Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
M chassis or touring car ?help... >

M chassis or touring car ?help...

Like Tree2Likes

M chassis or touring car ?help...

Old 04-19-2020, 01:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default M chassis or touring car ?help...

Hello ladies and gents hope all are doing Well during this horrible lockdown. So after many years of not playing with a rc car I've decided to give it a shot again so am after some help if possible I've been going back and forth trying to choose a car and now I'm firmly stuck between a few cars and need some input from drivers/owners of these cars

1.) Tamiya m08
2.) Tamiya m07
3.) Tamiya tt02sr
4.) Tamiya tt02rr

will be using it in car parks and eventually racing at a outdoor track near me. Is the m08 that much better than a m07? Is the tt02sr a better car than than a tt02rr.

any help or input would be appreciated

thanks

Josh
Old 04-19-2020, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

They are very different classes of cars - completely different in racing terms, and if you have a longer term plan to race, you can't guarantee that they would suit any of the local racing classes. Having said that, I wouldn't buy a race chassis to run on car parks.

TT02 is better on car parks as it has more ground clearance and the 4wd probably helps. M07 and M08 are intended for racing, TT-02 not really. Don't know the difference between an SR and an RR, on a car park it probably doesn't make much difference, I'd buy the standard one with the nicest body set if I wanted an on-road basher personally.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My choice of those would be the M07. I'm not a fan of the RWD minis. The TT02 cars should serve you well for playing around in car parks but won't really be much use for racing unless your local tracks have special classes for them.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys I've decided to go for m07 concept as m07r is no where to be found online is there any must have hop up for these also what esc/moto combo do people use on these.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:45 PM
Tech Rookie

The m07 is great out of the box with kit settings. Just needs tires and inserts. Motor wise it all depends and is a personal choice but I wouldn’t go lower than 13.5 brushless since traction is already an issue with any 2wd car.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

I own both M07, and a few TT02's in various flavors. I've also owned an M05, M06, etc.. (FWD and RWD).

For parking lot fun I think the TT02's work better. I prefer the 4WD chassis a little better for parking lot fun/bashing. For the TT02, there are lots of varieties, I own an "S" and an "RR" version. For parking lot bashing the "S" version is perfect, actually even the base models are great for parking lot fun.

---
For racing I'd find out what is available at your local track..
the "M-chassis" class still has some participants at a few local tracks near me, plus there are the TCS races. I'd recommend an M07 (yet that is just me, the M08 is probably fine too, yet I feel the RWD cars are a little harder to drive). W/ a TT series you have a few options for racing, "VTA", "USGT" and any novice "on-road" class ...all would work for the TT series. However if your going to race a TT02, I'd definitely get either an "S" version or the "RR". You WILL want to get the steering upgrades at minimum, and then if it doesn't have it an adjustable motor mount to allow various pinion/gearing options.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Cheers mate . I had a m03 with the rover mini shell when I was younger and always regretted getting rid of it. The m07 will be raced on a outdoor track eventually I will be sure to enquire about classes at the track though. As for the tt02 I will be using that In car parks as a bit of fun but may use it for novice/entry level races to get my mojo back haha I see the" SR" version is basically the "S" model with a few racing bits. Now my main concern is esc and motor I'm unsure which to use on both cars. Tt02 can get a basic/stock set up but the m07 I want to be know what is suitable for them I see going brushless can be a bit of a pain so ideally i would want something that fits nicely if possible. What do you guys run with yours? Ill be sure to get motor mount and steering upgrades
Old 04-20-2020, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jms193 View Post
Cheers mate . I had a m03 with the rover mini shell when I was younger and always regretted getting rid of it. The m07 will be raced on a outdoor track eventually I will be sure to enquire about classes at the track though. As for the tt02 I will be using that In car parks as a bit of fun but may use it for novice/entry level races to get my mojo back haha I see the" SR" version is basically the "S" model with a few racing bits. Now my main concern is esc and motor I'm unsure which to use on both cars. Tt02 can get a basic/stock set up but the m07 I want to be know what is suitable for them I see going brushless can be a bit of a pain so ideally i would want something that fits nicely if possible. What do you guys run with yours? Ill be sure to get motor mount and steering upgrades
Check your local track rules regarding the M07 and use the motors that they allow. No point buying a basher motor then replacing it when you hit the track.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Generally, the M-chassis is not a beginner class contrary to how its' portrayed. Longtime mini drivers are very good, and very serious about their craft. Frustration will set in, but, as with anything, long term dedication and perseverance get you through.
SteveM likes this.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AngryRog View Post
Generally, the M-chassis is not a beginner class contrary to how its' portrayed. Longtime mini drivers are very good, and very serious about their craft. Frustration will set in, but, as with anything, long term dedication and perseverance get you through.
Don't agree with that. Like all classes, popularity varies greatly depending on which track you are at.

