Baybee and try it last year as well. It did have more steering at 0 forward than the Hyper at 0 forward. Took off the Baybee and put the Hyper back on. Its more suited to my style. Maybe when its time for something new I will try something different or maybe just stick with the Hyper and mount it 2-4 forward as suggested.

BTW - General observation - If mounting the body forward is almost always the right answer, why dont the manufacturers make it look/fit better when mounted forward? As in the position of the wheel cutouts are always funky when mounted forward.
From my experience cutting down the wing doesn't do much. Location fwd and aft does make a big difference. I personally like a more "pointy" car so more bias to the front wheels.

General rule of thumb when shifting the body fwd and aft you are moving the aero balance.

Body FWD- more steering and more rotation
Body AFT- more stable rear end, less rotation
Wing FWD- more rotation (forward traction doesnt change)
Wing AFT- less rotation (rear tires might feel "stuck")
dawgmeat, rgrg2, RussF and 2 others like this.

Last edited by BEMO2019; 02-11-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Good info😊
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post

These new bodies are looking more and more like El Caminos.
performula and MatsNorway like this.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mooby64 View Post
In racing, form follows function.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mooby64 View Post
I'm slowly starting to agree. The Mazda 6 era was peak TC.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:12 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

For Zoobodies the characteristics for high grip are:

DBX- The most turn in and most overall downforoce

Baybee- Less turn in, more mid corner and a lot of exit steering. Generally gets a looser rear as the run goes on.

Wolverine- Less turn in than DBX and Baybee but turns more center out. Does not change as the run goes and better balance than others. Less overall downforce so deff better for stock/super stock classes.

EA
dawgmeat, rgrg2 and garnt like this.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

how do the above "peak performance" TC bodies compare in performance to a good GT body such as the Protoform Vittoria? It is mega looking and i'd like to run it - is it a disadvantage to run this body in TC class? I get that it's a GT body and not for TC class but the thing is most of the "TC" bodies also look quite exotic and some are similar in theme to this (although this has more scale proportions which in my views avoid the ugly factor).

Old 02-13-2021, 03:13 AM
Tech Addict

There is nothing scale about that body but the proportions are better, i agree it looks way better.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

i don't think it's too far away from something like the mosler blended with the HSV and other things (but yea i see your point that not 100% 'scale')... Any idea on performance of such shells vs the best performing TC shells?

Old 02-16-2021, 06:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hannhann00 View Post
i don't think it's too far away from something like the mosler blended with the HSV and other things (but yea i see your point that not 100% 'scale')... Any idea on performance of such shells vs the best performing TC shells?

I've ran the Tamiya HSV on my Tamiya 419XR with the TamiyaCup. the Tamiya HSV body is a lot heavier an therefore has more chassis roll.
Also the plastic kit wing gives no rear-grip so I've switched to a "racer style" wing (protoform).
Compaired to a Xtreme Twister shell it just has less grip and gives a lot more chassis roll. Also the "rear" feels realy heavy because it is quite high.
Then again, it wheels... And looks nice.

HSV

Regards Robert
hannhann00 likes this.

Last edited by Robert K; 02-16-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Reviving this thread a little bit, has anyone who has experience with both the Twister and the Speciale tried the brutale yet? If so is it worth getting?
Old 07-22-2021, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kawasaki161 View Post
I'm slowly starting to agree. The Mazda 6 era was peak TC.
this was my favorite body

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.