R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #16
Tech Regular

If you plan on running a dyno use a car battery. A mod motor will draw a ton of amps and will require nothing less than a 70 amp power supply. Power supplies are expensive and most people have a car battery lying around anyways to use. The only problem would be if you plan on taking your dyno to the track which would require you to lug around the huge battery.
team orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by XingXing
1. they will flick off if you add chargers to it when the PS is on.
No they don't, just buy a proper one.

2. they will flick off if you use it to power a dyno, especially mod motors. 9works ok for stock motors)

See 1.

3. the fan is always on, gets annoying

If you hear the fan on a meeting you have other problems
And see 1

4. depending on your club, they may not be legal (insurance issues)

I don't buy that, a PSU is a PSU. What do you think the switching supplies from Much-More and Graubner are?

5. it looks ugly

So

6. if you dont know what you are doing you could kill yourself

If you don't look when crossing the street.....

7. there PS is open, and foreign objects could fall in.

Depends on the model, and don't let things fall in.

8. they do not work with every charger.

Neither will the much-more or graubner one. Same technology.

9. you look like a tight arse.

You look smart because it saves money

My PSU delivers 26A continues for half the price of the MM unit. Nuff said.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 for vassago
I have both a "real" power supply and one that I have custom made. Both work great and my custom one doesn't look bad at all (25A), considering it cost me about $40. The other power supply is the PSV200, which IMHO is an awesome power supply for the money.

Also, if you truly want to make a power supply from scratch, you can. However, the proper transformer you would need alone would cost more than just buying a 12v computer power supply. Although then you would have a higher output voltage of ~14v and not have to worry about some of those power supplies that have overload protection.

You can definately save a good amount of money, but it depends on how much work you are willing to do and how much you know about electronics.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #19
Tech Regular

I opted to buy a computer PS off of ebay for 35 bucks. I didnt know exactly how to wire it up but with a voltmeter in hand, I found the wires to solder together and now I have a power supply that has lasted me the whole winter season and it has not broken. My computer PS has twin fans and is super quiet, (you can see that fans moving but there is really no sound to speak of). People can call you a tight wad if they want but when you use the money saved to buy yourself an extra battery pack you wont look so stupid anymore.
team orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by team orange
I opted to buy a computer PS off of ebay for 35 bucks. I didnt know exactly how to wire it up but with a voltmeter in hand, I found the wires to solder together and now I have a power supply that has lasted me the whole winter season and it has not broken. My computer PS has twin fans and is super quiet, (you can see that fans moving but there is really no sound to speak of). People can call you a tight wad if they want but when you use the money saved to buy yourself an extra battery pack you wont look so stupid anymore.
I would say someone who spends more money on something than what it's worth is the stupid one. Point in case, the Much More charges around 175 for their power supply, and all you get over a $55 Pyramid one is a different colored case.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nickmind

+2 for vassago

Quote:
buy a proper power supply.
dont bother with a computer one, especially if you have to pay for it.
here are a few issue with it...
2. they will flick off if you use it to power a dyno, especially mod motors. 9works ok for stock motors)
5. it looks ugly
This guy again??? 1 to 9 only is opinion, NOT FACT.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nickmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barch
Whats the site that would show him how to convert it?
This guy's question did not get answered.

Nick
Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to T1bobo

ummm preety much now all you guys are doing is yelling at eachother and my Q is still not answerd if i was to use a car battery would that be fine?
T1bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #24
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It would be fine.

But make sure you keep up charged up. They dont last long. Id charge it after every meeting.

I personally use a PSU right out of my PC. not modded. just shorted all the + wires together and found the two wires that provide 12v It has wires hanging out of it but, to be honest, who really cares??? Just do your impressing on the track, not on your pit table.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to T1bobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheyhoe
It would be fine.

But make sure you keep up charged up. They dont last long. Id charge it after every meeting.

I personally use a PSU right out of my PC. not modded. just shorted all the + wires together and found the two wires that provide 12v It has wires hanging out of it but, to be honest, who really cares??? Just do your impressing on the track, not on your pit table.

Hey thanks man,you wouldent happen to have any pics of your PS would you? if not what about how i would run my things with the car battery?
T1bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #26
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Have not got any pics of my PS, batterys dead in camera.

To use the car better is pretty simple. Find somthing like a large crocodile clip to go on both terminals of the battery and then clip all your equipment to it.

Some equipment comes with connectors like corrally ones, you can buy small clips to attach to these to make it easier.

You will need a 12v car battery charger. I assume you wil be able to buy these from that shop that you all seem to buy everything from.... "Walmart" I dont know as im in the UK :P Charge time varies on type of battery and charger.

Pretty straight forward.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

this is a link i used for my computer power supply....

here

the computer power supply that i am using right now is great.. it has a rating of 36amps on the 12v.........not sure how true that is..... or how long it can put that much power out........but i can tell you that i used 2 ice chargers at the same time, and was using the 5v output to cut brushes and or run the lathe........ all with no problems..... best of all.... the price of the power supply and the stuff to make it....... $40........

also another plus of the computer power supply over just a 12v power supply..... if you use a lathe or a brush cutter you can use the 3.3v or 5v output of the computer power supply.... that way you dont have to stop charging batteries to cut a motor or cut brushes or you dont have to get another (ice) or charger that has an output to run something like that...yes it is nice to have voltage control... but at the cost of another charger..... ($125 or more) this can get you buy until you have more money to get anther one.........
SteveJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
buy a proper power supply.

dont bother with a computer one, especially if you have to pay for it.

here are a few issue with it...

5. it looks ugly

I made both my own junction box AND power supply. They both look factory and do the job quite nicely thank you.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...chmentid=97223

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote