Like Tree684Likes

Gt12 USA Spec

Old 09-14-2023, 10:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simple
Our club has faced a similar dynamic, albeit certainly not backwards.
We've had more members get back into 12th scale, when they had left the class for touring car classes instead.
Less so "new" to 12th scale.
It definitely helped to establish participation in 12th, where it had all but disappeared locally just prior to the pandemic.
WE always had 12th scale racers in our club - but the challenge was getting enough to show up on the same day to justify running the class. That's NOT a problem anymore. And I firmly believe we can thank the rubber wheels for that.
We donít have any consistent TC based classes running. Itís basically stock 1/12, GT12 or WGTR. We had a good surge of drivers 15 months back when we started running it. And after the first couple months the fast 1/12 drivers left GT12 for the back half of 1/12 and newer. Then they all came back to GT12. And one by one most of the new/newer 1/12 drivers dropped out. Just stopped being fun. Spend most of the race just getting out the way.

I ran slightly better out of state then at home. But dropped out after getting lapped twice in less then the first 3 minutes of my last race.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Some of it is continuing to encourage the new drivers that feel like they may get in the way. Teaching them how to manuever when a faster car comes they ask they won't lose time, letting them know that you don't just get fast overnight etc etc. On road, because that's what's I'm generally apart of, can be very cliquish. I am fortunate for our track to be very inviting... the 'clique' is the whole family of races and those that keep it going
racing_jason, nik77356 and simple like this.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by phatboislim
Some of it is continuing to encourage the new drivers that feel like they may get in the way. Teaching them how to maneuver when a faster car comes they ask they won't lose time, letting them know that you don't just get fast overnight etc etc. On road, because that's what's I'm generally apart of, can be very cliquish. I am fortunate for our track to be very inviting... the 'clique' is the whole family of races and those that keep it going
This is a problem at a lot of tracks, it's easy for the faster drivers to kind of create a "clique" and honestly it's not meant to be it just kind of happens. Where I race we are pretty lucky and have a similar 'Race family' but sadly it's not the case for everyone's race community. It's not just the racers though that can help with this, but also race directors. I know we all like full heats to help the day a long but if they can divide the heat of 8 into 4 and 4 it helps keep everyone racing with people of similar ability. This does add time to the day/evening but an extra 30min (Extra 3 races) to keep everyone happy goes a long ways.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The root cause (I hate that term) is too many different classes, which means that thereís not ever enough entrants in any one class for the qualifying to sort out the drivers into groups of similar abilities as the qualifying system is designed to do. If there were 20 or 30 guys or more in a single class (like the good old days), and a reshuffle after round one (or even maybe seeded heats), then the faster guys would be grouped together and the slower guys would have their own battle to enjoy. All of that natural sorting process went out the window with the introduction of sedans - 17.5, 21.5, 25.5, VTA, USGT, mod, F1, trucks, WGT, etc, etc. So nowadays itís rare for any club races to ever have a C, D, or E main where the less skilled guys can have some fun without the intimidation of the fast guys whizzing by multiple times. Thin fields in a bevy of different classes is even becoming a problem at the bigger events. I long for the days in Cleveland when there were 300+ entrants and just 2 classes - stock 1/12th and mod 1/12. My first trip there I think I won the P or Q main 🤪. As I gained skills, it was always my goal and a huge accomplishment to just qualify for the A main alongside a group of 9 other highly skilled pilots. IMO that was the heyday of RC racing.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor
The root cause (I hate that term) is too many different classes, which means that there’s not ever enough entrants in any one class for the qualifying to sort out the drivers into groups of similar abilities as the qualifying system is designed to do. If there were 20 or 30 guys or more in a single class (like the good old days), and a reshuffle after round one (or even maybe seeded heats), then the faster guys would be grouped together and the slower guys would have their own battle to enjoy. All of that natural sorting process went out the window with the introduction of sedans - 17.5, 21.5, 25.5, VTA, USGT, mod, F1, trucks, WGT, etc, etc. So nowadays it’s rare for any club races to ever have a C, D, or E main where the less skilled guys can have some fun without the intimidation of the fast guys whizzing by multiple times. Thin fields in a bevy of different classes is even becoming a problem at the bigger events. I long for the days in Cleveland when there were 300+ entrants and just 2 classes - stock 1/12th and mod 1/12. My first trip there I think I won the P or Q main 🤪. As I gained skills, it was always my goal and a huge accomplishment to just qualify for the A main alongside a group of 9 other highly skilled pilots. IMO that was the heyday of RC racing.
Yes; There are a lot of classes. And..... there are a LOT of people that insist on competing in multiple classes.
Don't blame the variety - blame the RC addicts that enjoy participating in everything.

I pity the poor race directors that try to please everyone.
They either risk reduced class numbers, or alienating club members. Some clubs are just too small to do the latter.

Last edited by simple; 09-19-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vafactor
The root cause (I hate that term) is too many different classes, which means that thereís not ever enough entrants in any one class for the qualifying to sort out the drivers into groups of similar abilities as the qualifying system is designed to do. If there were 20 or 30 guys or more in a single class (like the good old days), and a reshuffle after round one (or even maybe seeded heats), then the faster guys would be grouped together and the slower guys would have their own battle to enjoy. All of that natural sorting process went out the window with the introduction of sedans - 17.5, 21.5, 25.5, VTA, USGT, mod, F1, trucks, WGT, etc, etc. So nowadays itís rare for any club races to ever have a C, D, or E main where the less skilled guys can have some fun without the intimidation of the fast guys whizzing by multiple times. Thin fields in a bevy of different classes is even becoming a problem at the bigger events. I long for the days in Cleveland when there were 300+ entrants and just 2 classes - stock 1/12th and mod 1/12. My first trip there I think I won the P or Q main 🤪. As I gained skills, it was always my goal and a huge accomplishment to just qualify for the A main alongside a group of 9 other highly skilled pilots. IMO that was the heyday of RC racing.
Another really good point. The abundance of options that are available for a driver to choose to run is crazy. I do think its a double edge sword, you have to have something that appeals to a bunch of people but it's so easy to end up with 'watered' down classes. I do miss the simple stock, super stock, and mod options for each style of car. I am glad to see F1 has kind of settled in on one power and tire style for the most part, maybe there is some hope still.
As far as 'seeding' heats, LiveTime has some decent tools available, you have the option to assign the ability of drivers (RD has to be unbiased),or you can sort by series points which works out pretty well for our local track once we get through the first hand full of races.
simple likes this.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default First post here.

Hey team,
I'm sure it's in here somewhere but could someone direct me to a cache of GT12 setup sheets please?

Also, I see on the SJT site that they have some basic recommendations with regards to running the rubber tires. What do I HAVE to do?
Old 10-03-2023, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SquareOne
rubber tires. What do I HAVE to do?
I think you're looking for the gt12-rubber tire thread.

GT12-RT
mrreet2001, Nego and Billy Kelly like this.