AMBrc 8g
GTX 18g
Motor 160~180g
wires and plugs ~ 10g
-----------------------
Left side Total: 252g~272g

On the right side is just a 6 cell battery
IB3800 400g

Currently I have not sticked any weights on the chassis. Is my chassis unbalanced right now? There is a difference of 128g~148g from left to right.
The chassis itself seems to be pretty balance left to right so I think only the electronics, motors, and batteries would matter here.

If I were to use a lipo pack which is only 260g, wouldn't that balance with the electronics side pretty perfectly?

Will balancing the weight of the car more precisely help the handling of the car? Or am I okay right now with one side heavier then the other?
lookinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only way to balance a chassis is actually balancing using the two holes at the ends of the chassis. The reason you can't just do it by adding up the weights of stuff is because their center of gravities are all different legnths from the centerline, therefore they have weight down the chassis with different forces. It's like on a seesaw, a fat kid can be "outweighed" by a little kid if the little kid sits way for out and the fat kid sits near the middle.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Hmm..good point! I never thought of that! I could actaully balance my car with the two hole pretty good even tho one side has more heavy stuff.

The reason why I am thinking about this is that I want to change my GTX to a GTB and run brushless. However the GTB esx and the brushless motor is heavier and I don't know if it would mess up the balance of the car
Old 03-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Whenever your going with the gtb system it will definetely upset the balance of your car. Here's how you do it: first get yourself the hudy balancing thingies and put them underneath the chassis at the balancing holes in the centerline of the car.second, get a leveling bubble and put in on top of the upper deck in the centerine of the car. third, you will want to install the speedo all the way towards the centerline of the car as much as you can without rubbing the belt this will make you use less weights to balance the car. Fourth, with everything install in the car use weights to balance the car until it is balacing itself and the leveling bubble is in the center. You may want to move the PT to the side opposite of the speedo...............Gilbert
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

set the car on 4 digital scales.................................
Old 03-22-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Where can you buy 4 good digital scales? What kind work the best? Will a piece of .75 lexan be stable enough to use?

B
rockdog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog200
Where can you buy 4 good digital scales? What kind work the best? Will a piece of .75 lexan be stable enough to use?

B
You could try THESE , just remember what ever you buy it must have a 500g. or more weight limit.
BUT THESE are the ones I bought and they work great. You can get pretty annul adjusting the car with these things.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Using scales to balance the car is not the right way to do it. There is to many variables to account for when your doing it this way. You should balance the car using gravity first then you can put it in the scales or tweak station to balance the suspension. The tires have to be the exact same size, the shocks must be equal side to side, the ride height must be equal in both sides. when you achieve the same weight on each side with the chassis been perfectly level to the ground, then the car is perfectly balance.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Thats very true

Scales and balance are two different things.

The scales will take into account small differences that the shocks/springs/ preload may make on the suspension.

With the balance tools ( i've used golf tee's ) - it does balance only. The variables in the suspension are completely removed - allowing you to adjust those after you have balanced the car.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche928gs
Using scales to balance the car is not the right way to do it. There is to many variables to account for when your doing it this way. You should balance the car using gravity first then you can put it in the scales or tweak station to balance the suspension. The tires have to be the exact same size, the shocks must be equal side to side, the ride height must be equal in both sides. when you achieve the same weight on each side with the chassis been perfectly level to the ground, then the car is perfectly balance.
Yes your statement is true...........but when you put it on scales you can get it to drive perfectly. I agree droop has to be set, but if you Assume all your springs are perfectly matched you are making a big mistake. I real auto racing they balance the car out on 4 scales, that's good enough for me. When I use scales the car always drives the same.............
Paul
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog200
Where can you buy 4 good digital scales?B
You'll find an array of different scales on ebay. I got four of these a couple years ago. They work great. Good for up to 3 kg, accuracy of .5 gram.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6
Thats very true

Scales and balance are two different things.

The scales will take into account small differences that the shocks/springs/ preload may make on the suspension.

With the balance tools ( i've used golf tee's ) - it does balance only. The variables in the suspension are completely removed - allowing you to adjust those after you have balanced the car.
I'm glad someone could grab what I was trying to explain about properly balancing a car. Thank You........Well said......Gilbert
Old 03-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Scales are nice for tweak... but to "Balance" the car you have to do what porsche928gs said. You can take a car that is not balanced and get it to tweak on the scales but you are just compensating for the imbalance through suspension adjustment. In other words balance the car first and scale (tweak) it second.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Here's a good thread on this very subject from a couple of years back.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...hassis+balence
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:26 AM   #15
Tech Regular

So basically I use the Hudy Balancing tool under the two holes down the middle of the chassis to balance it left and right first.

Then I put it on 4 scales to make sure every wheel has the same weight?