Like Tree35Likes

Gt12 USA Spec

Old 06-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Iíve always liked the idea 1/12, but never got into it because 1.Tires... even if cheap, constantly trueing tires and pinion gears for rollout seamed like an unnecessary pain. 2. Battery... I already run 2s in other classes, having to worry about having an expensive multi port charger or switching up a 1 port to run two classes, nope... 1s ESC with built in booster are (until very recently) expensive. Yet another cost. Finally run time. I know we run an 8 min main in VTA, but that is one run of they day. The rest of everything run all day is 5/6 min. Why the poop does 1/12 need 8 min for every run??? Itís dumb. Stop it. No one (that doesnít run 1/12) likes to marshal your 8 min qualifyer when they only run 5 min. And it makes the race day that much longer. (Let the flying by the diehards begin)

now rubber tires, 2s, realistic bodies!!! Iím defiantly giving this a serious thought. I hope it catches on.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Iíve always liked the idea 1/12, but never got into it because 1.Tires... even if cheap, constantly trueing tires and pinion gears for rollout seamed like an unnecessary pain. 2. Battery... I already run 2s in other classes, having to worry about having an expensive multi port charger or switching up a 1 port to run two classes, nope... 1s ESC with built in booster are (until very recently) expensive. Yet another cost. Finally run time. I know we run an 8 min main in VTA, but that is one run of they day. The rest of everything run all day is 5/6 min. Why the poop does 1/12 need 8 min for every run??? Itís dumb. Stop it. No one (that doesnít run 1/12) likes to marshal your 8 min qualifyer when they only run 5 min. And it makes the race day that much longer. (Let the flying by the diehards begin)

now rubber tires, 2s, realistic bodies!!! Iím defiantly giving this a serious thought. I hope it catches on.
Ií ve only used the pre-cut foams so far. Iíve got no interest in getting into truing tires.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Ií ve only used the pre-cut foams so far. Iíve got no interest in getting into truing tires.
Here's been a kicker. 1/12 has become very tire (foam) intense the last few years. Until a limit on the number of sets you could use came in it was a set a run. Now that limit is 4 sets and I will bet that the top 20 guys at the birds used all 4 plus a couple sets for practice. Even GT12 had a tire limit there. That is a major reason why we got to rubber tires. The foam tires is why WGT went away.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
Here's been a kicker. 1/12 has become very tire (foam) intense the last few years. Until a limit on the number of sets you could use came in it was a set a run. Now that limit is 4 sets and I will bet that the top 20 guys at the birds used all 4 plus a couple sets for practice. Even GT12 had a tire limit there. That is a major reason why we got to rubber tires. The foam tires is why WGT went away.
Big events arenít on my radar. I pay no attention to them. So far removed from what most of us do.

As a convert to the racing side. Iím all for any thing that might get others to try. On road is not in a good place in my area. Iíll be trying the current foams this weekend on pavement, if things go as planned.

Iíll definitely get rubber tires to try once available. Most likely Iíd get both the ones you linked to, and the Rush tires once available
Old 06-11-2020, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

I probably shouldn't have gone that deep but I am a old R/C racer (since 88) and I have seen a whole lot of startups and failures. I like to guide with my experience. You can accept it or not because it is just advice from experience.
I am a retired manufacturing equipment engineer. I worked for a couple of larger companies that had plants all over the world. The hardest part of the job was to get everyone on the same page and understand that most of what was done was good everywhere and any good idea should be shared. Getting the "not invented here so it can't be good" mentality.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow Old Dude I started before you (August 1979). All we had was 1/12th and 1200mah batterys and we raced 8 minutes. !/12th has always been 8 minutes. Our 1 cell version of GT12 that we have been running for 5 years here in Florida with 21.5 is 6 minutes spec wgt type tires and open gear ratio. A new guy shows up and we give him the gear ratio to start with. We gladly share the info. As for the new tires the rubber skins don't work on asphalt - they blister. We are waiting for the Rush tires to arrive to test both indoors and outdoors) Florida racing is mostly outdoor presently with only once a month indoors.
The cheap HW esc can run 1 cell with out a booster- Just depends on being lucky. I've run them both ways before.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

​​​​​​8 min run time goes back to 4 cell packs and dumping. Dumping is not an issue any more. The races could probably run 20 or 25 minutes.

