How to adjust Steering Ratio >

How to adjust Steering Ratio

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gigaplex

How to adjust Steering Ratio

Old 04-30-2020, 07:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default How to adjust Steering Ratio

Hello I have an 1:16 erevo truggy but I have transform it to onnroad because now I get into RC and discover my type. I have achieved a good control of the car while keep up with pace and racing lane but now I am facing a new issue that troubles my driving skills. My problem is that when I try to correct the car position on the driving lane; the steering just won't be so proportional as I want. For example I try so hard to follow a straight line after I a big turn. I am an F1 fun and test my driving on gaming so this is what I need the most of it; to reduce the steering ratio. How can I solve this error for better lap times. Better servo, transmitter with steering sensitivity?
Old 04-30-2020, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To answer your question in a very general way, it sounds like you may be dealing with an understeer then oversteer situation combined with too much speed. Due to the nature of vehicles like 1/16 scale monster trucks, they have a tendency to have a lot of suspension travel with very large tires. This is ideal for offroad, but not as much for on-road. I would suggest 3 things to improve your lap times.

1. Slow down in a straight line BEFORE you enter the corners.
2. When exiting the corner, wait until the vehicle is facing forward before applying additional throttle.
3. Your tires and/or setup may need changing to allow for more entry steering into the corners.

To provide any additional help it would be useful if you could provide us with the type of radio transmitter you are using. Without knowing this information we cannot know if your radio even supports more advance radio adjustments. Also it would be helpful to know what type of tires you are using.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your answer. I have already lower down the suspension as far as it gets and now I have only just 20mm space from body to ground. Pretty much I have very good traction from that improvement. The tires are 50mm wide. I think my driving skills are great and so the issue is not coming from excessive speed. I practise my racing lane on F1 gaming with guides. Please just make me a suggestion how to adjust the steering ratio. Maybe there is a tx with sensitivity settings? I use traxxas TQ2.7GHz that has only one knob and no multifuction knob. I don't know if there is a way to set this out. I mean on a straight line the minimum steering does not get where I want even if I lower my speed.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've not heard of anyone refer to a "steering ratio" before. Some radio settings you should research would be dual rate (the amount of steering throw) and exponential (you can change the steering curve profile). If your main issue is tracking in a straight line, negative exponential will help to reduce the steering sensitivity close to neutral without taking away the overall steering throw at full lock.

Depending on what radio you have, you might need an upgrade to get one with steering exponential settings.
glennhl likes this.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AntreasRC View Post
Thanks for your answer. I have already lower down the suspension as far as it gets and now I have only just 20mm space from body to ground. Pretty much I have very good traction from that improvement. The tires are 50mm wide. I think my driving skills are great and so the issue is not coming from excessive speed. I practise my racing lane on F1 gaming with guides. Please just make me a suggestion how to adjust the steering ratio. Maybe there is a tx with sensitivity settings? I use traxxas TQ2.7GHz that has only one knob and no multifuction knob. I don't know if there is a way to set this out. I mean on a straight line the minimum steering does not get where I want even if I lower my speed.
The Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz transmitter that comes with (your) the Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo have very limited steering adjustments. According to the instruction manual that is located on Traxxas' website, that particular transmitter only offers 2 steering adjustments which are Steering Trim & Steering Reversing. For additional information on this transmitter, please visit Traxxas' website at the following link where you can find specs and a downloadable .pdf version of the product manual.

(Specs) https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6516?t=overview
(Manual) https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6516?t=support

----------

Here are a couple of suggestions to improve your ON-ROAD experience using the Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo

Option 1) - UPGRADE or REPLACE your current transmitter with a model that has more electronic steering adjustments.
- Traxxas Upgrade option (may not be the cheapest option)
The Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo should have included the Traxxas #6519 TQ radio receiver. This Traxxas #6519 receiver appears to work with Traxxas TQ transmitters AND Traxxas TQi transmitters. Please refer to the following Traxxas TQi Compatibility Guide to confirm that your receiver will work with both of these transmitters.
https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-...tibility-Guide
The Traxxas TQi transmitter should offer additional steering options without needing to replace your existing receiver. If you buy a new Traxxas radio system, it should also include a new receiver. You can usually buy a used compatible Traxxas TQi transmitter for a reasonable price, but you may not get any type of warranty on this equipment.

- Replace option (new or used)
There are many different manufacturers that make surface vehicle radio systems. You can often find new systems that are better AND cheaper than the systems that are included with Ready To Run vehicles. I will not recommend a specific system, but you should be able to find reviews and manuals easily online.

Option 2) - Adjust the setup of your car.
I'm not going to describe all the specific details to improve a mini monster truck for on-road racing. But the basics for converting any off-road vehicle to on-road are the following:
- lower your car (shorter shocks/springs and/or smaller diameter on-road tires)
- replace fixed camber/steering links with adjustable turnbuckles (front toe-in/out adjustments can improve stability for example)

There are plenty of existing on-line resources and forums where you can find this information (plus I don't own this type of vehicle). Here is a link on the Traxxas website forums for discussion of the 1/16 E-Revo VXL.
https://forums.traxxas.com/forumdisp...-Slash-VXL-4WD

----------

In closing, off-road vehicles are designed to handle jumps and bumps. They will usually have a higher center of gravity that may be difficult to change effectively. While they can be setup or converted to run in on-road settings, they will never perform like a simulated F1 car. Even scale F1 R/C vehicles don't peform like their real world counterparts. Always keep in mind and accept the limitations of the vehicle your are using.

I will never discourage anyone from taking their existing R/C vehicle and improving it to run in the manner that they enjoy. But I will say that it can often be cheaper to buy a separate dedicated vehicle for each type of surface that you may be using your vehicle on. Always consider your budget first in this hobby, as small purchases and upgrades will add up.

In the end, have fun and I hope this information helps.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AntreasRC View Post
A new radio with different adjustments will likely not fix your problem. The plastic steering rack and steering tie rods are flexing, which causes erratic vehicle performance. Normally, there is not enough grip for this to be an issue, but because you are trying to run an offroad truck like it is an onroad car, the plastic flexes as the steering servo fights the grip of the tires, which makes the steering inconsistent. 20mm of ground clearance is still way too much for onroad driving, I set my offroad buggy to 20mm of ride height and it hits jumps. A typical onroad car is usually close to 5mm of ride height. A monster truck is not an f1 car, don't expect it to perform like one.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

I have read all answers, they are pure and very professional. I know the limitations of the RTR 1/16 vehicle and still by lower down the chassis I can be very realistic on asphalt road. That means no foam tires or special track surface. I am always correcting the track design to match enought adrenaline from the F1 style. Somehow its working very good for this low budget project. A single viewpoint to the real world. Anyway I have overpassed the steering sensitivity while being more carefull in designing and memorise the track. The issue seems fine now. Probably a better model drives more accurate but is so expensive to be used on the parking lines of an empty parking place. Also I find that Futaba 4PM has Exponential adjustments and Steering speed that gives me enough chance in the future.

Last edited by AntreasRC; 05-09-2020 at 03:56 AM.