Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best tires for smooth asphalt with 1/10 TC >

Best tires for smooth asphalt with 1/10 TC

Best tires for smooth asphalt with 1/10 TC

Old 04-14-2020, 02:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Best tires for smooth asphalt with 1/10 TC

I am setting up an Xray T4 with 8.5T motor for some high speed parking lot racing/bashing. It will be on relatively fresh/smooth asphalt, in moderate to warm temperatures. Just looking for some advice for 1/10 TC tires that would be a good all-around choice for this type of use. Something with decent traction, decent life and stability when geared to run 45-50 MPH top speed.

Thanks for any advice!

Mike H.
Cincinnati OH
Old 04-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dynomike View Post
I am setting up an Xray T4 with 8.5T motor for some high speed parking lot racing/bashing. It will be on relatively fresh/smooth asphalt, in moderate to warm temperatures. Just looking for some advice for 1/10 TC tires that would be a good all-around choice for this type of use. Something with decent traction, decent life and stability when geared to run 45-50 MPH top speed.

Thanks for any advice!

Mike H.
Cincinnati OH
You'd be wanting to look at sweep, sorex, Solaris 34 to 36r tires. Maybe 40r if it gets really warm.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If it's a prepped track that has been sprayed with sugar water, vht, or soda, then I'd recommend RUSH 40's if it's warm. For an untreated parking lot, I have found that the USGT Ride Tires work better.

EDIT: Just to describe how the treaded USGT tires work. We run on a prepped track, but during the summer dust storms can come through and we absolutely lose our track because of the dust. We got a heavy dust storm one night and one sly competitor (who goes by AJ) went into the A Main of 17.5 Touring Car with a set of USGT tires on his car while everyone else was on Rush 40 slicks. He lapped the field, just ran away and hid.

Last edited by glennhl; 04-14-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rush and Volante are the popular choices in my area for outdoor asphalt tracks. Rush has the better balance of performance vs lifespan, Volante are a bit faster.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Rush and Volante are the popular choices in my area for outdoor asphalt tracks. Rush has the better balance of performance vs lifespan, Volante are a bit faster.
+1 on this

Rush last maybe 2-3 race meets at WCMRC
Volante V6 the same, the V7 tyres are quicker but you won't get more than one meet out of a set
Xpress tyres were the same quick, but after 1 meet (5 races) the tyres were shot.

That was in 21.5 / 13.5 TC
Old 04-14-2020, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
+1 on this

Rush last maybe 2-3 race meets at WCMRC
Volante V6 the same, the V7 tyres are quicker but you won't get more than one meet out of a set
Xpress tyres were the same quick, but after 1 meet (5 races) the tyres were shot.

That was in 21.5 / 13.5 TC
I get 2-3 meets out of Volante V7, and 4-5 out of Rush. I wonder why they don't last as long on your track.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I spend, or have spent a lot of time running a wide range of TC on unprepared pavement. If itís smooth ftom bring seal coated, may need to try a few different sets.

Will there be any surface preparation before racing?

Tire life with touring car will vary widely depending on use. And type of driving. Iíve had the same car wear out a set in 2 racedays. And have an identical set last for a month of daily use at home.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks a lot guys! Basically this will be myself and my brother doing some high end bashing on a nice smooth parking lot that is uncoated asphalt, fairly new, not treated in any way. Also another lot we have access to has sealer over asphalt, so a bit less grip. We have run 1/8 rally cars together but not yet T4's.

Mike
Old 04-15-2020, 12:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I get 2-3 meets out of Volante V7, and 4-5 out of Rush. I wonder why they don't last as long on your track.
We have a banked right hand sweeper which while great fun is something you take at a fair bit of speed (60 kph for 21.5 80kph for 13.5) and it's brutal on the front left.