Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reviving electric on road >

Reviving electric on road

Like Tree648Likes

Reviving electric on road

Old 07-22-2020, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Other things that I think might help is actually getting more time racing. You guys bring up good points about distance etc. When more classes appear it tends to lengthen the race day out. It can suck for someone who is new and only racing one class to get a total of about 15+ minutes of actual racing in days worth of effort. Would be interesting to see a program more like UF1 where qualifying is very minimal and the races are nearly three times as long. It's not like we can't make these cars run for 15 minutes straight
Mantoya likes this.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
I will start off by saying that I love on-road racing and would love for it to be more popular. However, here a,,,should be able to double that, but it just never seems to grow.
do you go by 2?
0010 likes this.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Our local on road group has continued to grow since last year. I believe it is because we had a group that embraced what we had that was easy to race virtually anywhere. Even during business wuflu shutdowns we were able to run outdoors, in garages, churches, for sale homes, basements, etc.

Get yourself and some friends a Mini-Z and have a blast!

The same people in the Mini-Z group have started buying 1/10 touring cars and we're looking to race parking lots.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow- Onroad here in Florida is doing fine. Our GT12 class has been growing every race we attend. The Rubber tires- might be an answer if they worked out doors- they don't. The spec WGT- purples stripes work fine in this class. We have plenty of bodies to choose from. Still plenty of F1's and TC cars but pan cars are cheaper and way easier to work on. Learned to drive 1/12th when I started. The other big thing about onroad you don't have to clean the clay off your chassis every race.
Our last state race had one of our biggest turn outs. while the Oval day had one of the smallest. Dittio to the last several dirt oval and offroad races- small turnout. .Tne problem is your can't win right away they don't want to race anymore. Anything you race you need help setting up the car and race experience. Helping a new racers is they way to go- do it most of the time. Watched the Drag racing - you just go straight easy . when you have to turn right and left you have to learn. then throw in throttle control.
Since I've been racing for a long time the FWD and mid motors cars seen them for years. RC has a way to trying to re introduce things and see if they will catch on. Been there and seen things re introduced many times!

Bry195 likes this.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

We have a program running on the east coast that promotes FUN with low cost chassis. he regularly has 35+ individuals on a FRIDAY night with 50-60 total entries. Sunday is generally just as busy - and he has 15+ KIDS that come race.

Our Saturday race program of "hardcore racers" would be lucky to see half that.

Maybe its the cost, maybe its the time\length of the program, maybe its the mission of the race director...

You want on-road to grow? Make it cheap, make it simple. Get the dads and kids hooked, and let them decide if they want to advance to the faster/more expensive classes.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We don't need more classes, we have too many as it is and we are getting way too watered down.

RC racing has never been cheaper. I can build a perfectly competitive touring car for $500, including radio. Ironically the "Cheap Fun" classes often end up costing the most, or have we forgotten Tamiya Minis?

We need good exposure, good attitudes, and a good time. Tell those guys hotboxing in the parking lot to leave if they need another hit, tell the guy with the stereo blasting profane music across the pit to turn it off. Tell the guy yelling MARSHAL from the drivers stand louder than R Lee Ermey to cool it. We want people to enjoy themselves so they come back.
RacinJ, angrymelon and chjosi like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bry195 View Post
do you go by 2?
Nice, A Binary joke! Nah, its a play on my last name - Ooten
gigaplex, Bry195 and coda1820 like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
We don't need more classes, we have too many as it is and we are getting way too watered down.
I don't think anyone is asking for more classes.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you watched the trinity fb live video this past tuesday they talked about this in the beginning. I'd have to agree with everything that was said. One thing that stood out to me was Brian Wynn said we have new people coming out to race and get lapped six times in the main causing them to never to come back. People get discouraged so easily I've been racing for a while and still get lapped that many times

Also if you remember back in nineteen ninety eight when the undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.
rko and Double D Donuts like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

I tuned into the first part of the Trinity FB live that you referenced Muddbutt, and frankly, pan cars probably are the best place to start and the best place to potentially get new blood into onroad. Classes like 12th LMP, GT12, WGT and WGT-R and even Pro10/LMP1 are probably where we ought to be steering organic growth in the onroad division in general. Get the more experienced guys to work with the new guys as coaches and mentors. Weed out the sandbaggers in the lower budget classes and the classes designed for newer and less experienced racers, but at the same time give those guys incentive for moving up and challenging themselves...I probably could go on about other ideas but I'll probably sleep on those first.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Pan cars are cheaper to run and easier to work on than any TC out there.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:38 PM
Tech Prophet

For those that have successful programs. How have you gotten people from the interested stage to actually trying?

I’m currently running with two on road groups. We get a lot asking. But none take that next step. Will see this Sunday if that continues. We had one very interested two weeks ago. Even tried a few laps with someone’s Euro truck. He said he be back for the next one this Sunday

I’m still considered one of the newer drivers, only my 4th summer. 7 Local races in last 5 weeks, with 2 more this weekend

Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
For those that have successful programs. How have you gotten people from the interested stage to actually trying?
Instead of expecting them to go all in, or only running a few laps with a car, let them run a whole race day with someone's car. Tell them to run in the middle, and when they're "in the way", have other racers make clean passes (yes they may have to get off their line), and don't complain about it. Everyone has to be part of encouraging potential new racers. It is the group that hooks them, nothing else.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by chjosi View Post
Instead of expecting them to go all in, or only running a few laps with a car, let them run a whole race day with someone's car. Tell them to run in the middle, and when they're "in the way", have other racers make clean passes (yes they may have to get off their line), and don't complain about it. Everyone has to be part of encouraging potential new racers. It is the group that hooks them, nothing else.
I donít expect someone to go all in. The one group has SCT class for on road. Brushed Traxxas Slash are used in one. It the ones that say they have that truck, they come to watch. But donít want to try.

Worst part is I donít even know what made me finally try. Other then it was right in front of me. I didnít have to drive a distance or be the outsider at a club or track. I had no interest for the first 6 years in the hobby.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Here’s the group I’ll be racing with Saturday. Buggy, SCT and touring cars. Can’t make it much easier to try as there open to run all kinds of vehicles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.