Onroad carpet classes >

Onroad carpet classes

Like Tree13Likes

Onroad carpet classes

Old 04-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Onroad carpet classes

Hi all, I was curious what class you guys would think that would teach someone how to drive and be smooth. I have raced a season and really need to learn to be smooth and throttle control. Didnít know what class you guys thinks would benefit me the best. 1/12 scale, wgtr, usgt, vta, touring car. I hope this makes sense, Iím guessing there is a class that if you can drive it good it helps out in others as well. Thanks all
Old 04-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WGTR or touring car is my suggestion. Personally, a 2wd buggy has taught me throttle control more so than anything on road.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BEMO2019 View Post
WGTR or touring car is my suggestion. Personally, a 2wd buggy has taught me throttle control more so than anything on road.
so if I can drive a wgtr fast it would help in other classes is what youíd say?
2wd buggy on carpet or dirt?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

1/12 (GT12)and 2wd buggy .If you like working on your equipment all day long at the track any TC class
mjordan44847 likes this.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BEMO2019 View Post
For me, its F1. Back end steps out.. well your whole straight is screwed. Braking takes a deft touch, there's braking available, but put in to much and that back end comes around on you.

WGT-R for me.. has been mostly a "mash and go" class, as there's a lot of traciton available, and not a whole lot of torque.
dman18t likes this.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mjordan44847 View Post
Hi all, I was curious what class you guys would think that would teach someone how to drive and be smooth. I have raced a season and really need to learn to be smooth and throttle control. Didnít know what class you guys thinks would benefit me the best. 1/12 scale, wgtr, usgt, vta, touring car. I hope this makes sense, Iím guessing there is a class that if you can drive it good it helps out in others as well. Thanks all
There is no magic class. Pick a class with good local turnout. Pick a class that already has drivers of your same skill level. Pick a class that you can afford. After that, stick with that class (instead of jumping around looking for the magic class) and spend as much time on the drivers stand as possible. It really is that simple.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Start out class is WGT-R and advance to F1. Like was said, there is too much time spent in setup of a TC for a beginner, they can be overwhelmed. If the TC is off in anyway it ruins the driving part. I drive WGT-R, F1, VTA, USGT, FWD and a rubber tire oval class. Learning to this day after doing it since 1988.
dman18t likes this.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

The other thing to consider is slower classes force you to drive better to get the best lap time.

Mini or box stock classes are good ones for this purpose. I started in TCS rally class (TT 01 Silvercan). Car couldn't go fast, came down to driver being smooth and practice, practice practice!

Depending on your local c track, pick any of the slower classes. Don't get crazy chasing setups. Build it to the manual, practice! No setup or latest performance adders will ever fix poor driving.

Once you can wheel a slow car quickly, any class after that will get much easier. Fyi, rally, F1 and mini are my all time favorites for sheer fun! All those classes are rewarding cus they emphasize good driving lines. When you really nail a lap, nothing better than that!
Old 04-11-2020, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ditto to the last two comments. How's everything going up your way Old Dude. Bored like the rest of us till we start racing again.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

I don't really understand all the hate for touring car that seems to be brewing up. Despite what people say, they are generally really easy to set up - just use the kit settings. They are also pretty easy to drive. Flavours of 4wd touring cars are still, as far as I can tell, the most popular on-road class.

Best classes that I found that encourage a smooth throttle were indoor modified TC and 12th scale. Both of which are so fast that if you put on the throttle in the wrong place at the wrong time you would end up missing the next corner by the width of the track...

F1 cars on rubber tyres always look difficult to drive, but in the way that frustrates you, rather than the way that you learn from.
Ggrant likes this.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

There's no hate for touring car. Touring cars are easy. That's... what the OP wasn't looking for. They want a class that's hard to drive so they can work on their throttle skills. I dunno, it almost sounds like you need to spend more time with F1 cars. :-)
mjordan44847 likes this.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks all I really do like the thinking of drive a slow car fast. So Iím I gonna get my wgtr going. Make laps and try to get them laps fast.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post

F1 cars on rubber tyres always look difficult to drive, but in the way that frustrates you, rather than the way that you learn from.
If that's the case, they are doing it wrong.

The point isn't to drive something fast to teach throttle control, it's to drive something with lower grip to learn throttle control. Move onto fast after. Walk before you can run scenario.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dman18t View Post
If that's the case, they are doing it wrong.

The point isn't to drive something fast to teach throttle control, it's to drive something with lower grip to learn throttle control. Move onto fast after. Walk before you can run scenario.

so lower grip will help?
Old 04-11-2020, 04:44 PM
Tech Rookie

I would suggest to pick the class you want to race, then starting out slow then working up as your driving improves.
Getting lots of practice and as much track time as possible helps also.
dman18t likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.