On-road backyard track >

On-road backyard track

Like Tree17Likes

On-road backyard track

Old 07-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default On-road backyard track

About three months ago I started a thread asking if anyone has ever built a track in their backyard for off-road racing. It has pretty much taken off with 364 posts up till now including probably 20 or 25 that are mine. Lots of discussions, photos and video of people's backyard off-road tracks. It got me thinking if someone had the ambition and the funds available I don't see why an on-road backyard track would be out of the question. I love 1/12 scale cars. I really wouldn't know where to start when it comes to building one. Now that I'm thinking about it maybe I'll see if there's anything on YouTube regarding how to build such a track. All opinions welcome including telling me I'm crazy to even consider it
Old 07-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Some small indoor r/c tracks use EVA foam tiles for the racing surface. These tiles are typically sold for garages, exercise rooms, or play rooms. If a grass yard was flat enough, you could use them as a temporary race surface and use simple wood boards as barriers. My concern would be the track sliding if someone had to marshal a race. The only issue you would have is if the transition between tiles was uneven. You would probably have to use a taller ride height on a 1/12 scale vehicle just to be safe. Not sure what tires would work.

Another option is 1/10 scale rally cars. Track barriers could be something as simple as a hose, pvc, or plastic drainage tile (pipe). This might work better on an uneven yard.

Probably the easiest way to have a backyard track is to use a large patio for Kyosho Mini Z racing or 1/18 scale racing. There are plenty of examples of good Mini Z layouts and racing on Youtube.

Here is a good video

dawgmeat, Croatia, GhenzZ and 1 others like this.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 212 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milkdudd View Post
About three months ago I started a thread asking if anyone has ever built a track in their backyard for off-road racing. It has pretty much taken off with 364 posts up till now including probably 20 or 25 that are mine. Lots of discussions, photos and video of people's backyard off-road tracks. It got me thinking if someone had the ambition and the funds available I don't see why an on-road backyard track would be out of the question. I love 1/12 scale cars. I really wouldn't know where to start when it comes to building one. Now that I'm thinking about it maybe I'll see if there's anything on YouTube regarding how to build such a track. All opinions welcome including telling me I'm crazy to even consider it
this is my friends onroad track in his back yard

Old 07-04-2020, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Hello is your friend currently taking applications for more friends lol. Would love having something like that close to me.
Pedmar007 and Sizzleman1 like this.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Over on the off-road backyard track thread I posed the question what would you build if money was no object. The only stipulation was you couldn't buy a new house with a huge yard. It was based on what would you do with the yard you already have if you had a relatively big budget. I guess my question is what is the method for building a paved on road track? Do you dig down a few inches then maybe put in a steel mesh and then cover it with asphalt? That's all wild guesses and I'm probably way off base. How would someone even begin to study how a paved on-road track is built?
Old 07-05-2020, 04:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post

Regarding weather namely rain, does it ever suffer from poor drainage? Is it primarily used for nitro racing or is electric also used?
Old 07-05-2020, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 212 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pedmar007 View Post
Regarding weather namely rain, does it ever suffer from poor drainage? Is it a primarily used for nitro racing or is electric also used?
he host both
Old 07-05-2020, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

You could always build a half court basketball court out of concrete and use it also for pickle ball and a put up take down rc track. Get the most bang for the buck.

Rich
hanulec, Milkdudd and Muddbutt69 like this.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It’s one thing to cut grass short or be fortunate to have a big back yard for on off road track. An on toad track would be a bit costly. That’s if you were permitted. Not every town or suburb is gonna let someone just pave over their yard.

I’ve got a number of good parking lots I use for my touring cars. Unfortunately 1/12 and F1 haven’t worked well on unprepared surfaces.
Milkdudd likes this.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If your passionate about making an onroad track happen possibly you could talk to your local town government about open spaces that you would then "maintain" for them.

1/12 on asphalt isn't so popular

A small metal building would allow you to create a carpet track...
Old 07-05-2020, 05:53 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
If your passionate about making an onroad track happen possibly you could talk to your local town government about open spaces that you would then "maintain" for them.

1/12 on asphalt isn't so popular

A small metal building would allow you to create a carpet track...
Youíd need to show a real demand for it to get a town or suburb board involved.

How small could you go. The indoor carpet track in my area is about 40 x 25. Thatís still a good sized building. You need a good sized yard for that. Provided it was allowed.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys I appreciate all of your input on this subject. My main goal was to see if it's even reasonable to consider an on-road track at my house. The more I research it doesn't seem like it is. I know there are a lot of options to run small cars indoors and outdoors but I was talking about a dedicated paved track to my design. At the time I figured it must be far less involved of a project than a built-in pool would be. I saw an article about building full-size race tracks and it described the asphalt process. Below is the link to that article. Obviously pros only need apply for that job. I thought maybe it could be poured concrete with some reinforcements in it. More it seems asphalt is the only way to go so a backyard on-road track is a no-go. Thanks

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/h...-in-six-steps/
Old 07-05-2020, 11:51 AM
Tech Lord

Thanks guys I appreciate all of your input on this subject. My main goal was to see if it's even reasonable to consider an on-road track at my house. The more I research it doesn't seem like it is. I know there are a lot of options to run small cars indoors and outdoors but I was talking about a dedicated paved track to my design. At the time I figured it must be far less involved of a project than a built-in pool would be. I saw an article about building full-size race tracks and it described the asphalt process. Below is the link to that article. Obviously pros only need apply for that job. I thought maybe it could be poured concrete with some reinforcements in it. More it seems asphalt is the only way to go so a backyard on-road track is a no-go. Thanks

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/h...-in-six-steps/
Itís a bit difficult to compare building a real race track to an RC track. Location makes a big difference. Iím near Chicago, so winter is a huge factor. Not only in justifying the cost, but in what freezing temps do to pavement. Just look at most driveway. How badly cracked they can become in one a few years.

Now I do keep a loose watch on about 2 dozen houses about 15 minutes south of me. They all have nice sized steel building, some are farms some just for their toys, instead of having a simple garage. Most are actually bigger then the indoor carpet track I currently run at.

Last winter I cleaned out my basement. Expanded my small MiniZ track.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Itís a bit difficult to compare building a real race track to an RC track. Location makes a big difference. Iím near Chicago, so winter is a huge factor. Not only in justifying the cost, but in what freezing temps do to pavement. Just look at most driveway. How badly cracked they can become in one a few years.

Now I do keep a loose watch on about 2 dozen houses about 15 minutes south of me. They all have nice sized steel building, some are farms some just for their toys, instead of having a simple garage. Most are actually bigger then the indoor carpet track I currently run at.

Last winter I cleaned out my basement. Expanded my small MiniZ track.

https://youtu.be/3AygKc5Mqa8
​​​​​​I love your track. Almost all mini tracks I see are nothing but 90 degree and 180 degree turns. Which is fine if that's what someone wants but I like how unique your track design is
Old 07-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Tech Lord

​​​​​​I love your track. Almost all mini tracks I see are nothing but 90 degree and 180 degree turns. Which is fine if that's what someone wants but I like how unique your track design is
A member here started a monthly challenge based off the Mini96 track. Each month he posts a new layout, using only the pieces from the standard mini96 track.

Mini-96 World Challenge

Iíve added many different sections to mine. Still havenít used everything Iíve got. Iím due for a layout change. Been running this one since March.

I can tell you one thing for sure. Running on this works as practice for both 1/12 and 1/10 on road. After running MiniZ for over 2 years. 1/12 feels like a bigger version of it.
Milkdudd likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.