• 3 Post By robk
  • 1 Post By Mantoya
  • 1 Post By porsche928gs

Tamiya F1 car questions

Old 07-06-2020, 12:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya F1 car questions

Hello all, I am new to F1 racing and I jumped in head first without doing a lot of homework. Now I am stuck with a difficult decision. Which Tamiya F1 car to race? I have a F104 Pro Vii that I went a little bonkers and upgraded just about every part I could get my hands on. (Aluminum motor mount, carbon drive shaft, carbon fiber top deck, aluminum pivot post, exotek adjustable front suspension arms and aluminum body posts. I race on a medium to small indoor grey carpet track using our track's spec tire (Hudy). the car was super loose and I cant seem to get it tuned right. Talking with some on this board, it has been suggested that, perhaps the F104 Pro Vii was a bad choice for indoor carpet. Is that true? If so, I do have other choices for Tamiya available to me. I could either a.) get a F104 VERSION II (not the Pro Vii that i currently have) or the TRF102. Note that i also have the TRF101 front suspension kit NIP that I could put in any of these cars. I am looking for advice on the best path forward. Of course, folks at my track want me to race xray or roushe but neither is the "standard car" at my track and i can get parts for Tamiya car pretty easily. If given the choices above, which would you choose and why? Or, would you sell the F104 Pro Vii and TRF101 suspension kit and get the new Exotek?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 07-06-2020, 12:31 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Why does it have to be Tamiya? I would avoid the TRF102 also having one. I think I've seen more people have handling issues from the Exotek adjustable front arms being off than people actually benefitting from it.

What tires are you running? You could get that car to be consistent enough to handle fine on gray carpet, but the other guys at your track are right. Can't go wrong with CRC, Roche or Xray for carpet.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm just a Tamiya fan. Sorry, i dont know the exact model for hudy tires, it was just what my local track uses and i didnt save the package. I can check the next time i am at the track. So, TRF102 is a no go for carpet then, thanks.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Try a set of CRC premount tires, they will have more grip than the Hudy tires unless your track has made it a spec tire.

If you want the best Tamiya, the TRF103 is the car to get. Having had one, I believe CRC/Roche/Xray to still be a better car than the TRF103.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mantoya View Post
Hello all, I am new to F1 racing and I jumped in head first without doing a lot of homework. Now I am stuck with a difficult decision. Which Tamiya F1 car to race? I have a F104 Pro Vii that I went a little bonkers and upgraded just about every part I could get my hands on. (Aluminum motor mount, carbon drive shaft, carbon fiber top deck, aluminum pivot post, exotek adjustable front suspension arms and aluminum body posts. I race on a medium to small indoor grey carpet track using our track's spec tire (Hudy). the car was super loose and I cant seem to get it tuned right. Talking with some on this board, it has been suggested that, perhaps the F104 Pro Vii was a bad choice for indoor carpet. Is that true? If so, I do have other choices for Tamiya available to me. I could either a.) get a F104 VERSION II (not the Pro Vii that i currently have) or the TRF102. Note that i also have the TRF101 front suspension kit NIP that I could put in any of these cars. I am looking for advice on the best path forward. Of course, folks at my track want me to race xray or roushe but neither is the "standard car" at my track and i can get parts for Tamiya car pretty easily. If given the choices above, which would you choose and why? Or, would you sell the F104 Pro Vii and TRF101 suspension kit and get the new Exotek?

Thanks in advanced!
Who is this? I'm Gilbert Santos a racer at RCCA.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Try a set of CRC premount tires, they will have more grip than the Hudy tires unless your track has made it a spec tire.

If you want the best Tamiya, the TRF103 is the car to get. Having had one, I believe CRC/Roche/Xray to still be a better car than the TRF103.
He said they run a spec tire, Hudy. (Which are terrible for carpet)

If you are stuck running these as a spec, then you need to heavily glue the fronts to take away grip. The front Hudy tires, over power the rears.

Car you have can work just fine, it's a pod link car like all the newer ones. Biggest thing is to run a softer rear damper spring. Stiffer side springs, try 50k in side damper tubes. If there is the option to make the chassis flex more, do it.

Stay away from older Tamiya 101 &102, part support for certain things suck. I loved my TRF 101 but some parts I just couldn't get so I went for the Roche and never looked back!
Mantoya likes this.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Trf102 has a thin chassis and the t bars are not very robust. Not a great combo for carpet.

Trf103 is the best bet on carpet. I know everyone says go with something else, but if you really want a Tamiya, it's pretty darn good. John Barron, ROAR F1 champ came to our track for a race and we went toe to toe in the mains on high grip black carpet. He beat me, but I didn't feel like it was the car.
Rick Vessell, dawgmeat and Mantoya like this.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by porsche928gs View Post
Who is this? I'm Gilbert Santos a racer at RCCA.
Hey Glibert, it me, John. i pit next to Carlos.
Carlosboiii likes this.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Hi John, i would not keep spending money on the tamiya kit upgrades. For $290 the roche f1 evo2 is a great car for our track or you can find an used in good condition xray x1. But that is your call, is hard to get setup support from a Tamiya F1 let alone one with a bunch of upgraded parts. In f1 you need a kit that you can adjust your front camber, caster, droop and springs easily as these are the main settings to make an f1 work on any surface.
astgerma52sp likes this.