Brush Serations, What Do They All Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brush Serations, What Do They All Do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Brush Serations, What Do They All Do?

I have bought a few motors etc and different brushes for them based on recommendations etc.

I notice there are so many different types of serations and grooves etc available on the brushes, but what do they all do?

Skiddins
Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I only run brushless now and i never got heavily into the motor tuning thing... but here's what i know.

brushes mainly carry the current on the edges... therefore, to increase the available number of edges to carry current, you can serrate your brushes.

Not only do serrations carry more current, but they allow the brush to conform to the shape of the comm faster.

As to the use of the various types of serrations i'm not so sure. In the past i've used a serrated brush witha hole drilled in it.. I just worked on the advice of others and it seemed to work...

Hope that helps...
Old 03-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The main reason is for a quicker break in.. A full face brush with no serrations will be better if they are the proper size.. Most people change brushes after the serrations are gone because the brushes are usually toast.. I dont re serrate.. i find after they are gone and you skim the com they get better every run..
Old 03-21-2006, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

I have notice on my Dyno that the motor is getting better after a few skims and I haven't changed the brushes, but I wasn't sure whther re cutting the brushes would make it even better.

The brushes I have kept in it look fine with absolutely no discolouration but obviously the serations have gone.

Skiddins
Old 03-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is info on what different cuts do to motor performance: http://www.team-paradigm.com/page.ph...otor%20Brushes