Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #76
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
Ray, i ran my motor 2-3 tooth up from my C2 and it was faster than the C2, i tried doing what you did but it was not as fast i was suprise you went down that much and was still fast.
your c2 was geared wrong.

look at the stack of each motor. the differences between the two indicate that the kd is going to have more rpm. and it does. relative to a correctly geared motor, you need to gear down for a higher rpm version.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #77
Tech Elite

also, i have found that even good 19T motors burn up when geared for the best lap times for 5 minutes. i rarely gear based on motor temp. if i gear for lap times, they come off hot, and the brushes look like a rainbow. even in this condition, my last laps are only .2 slower than the first few. if the spread is less than that, you're not taking advantage of the voltage curve up front!

i'm not a motor tuner by any stretch, but i log alot of laps in. and this is my finding with both the c2 and kd. how bad they burn up usually depends on what brush is in there.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
also, i have found that even good 19T motors burn up when geared for the best lap times for 5 minutes. i rarely gear based on motor temp. if i gear for lap times, they come off hot, and the brushes look like a rainbow. even in this condition, my last laps are only .2 slower than the first few. if the spread is less than that, you're not taking advantage of the voltage curve up front!

i'm not a motor tuner by any stretch, but i log alot of laps in. and this is my finding with both the c2 and kd. how bad they burn up usually depends on what brush is in there.
Has anybody tried the XXX brushes with the dragon and would using a modified ESC profile help with the burnt brushes or will that make the motor soft?
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #79
Tech Elite

i'm sorry for not clarifying. as you surmised, i was referring to the standard copper compound brushes. the silver ones, don't discolor. i have not had the silver brushes build up well with stock motors, though. we have just recently been running them in 19t, but it could just be an average, or below average lot of brushes.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #80
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
your c2 was geared wrong.

look at the stack of each motor. the differences between the two indicate that the kd is going to have more rpm. and it does. relative to a correctly geared motor, you need to gear down for a higher rpm version.
I know that with a higher rpm motor you would gear down as with a mod motor but i did gear down first 1 tooth and it was much slower than my C2 and i went down 2 tooth and it was worst so i went up 1 tooth and it was much better so i went up 2 tooth and that hit the sweet spot i was blazin fast and for my C2 I have it gear right because i am in the A main with the top racers with that gearing, it might be one of those fluke motor i have but it work for me.
Mutabarucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #81
Tech Elite

fair enough. but it should surprise you more that you are two teeth up, not that rayhuang is a few teeth under! one of your motors is an anomaly.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #82
Tech Addict

I can see that... I have 3 dragons and one of them has the magnets shifted inside the can, you can acctually see the edge of one side thru the vent hole... unfortunately it is shifted the wrong way and is wayyyyyy slow at any gearing, (I ended up gearing it similar to a Reedy) but it gets about 10 minutes of runtime for practice... for the other 2 I gear 2 teeth lower than a C2 and they are alright, but with 4499s they cook at the 3-4 minute mark. I'm gonna try the XXX brushes next.
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

I used to gear my C2's 3-4 teeth up from what I ran for stock(monster 48 pitch), now with the Komodo I run the same gearing as stock and my Cyclone is .3-.4 quicker per lap than my best C2 on an outdoor paved track....temp comes off around 150-160f and I can get 2-3 runs with F-brushes just skimming the com between runs. Gearing is 27-28/81 spur fdr is 7.31-7.05. 120' straight with a fairly flowing layout.
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #84
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rigg
I can see that... I have 3 dragons and one of them has the magnets shifted inside the can, you can acctually see the edge of one side thru the vent hole... unfortunately it is shifted the wrong way and is wayyyyyy slow at any gearing, (I ended up gearing it similar to a Reedy) but it gets about 10 minutes of runtime for practice... for the other 2 I gear 2 teeth lower than a C2 and they are alright, but with 4499s they cook at the 3-4 minute mark. I'm gonna try the XXX brushes next.
The magnet shift is a big deal. I have two perfectly centered Komodo that are fast. My very lucky buddy has advanced magents in his and its a monster in 1/12th.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #85
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I really like the XXX's in the komodo. I tend to spring my motors on the heavy side, but I think with the XXX's it is a good match.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #86
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AChupp2

Anyone have a gearing suggestion for a T4?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #87
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
The magnet shift is a big deal. I have two perfectly centered Komodo that are fast. My very lucky buddy has advanced magents in his and its a monster in 1/12th.

J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #88
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
Old 06-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #89
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #90
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3

To my left there is a motor breaking in that will make our next race result in some for you...(insert evil laugh)!