Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
First tamiya build >

First tamiya build

Like Tree5Likes

First tamiya build

Old 05-11-2020, 04:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
SO... I'll safe the "gear" discussion for later.

Lets start with "First Tamiya Build".

1. Buy GOOD screwdrivers. Make sure they fit. #1 and #2 Phillips. You can look up some JIS screwdrivers, but I feel like they don't do as well as the cheap screwdirver set from home depot.
2. Buy a thread forming tap. M3. Not a thread cutting tap, thread forming.
3. Buy some good flush cutters.
4. Have some tire glue handy.

The TB04 is a middleground kit, between cheap (and self tapping) and expensive (with hex head) kits from Tamiya. All the screws appear to be machine threads. This is very good, as you end up with more engagement area. The downside is that they're hard to drive in the first time, and when you're applying torque to thread the screw, you can't feel the torque when the fastner bottoms out. This means the first time you install them, they're really easy to strip out.

A thread forming tap fixes that. You get the full thread depth you'll get from just screwing the screw in, AND you don't risk stripping the hole. Thread forming taps are $7 on amazon.

Getting tamiya parts off the tree.. well good flush cutters means you don't have slop on the part afterwords. This isn't essential, but it's darned nice.

Tire Glue/CA gets used in odd places sometimes. Also, you're going to be assembling the tires/rims. Why let that be a stumbling block.

---------------------

Electronics is usually a thing that's defined by preference (servo and receiver) and by race community (ESC and Motor) If you're just bashing? who cares. A sensorless motor is fine as long as you're not going slow. I see people recommending airtronics/sanwa. Those are quite expensive, but also they are good.... If you're not racing, i'm not sure you'll see the difference, but hey, it's your money. If budget is "a thing" at all. there are some quite fine Chinese radios out there.

Sensored motors have better tractability at low speeds. I use them exclusively. But.. without an esc that has "turbo" their top rpm tends to be limited.

Realisticly, if you have no plans on racing, ever.. you're asking questions that don't have much meaning ;-) Got a 3s esc? go for 3s. Got a 10000kv motor get a 6tooth pinion on there and see the moon.
what size thread forming tap will I need?
Old 05-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

You don't need the thread forming tool. Get the Tamiya (JIS) screw driver and some ceramic grease, small dab on each screw as you drive it the first time and it will tread in perfectly. Just don't crank it.

Long term racers forget sometimes that simple is good enough when you are just playing for fun. Keep it simple.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dman18t View Post
You don't need the thread forming tool. Get the Tamiya (JIS) screw driver and some ceramic grease, small dab on each screw as you drive it the first time and it will tread in perfectly. Just don't crank it.

Long term racers forget sometimes that simple is good enough when you are just playing for fun. Keep it simple.
Definitely don't crank down, just snug is fine. You WILL strip out Tamiya plastics going all gorilla town on the screws. I bought the Tamiya driver for my Tamiya screws and have never regretted it.
dman18t likes this.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The type of toolset to get will depend on the kit you choose. If the kit comes with hex head screws then any 2mm hex driver will do. If its a Tamiya with cross head screws (whether machine thread or self tapping) then the Tamiya tool kit 74085 is the most commonly available toolset for those screws. No philips driver will compare with the fitment provided by the Tamiya JIS + drivers, stripping of the head is not an issue if correct tools are used.

The kit comes with 1.5 and 2mm bits as well so its a nice set to have for casual driving/bashing regardless if you own a tamiya or not, as it covers almost all sizes of metric screw heads you would ever come across in RC.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:10 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS-Screwdriver-3rd/dp/B00A7WAHTU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1MN5ZU100NKR6&dchild=1&keywords=ji+screwdriver+set&qid=1589299683&sprefix=jis+scr%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-4 https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS-Screwdriver-3rd/dp/B00A7WAHTU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1MN5ZU100NKR6&dchild=1&keywords=ji+screwdriver+set&qid=1589299683&sprefix=jis+scr%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-4

I also have these screwdriver sets too. Wish I had these way back in the day! They have worked really well for me.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spice Beans View Post
what size thread forming tap will I need?
M3x0.5 If you look for m3 thread forming, it's the only thing that's gonna show up.

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
You are 100% wrong here. Like saying "get a torx driver because I think they are better for hex screws than a hex driver is".
You say this. But you're wrong. I went and bought a set of JIS screwdrivers just for the Tamiya kits. I strongly suspect the self tapping screws that come with Tamiya kits are cheap enough that it's not really a difference that's of any significance. It DEFINITELY is a thing on my motorcycles.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-J...s%2C153&sr=8-4

I also have these screwdriver sets too. Wish I had these way back in the day! They have worked really well for me.
That's what I have. They're nice screwdrivers.

Originally Posted by dman18t View Post

​​​​​​​No, you don't need it. But for $7, it makes so many things better. It mostly eliminates the need to "feel" or "don't crank on it". When you're putting a screw in something, the signal you get that the screw is done is a sharp rise in torque. With pre-formed threads, when the screw bottoms it's a VERY SHARP change in torque, and you'll know you're done. If you're forming a thread while tightening things, a lot of the torque is being used to form the thread, which makes the torque of landing the screw head, feel less significant.

Grease helps. It's still not as good as having a pre-tapped hole. :-) Look, I bought JIS screwdrivers to try to make the job better, I spent $9 on a ~good~ 2mm HILTI wrench. Absolutely nothing in my hobby life is better than that M3 thread forming tap. ~nothing~. Don't knock it until you've tried it. :-) But that good 2mm wrench came close.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone know how to get the car to go into reverse. I got a sanwa mx-v and can't get the car to go into reverse.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone know how to get the car to go into reverse. I got a sanwa mx-v and can't get the car to go into reverse.
What ESC did you end up going with?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
What ESC did you end up going with?
I got a justock one. Found out its a race one with no reverse.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got a justock one. Found out its a race one with no reverse.
The Hobbywing XR10 Justock has reverse, you just need to enable it using the programming steps. Have you looked at the instructions?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
The Hobbywing XR10 Justock has reverse, you just need to enable it using the programming steps. Have you looked at the instructions?
I haven't but I will take a look, i was playing with the transmitter first time doing this so I don't know what I'm doing thanks