First tamiya build >

First tamiya build

Like Tree5Likes

First tamiya build

Old 05-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First tamiya build

hello everyone,
I have been wanting to build a on road 1/10 scale rc car. I have have a 2wd slash and a rustler vxl i love but I would love to have a road dedicated car. But am having frouble finding information about the differences on the cars and compatibility with electronics.
I've been looking at the tb 04r, is there a reason to go with a different chassis.
and as for electronics, I would like to go brushless and lipo since I already have a few lipo batteries and a charger, and don't know where to go from there.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

The Tamiya TB-04R is a very nice touring car chassis and will easily accept brushless gear and lipo battery packs. A decent 17.5 brushless sensored motor and quality ESC such as the Hobbywing Justock XR10 will get you started in the sedan class. If too fast, try a 21.5 motor (same ESC) for the USGT class. Slower still is VTA and you would need a 25.5 brushless motor.
rippen likes this.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
The Tamiya TB-04R is a very nice touring car chassis and will easily accept brushless gear and lipo battery packs. A decent 17.5 brushless sensored motor and quality ESC such as the Hobbywing Justock XR10 will get you started in the sedan class. If too fast, try a 21.5 motor (same ESC) for the USGT class. Slower still is VTA and you would need a 25.5 brushless motor.
what do you recommend for the transmiter/ receiver?
and as for the servo, do what does the servo need to be rated for.
additionally, I forgot to ask but will taymias 962 body fit, i could not find out if it was 190mm or not.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Spice Beans View Post
what do you recommend for the transmiter/ receiver?
and as for the servo, do what does the servo need to be rated for.
additionally, I forgot to ask but will taymias 962 body fit, i could not find out if it was 190mm or not.
I use an Airtronics MX-V radio set and it's brilliant. There is one for sale here on RCTech and it is brand new in the box. I'd grab that if I were you, if not already sold.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Radio is here, not mine and I do not know the seller.

FS: SANWA MX-V (NIB)
Old 05-09-2020, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Spice Beans;15636782will taymias 962 body fit.[/QUOTE]

Have you got a link to the body? I don't know of an RC 962 but the 956 is a 1/12th scale body for the RM01 chassis (and perhaps other 12th pan cars).Completely different to a touring car chassis.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I use an Airtronics MX-V radio set and it's brilliant. There is one for sale here on RCTech and it is brand new in the box. I'd grab that if I were you, if not already sold.
thanks for all your help Steve I've just about figured out all my electronics. One last question. I have multiple 2s and 3s traxxas lipo batteries with the id whatever. I would like to continue to use those batteries di I just need the xt90 to try converters.
I was looking at Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT Waterproof Combo w/Sensored 1410 Motor (3800Kv) because my local hobby shop has these and the rest of the parts I need in stock and I can just pick it up and not have to order one and wait. I know the motor provides more power but I am fine with that. Is this a bad choice or should I wait for them to get the justock ones in?
Old 05-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Have you got a link to the body? I don't know of an RC 962 but the 956 is a 1/12th scale body for the RM01 chassis (and perhaps other 12th pan cars).Completely different to a touring car chassis.
I looked again it is the 1/12 scale body thanks.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Did you consider the TB05? I have both the TB04R and TB05, and in my opinion the transmission on the TB05 is more efficient with less gears. Also, the TB05 has two motor mounting positions to choose from, front or rear motor.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rc_square24 View Post
Did you consider the TB05? I have both the TB04R and TB05, and in my opinion the transmission on the TB05 is more efficient with less gears. Also, the TB05 has two motor mounting positions to choose from, front or rear motor.
sold out unfortunately. I am completely open to more suggestions though. I don't plan on racing these competitively. Just want a awd road car that i can use the Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT Waterproof Combo w/Sensored 1410 Motor (3800Kv). Originally I wanted an f1 chassis but the price is a little to high for me.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

thanks for all your help Steve I've just about figured out all my electronics. One last question. I have multiple 2s and 3s traxxas lipo batteries with the id whatever. I would like to continue to use those batteries di I just need the xt90 to try converters.
I was looking at Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT Waterproof Combo w/Sensored 1410 Motor (3800Kv) because my local hobby shop has these and the rest of the parts I need in stock and I can just pick it up and not have to order one and wait. I know the motor provides more power but I am fine with that. Is this a bad choice or should I wait for them to get the justock ones in?
I am not a fan of the Castle or Traxxas brushless motors or speed controls. They are fine in a Slash or some of the other basher type offroad vehicles, but I personally would never use one in a proper sedan like that Tamiya TB-04R.

