• 1 Post By TheRoadRunner
  • 1 Post By herrokero
  • 1 Post By zxcvb1t

Help picking lightest Tamiya chassis with best grip for indoor racing

Old 04-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help picking lightest Tamiya chassis with best grip for indoor racing

Hello guys,

I am building an autonomous car that will be driven indoors. The surface is made out of matts (so I guess closest comparison would be clay material?) and has some inclines and declines (no bankings).

We are aiming on getting the best lap times so a light chassis with a good weight distribution for good grip is required and after searching the web I did not get very much info on the chassisís below.

I would really appreciate if I can get some help from you guys on the chassis choice and would appreciate some tyre recommendations too!

My current options are:

-TT-02RR

-TT-02 Type S

-TB-05 PRO

-TB-04R

-TA05-VDF

Thank you!
garnt likes this.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheRoadRunner View Post
Hello guys,

I am building an autonomous car that will be driven indoors. The surface is made out of matts (so I guess closest comparison would be clay material?) and has some inclines and declines (no bankings).

We are aiming on getting the best lap times so a light chassis with a good weight distribution for good grip is required and after searching the web I did not get very much info on the chassisís below.

I would really appreciate if I can get some help from you guys on the chassis choice and would appreciate some tyre recommendations too!

My current options are:

-TT-02RR

-TT-02 Type S

-TB-05 PRO

-TB-04R

-TA05-VDF

Thank you!
From those options, TB-05 Pro. Is there a reason you ruled out the belt drive cars?
Old 04-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
From those options, TB-05 Pro. Is there a reason you ruled out the belt drive cars?
Not really, I was just looking for the ones I found at a price between $200-300.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

TA07? It's usually the same price as TB05, and the 05 may have torque steer which is probably an unwanted factor for your autonomous car.

Also is there a reason for going with Tamiya? Your best bet is probably an Xpress XQ1S for a cheap high performer.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'd pick the TB-04R or the TB-05 Pro and convert it to an Exotek later on.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

You can rule out the TA05VDF as it is chassis for drifiting, both tt02 is not good if you talking about fastest lap time since they are heavy and the design is not for racing.
I assume with automonous car, you will mount extra equipment on the chassis. Therefore, do you need a lot of space or easy accessible places for these equipment? TB04R is easier to work on if you need to take equipment on and off very often, but is kinda heavy. TB05 pro is lighter but the space frame deisgn makes it harder to mount electronics.

I think the decision is between TB04R and TB05 PRO. But depend on what kind of motor you are running, TA series , 3racing and xpress chassis will be better options.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anything but a TT for racing.

You can get an Ackerman steering set from Tamiya for the TA05VDF, but it's not as affective as it could be. As said, it's primarily a drift chassis.

Some online sellers are still clearing out TA05 IFS kits at good prices. Not the newest design, but a proven package and will accept current spec Tamiya TRF steering and suspension parts if you want to modernise it. Plenty of carbon parts available for it too.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Ha! I just bought a TB-05 to use as a diyrobocar, though I chose it mostly for its looks. I assume that multiple motor positions will give me some flexibility in terms of where to mount electronics (for balance's sake), but such configurability isn't unique to the TB-05.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Car

Can it be a 4 wheel drive buggy . If you have hills and stuff that requires suspension I think a 4 wheel buggy would be the best option