Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 12:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Motor Cleaning?

I am new to the electric scene and was wondering what you need to do to clean your motor. I just bought a used TC3 and want to clean the motor before I start racing. Does anyone know a link to a site that details this. Pictures would help cuz I dont really know the different parts fo the motor yet. Thanks in Advance
Old 12-15-2002, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Motor Cleaning

Health friendly method.
Remove the brush springs that push on the brushes. Pull the brushes out. If this is a mod motor put a scratch on the endbell and can so that you can reassemble it in the exact same postion. Dissasemble the motor by loosening, not removing. The two screws that hold the endbell (plastic) to the can (holds the magnets). Pull the end bell up and twist to remove. Clean the brushoods (holds the brushes) out with cotton swabs. Clean the motor out with a rag and some rubbing alcohol. Used compressed air to blow out the motor if its available. This is the method I use.

Motor Spray Method.
Remove brush springs and brushes. Hold the motor by the pinion. Go outside. Spray out the motor well with motor spray, concentrating on the brush area. Rotate a little and repeat. Keep the stuff off your hands. Don't inhale the fumes. I would still use cotton swabs inside the brush hoods.

Re-oil bushings or bearings with both methods.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-15-2002 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://rcvehicles.about.com/library/rc101/blackbook.htm

must read link for motor maintenance and tuning.