Currently, my local club has a thriving Mini class full of (mostly) inexperienced racers.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you have not already found it, there is a dedicated thread to the Tamiya M-07 located here on RCTECH.net. Here is a link below...

Tamiya M-07 Concept

----------

A big thing to consider when purchasing any of the M-chassis kits is what is included in the specific kit. Many of the M-chassis kits that include a body also include a speed control, brushed motor, and tires. However those kits tend to lack a full set of bearings or any aluminum upgrades such as threaded shock bodies or suspension components. On the other hand, the M-chassis kits with a more upgraded chassis tend to lack a body or electronic components. Always make sure to price out the specific M-chassis kit you are buying and know what components you will need to complete the vehicle. Often time the cheapest option isn't always the best value if you are just wanting a vehicle to play on your own before taking it to an organized racing event.

Another thing to consider when purchasing an M-chassis kit is the wheel base of the vehicle. Most, but not all M-chassis vehicles can be setup in 3 different wheelbase configurations - (S)hort - 210mm, (M)edium - 225mm, and (L)ong - 239mm. According to Tamiya's website, the M-07 Concept can only be setup in (M) 225mm or (L) 239mm wheelbase, where the M-08 can use all 3 wheelbases. Thankfully most of the bodies that are currently available are either medium or long, but there are many that are short wheelbase. The Rover Mini is an example of a short wheelbase. While I don't believe that Tamiya makes the Rover Mini any more, there are several aftermarket body manufacturers who do make short wheelbase bodies.

One more point dealing with wheelbase. Many people who race these vehicles prefer the (M) 225mm length as it provide good stability and rotation on prepared surfaces. Also some people will prefer specific bodies for good overall racing performance. If you are just starting out having fun, pick a body you like. But be aware that a VW bus body will handle differently than a body with a lower center of gravity.

As others have stated, M-chassis racing can be very competitive depending on the individual location or event. But don't let this dissuade you from having fun. These cars are a blast to play with. Really the biggest difference in performance in these cars comes down to how well you can get the power down to the racing surface. Most of the legal tips and tricks with these cars can be achieved for free with setup/driving style or are cheap and easy to do even for novice hobbyists.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

My local track races mini and I run the M-07r. Out of the box this car works great, no real upgrades needed. There might be things you want but not needed. If you get the regular version, bearings are a must, otherwise it will get by just fine. Upgrades for parking lot aren't really required but once you start to race, work towards making it into an R.

I also have the TT 02 for a spec class, add bearings and use what comes in the box. It's not fast but everyone has a blast because they are cheap fun all at the same speed. All comes down to driver.

The torque tuned motors and ESC come box stock and are all you need. If you guys racing, just follow your local track rules and check the classes before you buy. It would suck to have an awesome m-07 that you can't race cus your local club doesn't run that class. Been there, bummer!

Both are cheap fun and pretty tough at box stock speeds. I don't regret buying either of mine.

1973 911 RSR TT 02

M-07R blitz rs1 (Audi)
Old 04-20-2020, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dman18t View Post
My local track races mini and I run the M-07r. Out of the box this car works great, no real upgrades needed. There might be things you want but not needed. If you get the regular version, bearings are a must, otherwise it will get by just fine. Upgrades for parking lot aren't really required but once you start to race, work towards making it into an R.

I also have the TT 02 for a spec class, add bearings and use what comes in the box. It's not fast but everyone has a blast because they are cheap fun all at the same speed. All comes down to driver.

The torque tuned motors and ESC come box stock and are all you need. If you guys racing, just follow your local track rules and check the classes before you buy. It would suck to have an awesome m-07 that you can't race cus your local club doesn't run that class. Been there, bummer!

Both are cheap fun and pretty tough at box stock speeds. I don't regret buying either of mine.
The regular M07 comes fully equipped with bearings.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the replies guys but after talking to my local club owner it turns out no one races m chassis there at the moment which is really annoying. He did say I could use it there but feel it would be a waste of money to just drive on my own. Touring cars is popular at the track either 13.5t or 17.5t so now I'm stuck on what to do. Do I just get m07 for a shelf queen or just put my funds into a decent touring car? Really wanted that m07 😥
Old 04-21-2020, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

You were looking at TT 02 as well which could be raced with TC but at a serious disadvantage.

Or just get the M 07 and show up with it. Never know, more guys might see it and get one too!?!

TC is a big step up from the other chassis but they are fun! Or maybe F1 or pancars?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.