Old 11-09-2022, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

see below
Old 11-09-2022, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rtebbe View Post
Installed the 2022 Montech front wing. It cleared, but only by a frogs hair. Went ahead and trimmed the point to increase clearance.
Do you have a shim in between you caster adjustment arm?
Old 11-09-2022, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

As traction has come up at my track car is starting to get tippy. It was edgy before, but now it is affecting times because I have to take every turn delicately. Outside of gluing tires,
  1. do I want to stiffen the center shock?
  2. stiffen or soften the micro shock?
  3. add or take away droop.
I am using John Barrons carpet setup with exotek red tires. I have CRC's on the way. Using a gear diff with 30k but I have a spool on the way as well. In certain turns it is pulling up the rear inside tire. In the sweeper it is on two wheels. I do have my inside endpoint limiting me to 18 on the Hudy gauges. Any suggestions on where to start?

Last edited by ryan391; 11-09-2022 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryan391 View Post
As traction has come up at my track car is starting to get tippy. It was edgy before, but now it is affecting times because I have to take every turn delicately. Outside of gluing tires,
I am using John Barrons carpet setup with exotek red tires. I have CRC's on the way. Using a gear diff with 30k but I have a spool on the way as well. In certain turns it is pulling up the rear inside tire. In the sweeper it is on two wheels. I do have my inside endpoint limiting me to 18 on the Hudy gauges. Any suggestions on where to start?
I had a similar issue last week at a new high grip track. Feeling tippy at high speed turns. Going softer in the rear helped more than going stiffer. Ended up with yellow side springs and stock top springs and going to 7mm in spacers where the micro shocks attach to the lower rear pod (this softens the micro spring leverage). Went slightly firmer on the front kingpin spring too- Xray black 5.0 I believe and ran my weight bias more rearward to plant the rear tires more along with a gear diff with 3k. Gave the car just a a little less steering so was great after all of that.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Do you have a shim in between you caster adjustment arm?
I believe I do. Had someone assisting me with set up and they put this on.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I had a similar issue last week at a new high grip track. Feeling tippy at high speed turns. Going softer in the rear helped more than going stiffer. Ended up with yellow side springs and stock top springs and going to 7mm in spacers where the micro shocks attach to the lower rear pod (this softens the micro spring leverage). Went slightly firmer on the front kingpin spring too- Xray black 5.0 I believe and ran my weight bias more rearward to plant the rear tires more along with a gear diff with 3k. Gave the car just a a little less steering so was great after all of that.
Thank you for the reply. I had already added 1mm to the lower rear shocks and i have yellow springs. Is this 7mm total? My car is at the track, I will have to see where I am at tomorrow. I have a 2.8 xray center spring. I upped the fluid to Associated 40 from 35 . That felt a little better until the traction came up I have the c5 black xray springs up front. I might try the stock center spring.

Weight bias is interesting. I have really kept everything centered. All other platforms at my track run a horizontal battery. I think tomorrow changing to stock center spring and battery position will be my first experiment.

I wonder if adding the internal spring to center shock would help.

BTW this is not specific to me, or Exotek. The Xrays are having the same issue, for the trollers that will try to say it is the car.
RedBMaster likes this.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

I just bought a Exotek Ultra Body. It had dimples in the approximate place for the body post. Are these accurate or should I mount before I paint?

Old 11-10-2022, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just bought a Exotek Ultra Body. It had dimples in the approximate place for the body post. Are these accurate or should I mount before I paint?
Mine were dead nuts on.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Oh yeah, welcome to ultra high grip! 99% of the tippyness is related to tire glue! I testest 59mm of glue on Gravity tires last night and it was impossible to drive. I went to my normal 60mm and it was 10x better.

I have not had a chance to get any testing on the Exotek tires. Based on your feedback, I'd start with at least 60mm of glue. If the Exotek tires are taller then it may need more glue.

The next big thing is where you're mounting the steering links. I assume you're using a normal wide wing. With these wings I'm finding it best to run the servo all the way forward with the inside holes on the Xray servo saver (the ones closest to the servo spline). This will slow the steering action and make it much easier to drive. Still use the rear most holes in the steering knuckles.

Now, after you have glued to the moon here is where I troubleshoot and what has worked for us. Take away front caster. This is one of the single biggest adjustments I do on the car. If you feel like you're missing overall steering then add camber. You'll know if you hit the caster limit when the car pushes on corner exit. So, play with the balance between caster and camber. I generally don't go above 2* of camber, but I'd say definitely don't go beyond 2.5*.

The next one I'm finding is higher weight oil in the micro shocks! We're up to 800cst at this time with the medium micro shock springs. This is something we're still developing so I'd expect it to change over the next few months. I'll post new findings on Facebook if you'd like to follow the F1 Ultra group there or follow me jbarronii.

That should be about all you'll need to get your car straightened out! Beware of the CRC dead rear tires! Unless they changed mfg again they were pretty bad.
JCarr and ER_Torfulson like this.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Oh yeah, I almost foregot! Total steering throw is a huge setting. I found even back in the day running Xray that too much steering makes the front end plow or in extreme grip it makes the car super tippy/traction roll. I'd recommend setting steering throw to 18* on the inside tire after you've made the steering link changes listed above! If you'd like a bit more I'd say 20* is the absolute max.
JCarr likes this.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

I tried some of the changes today.
1. 750 in the micro shocks was the absolute wrong thing for me. Car was undriveable. I put 35wt in them and car was a little better.
2. went to stock center shock from xray 2.8. This was a little better. Car was still edgy.
3. I had already added 1mm to the lower mini shock, so i have 6mm total. I did not change this because it is a pain in the butt to get to,
4. I did not i have the servo as far forward as it goes. speaking with a local pan car guru, he suggested less caster, ( i think I am at 12, maybe 10) less camber ( i am at 1).
5 Next I am going flatten center shock angle.
6 reglued the tires (CRC all the way to the gutter) did not make much difference. I added another coat and will try them again Friday or Saturday.
7. I did notice after putting CRC on my rear pod ride height was 5.6. I am at 4.0 on the solid chassis. i do not think this was my main problem, but did not realize unit I was done.

Lastly, seems that most flipping is off power. On power it is pretty stuck.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RedBMaster View Post
Oh yeah, I almost foregot! Total steering throw is a huge setting. I found even back in the day running Xray that too much steering makes the front end plow or in extreme grip it makes the car super tippy/traction roll. I'd recommend setting steering throw to 18* on the inside tire after you've made the steering link changes listed above! If you'd like a bit more I'd say 20* is the absolute max.
This is massive in making the car behave, and works just like John says; lots of steering still, but got rid of the tendency to plow, and cut out virtually all hints of being tippy. Worked great on the original chassis, and still just as great on the CW conversion.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Mike,

is part # 2097 a replacement for the old blue suspension clips that we glued on?
Old 11-14-2022, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

That info above is good to know.. I’ll need to make changes before I hit the track 😬

Anyone put a halo on the Exotek body? Pics and info where to buy one please….

Getting closer, got the body done today 🏁🏁

MikeR, JCarr, gwhiz and 2 others like this.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andybellus View Post
Getting closer, got the body done today 🏁🏁
sweet. re-up when you put wheels/tires please

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.