Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best 4 poles motors for 8th scale on road. >

Best 4 poles motors for 8th scale on road.

Best 4 poles motors for 8th scale on road.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default Best 4 poles motors for 8th scale on road.

Hi guys,
Sooner or later this lock down will cease and we'll be back on track. I'm looking at the market of 4 poles motors for my arc R8S pan car to try to figure out what are the best alternatives.
One of the key features of my car this year will be to run with shorty lipos 6200 mah hv. Weight and balance reasons. Esc will be a ZTW (reds/fantom oem).
The question is what's the best motor to couple to those?
Now I have HW1900kv and a ztw2200. But I'm looking for alternatives.
Will be better a higher kv lower geared with higher Turbo and boost? Or vice versa?
I'm still kinda new to 4 poles motor, and I feel they respond different to 2 poles motors 540 class. They are always punchy and less prone to high rev, and pretty severe on lipos.

Let me know your experience.
Ps. Normal circuit racing, 4s, no strange drag thing 6s
Old 04-14-2020, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Certainly the higher the pole count the more torque can be created per angle of rotation. Super high pole count motors have super high torque at low rpm but are limited to lower rpms. So its possible that something in between would suit your driving style. Pole count in itself does not create more power however but that not a question you had just an observation. 4 pole versus 2 pole is probably more of a smoothness of torque delivery thing but 4 versus 2 may not be a difference big enough to matter. In the end you will deliver the same power with peaks in different places. You will make up for those peaks with gearing. If two rotors are identical except power is in different places and you gear to take advantage of that then there will be a difference in the sum of rotational inertia. A 4:1 will stop and start quicker than a 3:1 for like sized rotors and output torque.

boost and turbo does generate more power. It generates more power by being more efficient at all point on the power curve by aligning the timing to the rotor. Its not creating power but its creating efficiency that stops heat generation. The motor cooling capability is the limiting factor of power. Heat that it generates versus heat that it dissipates. If it generates less waste heat for every unit of power it delivers you can push it much harder because all power is limited by the heat dissipation capabilty. Less heat equals more power.

it comes down to this. If a track has allot of straights or allot of accel/deceleration you pick a motor that has peak efficiency that allows you a wide range of gearing options. If peak power is at 10000 rpm for 1 track and you go to a track that is 20% more curves for the same lap time you need a chassis that will allow you to move the gearing enough to keep the motor at 10000 rpm for the short track.