It is always best to use a hard case lipo pack in a sedan as they provide some measure of added protection should there be a crash or impact. There is nothing worse than a lipo fire and they burn white hot and water will not extinguish the flames. Traxxas uses their proprietary connector that works with their specific line of chargers. Again, fine for an offroad basher, but a bit clumsy in a sedan. I use 2S lipo batteries that have 4mm (or 5mm) female bullet connectors built into the pack. On my speed controls, I add 4mm (or 5mm) male bullet connectors and plug directly into the packs.

I have been using economical Goldbat 5000mah 80C 2S lipo packs I purchased off Amazon.ca for $38 CAN per pack. Maybe not the best of the best, but they work perfectly fine in my Tamiya TA-05 Ver.2 sedan and they are affordable.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sold out unfortunately. I am completely open to more suggestions though. I don't plan on racing these competitively. Just want a awd road car that i can use the Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT Waterproof Combo w/Sensored 1410 Motor (3800Kv). Originally I wanted an f1 chassis but the price is a little to high for me.
Is there a reason you want an SCT ESC in a touring car? It might be a tight fit, they can be quite large.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Any radio gear is fine use what you already have.
esc, HW justice is all you need, HW motors are inexpensive too and work great!
Have you considered a TT chassis? If you aren't racing, they come with cool bodies, ESC and a brushed motor in the box. All you need is a battery (2s) LiPo works within box ESC. TT chassis cars are really tough and great for playing with, especially if you don't plan to race. Really cheap too, $100 usd to start.

As for servo, you aren't racing do any servo will do. More important it's fast than torque.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SO... I'll safe the "gear" discussion for later.

Lets start with "First Tamiya Build".

1. Buy GOOD screwdrivers. Make sure they fit. #1 and #2 Phillips. You can look up some JIS screwdrivers, but I feel like they don't do as well as the cheap screwdirver set from home depot.
2. Buy a thread forming tap. M3. Not a thread cutting tap, thread forming.
3. Buy some good flush cutters.
4. Have some tire glue handy.

The TB04 is a middleground kit, between cheap (and self tapping) and expensive (with hex head) kits from Tamiya. All the screws appear to be machine threads. This is very good, as you end up with more engagement area. The downside is that they're hard to drive in the first time, and when you're applying torque to thread the screw, you can't feel the torque when the fastner bottoms out. This means the first time you install them, they're really easy to strip out.

A thread forming tap fixes that. You get the full thread depth you'll get from just screwing the screw in, AND you don't risk stripping the hole. Thread forming taps are $7 on amazon.

Getting tamiya parts off the tree.. well good flush cutters means you don't have slop on the part afterwords. This isn't essential, but it's darned nice.

Tire Glue/CA gets used in odd places sometimes. Also, you're going to be assembling the tires/rims. Why let that be a stumbling block.

---------------------

Electronics is usually a thing that's defined by preference (servo and receiver) and by race community (ESC and Motor) If you're just bashing? who cares. A sensorless motor is fine as long as you're not going slow. I see people recommending airtronics/sanwa. Those are quite expensive, but also they are good.... If you're not racing, i'm not sure you'll see the difference, but hey, it's your money. If budget is "a thing" at all. there are some quite fine Chinese radios out there.

Sensored motors have better tractability at low speeds. I use them exclusively. But.. without an esc that has "turbo" their top rpm tends to be limited.

Realisticly, if you have no plans on racing, ever.. you're asking questions that don't have much meaning ;-) Got a 3s esc? go for 3s. Got a 10000kv motor get a 6tooth pinion on there and see the moon.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
1. Buy GOOD screwdrivers. Make sure they fit. #1 and #2 Phillips. You can look up some JIS screwdrivers, but I feel like they don't do as well as the cheap screwdirver set from home depot.
You are 100% wrong here. Like saying "get a torx driver because I think they are better for hex screws than a hex driver is".

Phillips screwdrivers do not fit in JIS screws. They may look like they do, but the profile inside the head is different. Phillips screwdrivers only succeed in damaging the JIS screws.

No real need for a tap if you have a JIS screwdriver (Tamiya's own craft tools are often the easiest to find). A tap is a good tool to have, but I rarely use it.
dman18t and Chris916 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.