1S ESC. Non-issue. How many people pull apart a working car for an ESC? Almost no one. We like to buy new for our new car, new motor, new servo.

Charging. Non-issue. Every new charger offers 1S to 6S. No balance charge required for 1S. No special voodoo.

Low wear, high grip tires. That will be a game changer for the hobby. It's the way to go regardless of electronics, motor and scale.

The 1S is actually more race worthy due to voltage and available torque. Top speed is irrelevant when you have 8 to 10 cars racing. Most will not be able to manage the speed of 25.5 without a lot of practice, 1S or 2S.

I'm not arguing. Do what works. Keep your tracks open.
Markus and BullFrog like this.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
​​​​​​8 min run time goes back to 4 cell packs and dumping. Dumping is not an issue any more. The races could probably run 20 or 25 minutes.

1S ESC. Non-issue. How many people pull apart a working car for an ESC? Almost no one. We like to buy new for our new car, new motor, new servo.

Charging. Non-issue. Every new charger offers 1S to 6S. No balance charge required for 1S. No special voodoo.

Low wear, high grip tires. That will be a game changer for the hobby. It's the way to go regardless of electronics, motor and scale.

The 1S is actually more race worthy due to voltage and available torque. Top speed is irrelevant when you have 8 to 10 cars racing. Most will not be able to manage the speed of 25.5 without a lot of practice, 1S or 2S.

I'm not arguing. Do what works. Keep your tracks open.
Track size would be a factor. I was doing 11 minute at St.Charles with problem.

Iím just guessing but 25.5 on 2s would be faster then F1. I run my 17.5 once on pavement. Iím planning to try them Sunday on pavement
BullFrog likes this.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Track size would be a factor. I was doing 11 minute at St.Charles with problem.

Iím just guessing but 25.5 on 2s would be faster then F1. I run my 17.5 once on pavement. Iím planning to try them Sunday on pavement
The difference should be due to weight and traction. The 12th should get faster laps. Battery capacity will be the determining factor for overall run time.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Wow Old Dude I started before you (August 1979). All we had was 1/12th and 1200mah batterys and we raced 8 minutes. !/12th has always been 8 minutes. Our 1 cell version of GT12 that we have been running for 5 years here in Florida with 21.5 is 6 minutes spec wgt type tires and open gear ratio. A new guy shows up and we give him the gear ratio to start with. We gladly share the info. As for the new tires the rubber skins don't work on asphalt - they blister. We are waiting for the Rush tires to arrive to test both indoors and outdoors) Florida racing is mostly outdoor presently with only once a month indoors.
The cheap HW esc can run 1 cell with out a booster- Just depends on being lucky. I've run them both ways before.
In 79 I was running full size race cars. I did that from 70 until 87 on and off. Moved to R/C to keep fuling the racing bug. Believe it or not the rules and my class is better than your class BS happens in big car racing as well. I was a rules committee member at the local short track for many years. Nothing has changed but it taught me a lot.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

25.5 on 2s at 702 is close to the speed of 17.5 sedan but a lot more driveable in my opinion. We gear between 2.2 and 2.5. 10 minute runs for the Grand Prix were reasonable motor temperatures. That was at a race where everything was 10 minutes with two automated pit stops except f1 ran 12 minutes.

For our community, people either reuse escs etc or pull them from a car more than just buy more. Reuse of old equipment or ability to get something used easily was a motivating factor in trying this setup.

Right or wrong, the community perception is that 12th scale has to be difficult. What we've seen is that our formula has reversed that trend. Looks like we get to try some rubber tires this weekend which will open up a whole bunch of people to be interested.

I agree with liljohn, use what works and keep the rubber burning for your community. Hopefully that gives us the opportunity to grow the hobby.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

If we could just let pancar die out already that would be great
Old 06-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525 View Post
If we could just let pancar die out already that would be great
Why?

1/12 is far more fun then I ever expected. And easy to drive. The 1/12 thread makes them seem far more involved then Iíve found to be needed
RacinJ likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Of course I'm kidding as I would never want to see a on road class die out, but man they are boring to be around lol.

Ok I'm done

Marcos.J likes this.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I hope that is not the case. I think it's more a group of people trying something new and upsetting the status quo. We are putting more effort into paint than tuning at 702 so far.
Billy Kelly likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.