R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-11-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default XXXS Vs TB EvoII Vs XRay Evo2 Vs TA04R

Hi,
I just wanted to get some opinions on the following chassis kits.

1) Tamiya TA04R
2)Losi XXX-S Graphite
3)Tamiya TB Evolution II
4)Xray Evo2

What I want to know is which would you consider the best "Out of the Box" Kit and why. The kit would be used for "modified" racing and be equipped with a 9X2 or 10X2 motor.
Drivers skills are of an average level.

Thanks
Steevo

Last edited by Steevo; 12-12-2002 at 03:09 AM.
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Evil_S10

Right out of the box i would have to go with the xxx-s, but i havent tried out the others. Where I race, i have beaten the TA04 in the modified class.
Evil_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 04:50 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

I have a xxx-s and a ta04r. I like my o4r but the losi is faster almost everywhere. I use the 04r for tcs racing only. i don't know much about the evo 2 but they only had it out for a year and are soon to release the evo 3. I talked to David Jun and he did not care for it in favor of the 414m2. I think he is a good judge of the car. the evo 3 is going to be different in many ways.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 04:54 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

first off I'd fill in the Evo II with the Evo III, the Evo II isn't that great, very heavy, hard to work on, and other probems. Word is that a lot of the Tamiya factory drivers are switching from the TA04 to the Evo III. The xxx-s is also a good car, which is better? probably neither. especially since you admit your driving skills are average like most of us. Tamiyas are a little hard to get parts for in some areas and not a lot of people run them so help with the car might be scarce.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 06:33 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Parts for all three cars are not a problem from where I buy from. The reason why I chose the Evo II and not the III is because I know nothing of the evo III and had not considered it an option before. I don't even know how much it is selling for. I have heard a lot about the Evo II being a hard car to dial in properly and the gear mesh hard to adjust because of the position of the motor screws.
I currently own a TA04R quite hopped up with all the trick bits including carbon fibre damper stays and light weight delrin out drives, centre one way etc. It is a good car but I was considering the move to something a little different. I ruled out a TRF414MII because it is just too similar for my liking to my 04R and apart from the eye candy I am not sure that in the hands of an average driver it would be that much different to drive. ( forgive me if I am wrong). I know it has a lot more tuning options but in the hands of an average driver without a set up board etc it would be a lot easier to dial out than in.

My main reason for the post was to see what people thought about the 3 vehicles.

I would like more opinions if you would care to take the time.

Cheers Steevo
Old 12-11-2002, 08:51 PM   #6
Tech Adept

well steevo,
between the three of these cars, there really isnt much of a choice. i have a 414m, evo2, and have driven the xxxs before and out of all of them, the 414 is the best, so your ta04r would probably be the best bet. but if you really want a new car, i would try to get your hands on the evo 3 when it becomes availible. the xxxs is just too hard to make fast and requires alot of modifications and not really worth the time, but all of this depends on what track surface you drive on, asphalt or carpet?
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:24 PM   #7
Tech Champion

The TB evo III ships out of the Tamiya Factory on the 15th, very limited, i have 1 reserved already, i expect to have mine by the end of the month. can't wait.

I currently run a 414WRC, its a very good car, one of the highest quality kits i've ever bulit and raced.

Last edited by black-knight; 12-11-2002 at 09:26 PM.
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:48 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Blitz,
I run only on Asphalt surface, quite smooth medium bite.
I will check for some info on the Evo III and maybe that will be an option. I am quite happy with my 04 and it would take something special to make me want to change. like I said before I am just thinking of something a little different but it would have to be at least as good as my 04 and not cost a bomb.

Steevo

Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

NO DOUBT THE EVO2 HAS IT'S QUIRKS BUT I WOULDN'T GIVE MINE UP FOR ANYTHING.........WELLLL......MAYBE AN EVO3. I GUESS I'M A BIT BIASED AS I LOVE TAMIYA CARS. BUT I HAVE OWNED A TC3 AND A SCHUMACHER MISSION BEFORE I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE EVO2. MY CAR IS "BOX STOCK" AND UNLIKE YOU,I ONLY RUN IN STOCK CLASS BUT I HAVE BEEN TRULY AMAZED BY THIS CHASSIS. MY 2 CENTS WORTH......GO EVO 3 IF YOU CAN.IF NOT GO EVO2 OR 414. DON'T THINK YOU CAN GO WRONG EITHER WAY. HOPE YOU JOIN US TAMIYA JUNKIES
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 10:51 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

I know this is the wrong forum but o-well. Is the evo 3 going to be limited production thing for a while or just at the beginning ?
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 01:00 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGZJ
I know this is the wrong forum but o-well. Is the evo 3 going to be limited production thing for a while or just at the beginning ?
jst to start with, the part code for the kit indicates that it is not limited
Old 12-12-2002, 02:04 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to kentot Send a message via Yahoo to kentot

steevo-try the xxx-s and you wont be disappointed! as far as im concern, that car rules as for modifications, buy the graphite + kit so that you would need to buy any hopups. my ride is the originl xxx-s and i just bought the .28 shocks to adjust the ride height. the only thing that i need to change now is the low roll... however if you'll buy the graphite+ kit you wont need to buy those two i mentioned.
kentot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 03:02 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Kentot.
I am waiting to hear from my supplier on the cost and availability of the Tamiya Evo III. I know the losi graphite is a good car and it remains on my list.
I have also added the Xray Evo2 to my list making the new contenders The Losi XXX-S Graphite, The TB Evolution III and The Xray Evo2. I know the Xray could be a complicated car to dial in but if it is going to run rings around my TA04R I am prepared to persevere.
I know the cars vary in price quite a bit but that is not an issue. I just want a car that will give the other guys at the track a real fright when I run it for the first time

Steevo

Last edited by Steevo; 12-12-2002 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:13 AM   #14
Vic
Tech Apprentice

Steevo,

Go for a TRF 414M a lot better than any of the others and everything you need is included in the box!
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 03:21 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Hi Vic,
I like the TRF 414MII but Like I said earlier it is just too similar to my TA04R for my liking. With all the hop ups on my 04R if I could just add the Blue alloy bulkheads thats what I would almost have a 414.
I would like to get something a little different but if I am going to get another kit it has to be something special or I just won't bother. I don't want to spend the money on a new kit and find out my 04R will match it in performance.

Steevo