R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Cyclone vs T2

I had the cyclone for about 4 months before deciding to buy the T2 i always thought that the cyclone was the best car i had ever driven but i also found it to be inconsistent, i bought the T2 with the idea to sell the cyclone but after a few meetings i am not convinced and i am considering going back to the cyclone as i feel this is a faster car generally if you get the setup right.
The x ray is easier to set up though.

Has anyone else had the opportunity to try both cars and what are your opinions.

This is not a thread for people to say go for HB because thats who sponsors me etc etc

This is for people to voice their Facts on both cars and personal opinions.
LEE UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

from what im reading this is what it sounds like.
You like the cyclone because youve prolly had it longer and more time to play with to get the feel for and get things tune'd up. But then on the xray its just easier to setup. So from going off what your telling us id stay with the xray a few more meetings and get maybe a real nice setup going and then compare it to you cyclone ive seen the t2 in action and its pretty fast. Never seen a cyclone. But if you decide to sell either one let me know id like to try one of the cars myself. Good luck on trying to figure out what to do i say its a toss up either cars going to do the job.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't currently own a T2, but I've driven cars from Associated, Yokomo, Xray, HPI, and then some. I run the Cyclone now and it's the best handling car yet. It's also very easy IMHO to work on and make setting changes. Of course it's not perfect, but no car is. You need two shave off a bit of a pivot block if you want to raise it up higher, and the stock dogbones bend easily ($10-15 fix though) Easy access to the diffs, layshaft, and pinion.
Also, Jason of BMI is coming out with a Cyclone chassis kit, which should only make the car better.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Tech Adept

The x ray is a great car without doubt but i just fel that the cyclone will turn faster lap times IMO

Are there any tips on freeing up the drivetrain mine just feels a little tight when i put the belts on, they are in the loosest settings on the diffs but it doesn`t spin as free as the T2 for instance.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE UK
The x ray is a great car without doubt but i just fel that the cyclone will turn faster lap times IMO

Are there any tips on freeing up the drivetrain mine just feels a little tight when i put the belts on, they are in the loosest settings on the diffs but it doesn`t spin as free as the T2 for instance.
Makre sure all your bearings are clean, lightly oiled, and spin freely. Make sure the diffs spin freely on their own without the belts, just to check for binding. Don't worry too much if the belts don't spin on their own, it only matters how smooth it is with a load on it.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Wanna Try MSX ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Tech Adept

yeah i have done all that and it is good but i also supppose the diffs are lighter on the cyclone than the x ray so there will be less rotating mass, not sure if this will effect it much though
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i own 2 cyclones and have run a T2 on asphalt only.they are both excelent cars but at the same time a little different.the T2 has a more stable feel to it.i felt that the T2 was a nice car to drive but i could run consistantly faster with the cyclone.once i have gotten the cyclone set up down,it is with out a doubt an awesome car.its very easy on tires and is pretty easy to set up once you get in the ballpark.i very rarely have to make setup changes from track to track and when i do they are minor.the T2 has not really had much time on asphalt from what i hear so we will have to wait and see how the pros do with it.all and all they are both great cars,i just prefer the cyclone.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I ran the T2 on asphalt at the weekend and i just feel that there is too much flex, the chassis is twisting instead of the shocks doing the work and this cant be good unless your out for a sunday drive.

A fast car has always been a car built on a stiff chassis with the suspension well balanced and woring as one, in my opinion
Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

get a yok bd lee. and all you troubles will be gone.
and get some work done. you must have more spare time than me.
KERMODE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
Tech Adept

A lot of people like the yoke and i had one years ago, the old M2 but i havent had on since and never really consider them when thinking about choosing a car.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE UK
I ran the T2 on asphalt at the weekend and i just feel that there is too much flex, the chassis is twisting instead of the shocks doing the work and this cant be good unless your out for a sunday drive.

A fast car has always been a car built on a stiff chassis with the suspension well balanced and woring as one, in my opinion
Are you kidding? Did you have all the screws in the car and have it setup in "stiff" mode?
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to hurley081182 Send a message via Yahoo to hurley081182

go the opposite company then what everyone else is. everyone is running a t2 so go anything else....lol so go cyclone. that is how i desided. and i can always get parts for it if i need it.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Yes it was in stiff mode at the end of the day, it was the only way i could get to notice any changes i made, its like any form of racing, fast cars are stiff cars, ie f1 cars with monocoque chassis just one example
Old 03-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #15
Tech Adept

I found out that my car got faster everytime I made it stiffer.. Even if the track was cold and dirty... I run almost full stiffness right now and I am faster than ever before.. Also I could feel the changes that I made to the car better if it was stiff.

-Hugo
hugovdb is offline   Reply With Quote