Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
noob looking for first kit >

noob looking for first kit

Like Tree12Likes

noob looking for first kit

Old 03-31-2020, 06:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default noob looking for first kit

I am new to RC cars, I have had a few planes , but am excited to get into cars. My initial thought was an on road car (had one as a kid) and am looking for advice on a good fast 1st kit. I think $300 is a good place to start, but don't really know. Sorry if this is the 10 billionth time you have seen this question...
Old 03-31-2020, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends what you're going to do with it. Are you planning to race or drive around in your driveway/parking lots? Are you interested in racing/tuning for lap times or more scale modeling? More info on what you want to do will help with good recommendations!
Old 03-31-2020, 09:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I think mostly just driving around the driveway and that kinda stuff mostly to start, go from there and see where it takes me.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm not sure if $300 is achievable. Decent 1/10 scale cars start at around $500 and that doesn't include the motor, servo, speed control, radio, receiver, battery, and battery charger. If you want to race a competitive car, probably $1000 is more like it. So with $300, search for a decent used car that comes complete and ready to run. I'm not even sure you can find a complete used car with radio for $300, but maybe you can. Good luck.

EDIT: To give you an idea, I've listed some acceptable equipment and their approximate prices:
Chassis: you can go with one of the copies, not sure what they are called, but can be had for around $150
Motor: look for a decent used motor for around $50
Speed Control: Hobbywing Justock $50 new
Battery: SMC or similar $50
Radio: Sanwa MX-6 with receiver $110
Steering Servo: used Futaba S9551, BLS551, or BLS571 $50
Battery Charger: Used for around $50

Old 03-31-2020, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

You can go for Xpress XQ1S and some mid-range brushless combo. Savox 1251 should be fine as a servo. Gaoneng batteries have a good quality-price ratio. And you can find Sanwa MX6 around 100 dollars.

By the way it is probable that 300$ will be a little bit short if you have nothing...
Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default Kit

Personally when I started racing off road I bought new and used cars. I recommend finding a good used car and save yourself a lot of money. If just wanting to play at home I bought my daughter the Losi Brushless RTR SCT it was about $260 I think with out battery or charger. Truck is fun to drive, fast and built well plus parts from the race SCT are interchangeable for upgrades.
drjim likes this.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks, 300 ish then, lol I will take a look at your suggestions , thank you
Old 03-31-2020, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

OK, if you just want to have fun on the driveway, this looks like a great option. Kyosho makes good quality cars.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-...caAjJkEALw_wcB

You will have to buy the battery and charger, but you should still be within your budget. Good luck.
angrymelon and drjim like this.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

Used Associated TC4 would be a good option. Tamiya TT02 could be good if you want to buy new and build the kit. Those can be found online for $150, then you need battery, charger, radio and receiver.
dman18t likes this.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

I would consider putting a little more money on the radio than the MX-6 suggested previously. A decent radio is something you will keep for a long time and if you decide R/C is not for you, it will have better resale value then an entry level unit. Something like a used MT4S or MT44 will last you a long time.

Martin Paradis
dman18t likes this.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rhodopsine View Post
I would consider putting a little more money on the radio than the MX-6 suggested previously. A decent radio is something you will keep for a long time and if you decide R/C is not for you, it will have better resale value then an entry level unit. Something like a used MT4S or MT44 will last you a long time.

Martin Paradis
Excellent advice, but not really a choice on a $300 overall budget.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
Excellent advice, but not really a choice on a $300 overall budget.
Ah!, my fault! I misread the budget and thought it was 500$... Still, if the OP is willing to stretch his budget a little, I think it would be worth it.

Martin Paradis
glennhl likes this.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
OK, if you just want to have fun on the driveway, this looks like a great option. Kyosho makes good quality cars.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-...caAjJkEALw_wcB

You will have to buy the battery and charger, but you should still be within your budget. Good luck.
----

Be careful with the Kyosho's, as they currently have three long wheelbase versions and those are the only bodies that fit. The Chevelle, Charger, and Challenger Hellcat. I believe the remaining cars are all a more standard 260mm wheelbase. If you want to go RTR, overall the Kyosho is a good vehicle, but I personally think the Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 is way better designed/built. However, unless you find one on sale somewhere, you won't be able to beat the price of the Kyosho. Especially since if you use a coupon at Towerhobbies.com with the Kyosho, you can get one for less than $200 shipped. Another thing to consider is long term parts availability. I suspect the Traxxas will have better parts support now, and into the future.

If you want to build a kit, like others have mentioned the TT-02 can be a inexpensive platform, with great parts support to boot.

Please let us know what you end up going with

-melon
glennhl likes this.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

3RACING SAKURA ADVANCE S

The Advance S is based on the 2K18 kit, very durable and competitive with unlimited options ... $110
Old 03-31-2020, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If you want something to play around with the Traxxas 4tec might be good for you. Some trucks around my area have a class for them now. They handle much better then I expected.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...4-blue/p895840
dman18t likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.