Kyosho Fantom EP 4WD EXT 1/12th scale pan car

Like Tree49Likes

Kyosho Fantom EP 4WD EXT 1/12th scale pan car

Old 04-26-2020, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Its not the same...

Originally Posted by robk View Post
The original cars are highly valued, mostly due to their weirdness/novelty and having disappeared quickly. Most will probably end up on a shelf as you imagine, but I guarantee they will sell them.
Kyosho's previous rere were all commercial successes due to the fact that the cars were actually fun to play with, brought back nostalgia, and even got younger people interested in playing vintage cars.

Its totally different for onroad, and especially a car that doesnt have all that much playability to start.

Whilst i dont deny that kyosho will once again sell out their production, it certainly will not attract people to vintage as much as their old rere buggies do.

Onroad is very geared towards speed and performance, and the people who play and race onroad, look for those traits, when choosing a purchase. Why would any onroader buy something slow? Perhaps the older hobbyists who want to own a car they previously had, or did not have a chance to buy back then, but younger hobbyists will just dismiss it as a waste of time and resources.

Off road has a wider spectrum of hobbyists, from casual bashers to hard core racers. And even then, vintage cars have a certain appeal to the entire market.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

It depends on who will be promoting the class. Good racing is good racing regardless of the speed. A good example is the silvercan TT01 class being run at global events such as the TITC. These cars aren't fast but they provide good fun and loads of racing action.

Kyosho will probably include it in their own events such as the Kyosho Masters so countries hosting these events will be able to sell a chunk of them. It is the same case with the Fazer on-road cars. They are not race oriented machines but Kyosho created a class for them and I'm sure there will be hordes of them in the events.

I agree with foam that when it comes to on-road, speed is king but the VTA/USGT class has also proven me wrong. Open Mod is no longer as popular due to these"slower" classes.

Personally I won't be getting one as I feel the other offerings from Kyosho are worth more of my money. I am saving for a TF8 which I have heard from their factory drivers will be announced in the upcoming months, maybe even weeks... but I am sure the Fantom rere will be a hit either way.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Speaking of offroad, Tamiya rere the Avante several times despite it being a complicated, fragile buggy that doesnt achieve victory in major races. I think manufacturer re release models not on their performance, but the nostalgia value, novelty and significance certain model has, which i believe this pan car certainly met.

I believe most of you may have one or two “dream models ” want to have in childhood. This mindset maybe why manufactuers likes to re release vintage models. To me, it is the trf414x, others may want optima, avante or egress. re issuing these rare models give us a chance to have them and fulfill our childhood wishes.
robk and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

release pictures from Kyosho

Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

kind of wish there was an update to this type of car, belt driven with a more current rear diff and such
Old 04-27-2020, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
I cannot wait to see what happens when I put a 2s battery and 21.5 motor in this thing ..
i think they heard you... at least on half of it..

Last edited by jetnjme; 04-27-2020 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2020, 06:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The only part that will suck is having to mount foams...
Rick Vessell and jetnjme like this.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Default Beautiful

The car is a work of art.

Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I don't think modern bodies will fit over the top deck... But I like that body. Wish we had more throw back bodies, like the old AE ntp90
Rick Vessell and LonnyJ1950 like this.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Perhaps the best handling body of all time was the AE TOJ. Rule changes took that dominant body out of vogue Many moons ago in favor of more “current and realistic” looking shells such as the Lotec, the 962 Porsche, Nissan GTP, etc. But these days, when the effort to reintroduce realism has been pretty much abandoned and none of the bodies make much of an attempt to replicate the look of any current real race cars, it makes one wonder if the trusty old TOJ could possibly make a comeback. Those puppies had some serious downforce.
LonnyJ1950 likes this.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
There was an 4 wheel suppension !/12th car in the early 1980's . I not sure of the name(AB hobby?) but I had one. Wasn't any good and not legal to run as everyone followed ROAR rules. If the 4 wheel independent 12th are legal they were not at the IFMAR worlds this year. You have 2 new 1/12ths coming out and they are solid axle cars. The Kyosho car is very simple and with todays stuff would be fun to drive but it's not a legal class.
ABC, powder blue chassis that broke if you looked at it funny.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Will we be restricted to Kyosho tires? Is there a manufacturer that produces 1/12 front tires with hex?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

i dont think so, at least at this time but we do have....

Doughnuts!
Old 04-27-2020, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

looks like "saving for a rainy day" may come sooner then later....

Bolink 2077, 1/12 body

Bolink 2077
LonnyJ1950 likes this.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
The only part that will suck is having to mount foams...
Oh no...I really hope they are premount.....I still remember those days with fingers on the rims and foams and glue all in 1 piece...hell no, I don't like those. May be I will just keep them in the box and just look at it once in awhile

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.