Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Swap a LiPo battery for NiMH Onroad tourer >

Swap a LiPo battery for NiMH Onroad tourer

Swap a LiPo battery for NiMH Onroad tourer

Old 05-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Swap a LiPo battery for NiMH Onroad tourer

Hello. I have a Serpent S411 RTR that I will be giving to a younger racer. I'd like to replace the 40C 5000mah Lipo that was being used in the car with a NiMH battery. The main reason being safety as I dont believe they can properly use, store and charge a LiPo.

Is this battery change possible on the serpent?

If so, my only concern is the performance decrease. The car atm is quick for its intended use and I'm hoping that the battery change won't impact it drastically. Is this realistic? What battery should I be looking for? TIA.

Last edited by Magneeto; 05-18-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If the esc can run nimh. There’s no problem. I have the S411. Only ran it on Lipo. Never looked into it the esc could
Old 05-18-2020, 10:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, the info online says it can take a 6 cell NiMH battery.

Appreciate if anyone can recommend a brand, model or pass on other info that can help me decide what to buy.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magneeto View Post
Hello. I have a Serpent S411 RTR that I will be giving to a younger racer. I'd like to replace the 40C 5000mah Lipo that was being used in the car with a NiMH battery. The main reason being safety as I dont believe they can properly use, store and charge a LiPo.
NiMH need to be handled carefully too.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:24 AM
Tech Rookie

In what way? I havent used NiMH for a long time but LiPo seems to have too many issues for kids to handle. The storage, discharge/recharging and managing the run time will be too much for them. I fear that they will at the very least ruin the battery quickly but my main concern is safety and fires.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You have safety issues with any type of battery but the failure mode of a NiMh is different. Any time you suddenly discharge a battery dangerous things happen. The fire from a LiPo is spectacular and very dangerous. A NiMh failure is typically a very quick melt down with cells venting and still a lot of heat. Main thing to do is have all batteries set up with connectors that don't allow reverse polarity connections. Also use simple chargers that are properly set to the battery chemistry. ESC's must also be capable of the battery chemistry and programmed for the battery type. That is mainly for low voltage shutoff. Other than that be careful and have fun.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Big performance difference is NiMH can't feed very high current draw (10C or less). They should be OK to run motor with lower power output like stock classes. But don't expect it to keep up with a lipo car.

I'm using Turnigy 4200mah sub-C stick packs in my Tamiya TT-02.

Last edited by userst; 05-19-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magneeto View Post
Ok, the info online says it can take a 6 cell NiMH battery.

Appreciate if anyone can recommend a brand, model or pass on other info that can help me decide what to buy.
Hey Magneeto FWIW I did come across this Tenergy universal smart charger and there were a bunch 3800 mAh Nimh packs in an estate sale.
I cycled them/tested and after one or 2 false peaks these packs have come back nicely, I used my old school ICE charger which does a real good job on NiMh ....anyways dont know what connectors you're running but you can just make/buy an adapter or change over to what you have from what I can tell these packs were never used ,like new they were just sitting .... I'll do $60 shipped for 2 packs with the charger/adapters.
here's a link to my post.
TYCO RC Charger/Dynamite MEGA Peak/HPI charger+MORE
Old 05-19-2020, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

there are many dangers in most batteries we use... nimh can and do fail so does a lipo a liion.but Ive abuse many of the A123 cells....A123 systems cells dont fail just die a slow death by taking less mah in..and the delivering less. no smoke no flames no explosions..seen a nimh go boom b4 see a lipo hiss the smoke then flames b4 also.seen niXX charged at 25 amps. with only short lives maybe 5-8 charges and runs. seen a lipo go up at a 3 amp charge ..it was 4500mah things happen all over deal with it..
Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am a big fan of Gens Ace. I have no experience with their NiMH, only LIPO. If I HAD TO buy a NiMH I would purchase them from Gens Ace.