CRC car setup questions/issue.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IndyRC_Racer

CRC car setup questions/issue.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default CRC car setup questions/issue.

Hi, first post here long time lurker.

Any way my CRC W-gtr car will turn left and traction roll but a right or well push. Also left is a much tighter turn than a right.

The car does have an Associated R5 front end. That I've rebuilt twice now to make sure my linkages are close to the same lengths. Servo is as centered as I can get it.

Thanks in advance, any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sounds to me like your toe is off for one some pics would help. To bad tracks are closed I could direct you to a few tracks here in ohio that are home to some really fast wgtr drivers. I would start with toe and your end points on your radio. Another thing what is your steering trim settings.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Always check tires if you are having any type of handling issues. Foams tires can wear unevenly. Rubber tires can come unglued or the inserts can become unstable. If the tires appear to be good and the problem doesn't follow the tires if you switch from one side of the car to the other, it could be something mechanical.

Here are a few basic things to check when having steering issues...

- Make sure the servo saver/servo spline is mounted at the center point of the car. The servo itself may look offset, but the part of the servo that moves should be in the center of the chassis width.
- Make sure the EPA (End Point Adjustment) in your transmitter is set properly. The LEFT or RIGHT settings should be identical.
- Make sure you are using SUBTRIM to center your servo/steering and not just Trim. Using trim instead of SUBTRIM can cause the servo to have more movement in one direction vs. the other.

If any of the above are off, you may see that the steering has more mechanical movement or throw in one direction vs. the other. This could be observed with the car on a stand.

---------

Some other basic things to check would be...
- Make sure the servo is mounted at a 90 degree angle to the front/back centerline of the chassis.
- Make sure the servo saver or servo horn isn't bent or damaged (small cracks in plastic may not be noticeable when installed in the car)
- Make sure any ball studs on the steering linkages are the same length (there are short and tall ball studs) and are using the same number of spacers. Example: Make sure both ball studs on the servo saver/horn are the same length and using the same number of spacers (or none depending on ackerman settings)
- Make sure the steering knuckles are correct for the side of the car they are being used on (some are universal). Also make sure they are using the same mounting hole (some steering knuckles have multiple holes for ackerman adjustment)

All of the above things so far can cause the steering in a pan car to be slightly different from left to right. I've had all of these types of problems when racing pan cars in the past. Sometimes when having these types of issues it is a good idea to do general maintenance/rebuild on the front end of the car to confirm all things are setup to spec.

----------

Of course there could be a mechanical problem with the car that isn't obvious upon visual inspection. A bent or binding part on the front end can cause steering issues. Don't rule out bearings, king pins, or steering axles as they can often be damaged whenever the wheel hits a track barrier.

Also don't rule out suspension issues at the back end of the car. Since most modern pan cars use some sort of trailing link suspension, problems here will also affect how a car steers or handles on the track. If a trailing link doesn't move freely or is being blocked mechanically by electronic components (batteries or motor wires), it can create steering issues. Also make sure the trailing link springs are installed/adjusted properly.

Also don't rule out a tweaked chassis/setup. Too much weight on one side or another can make it hard to balance a car. While this can be advantageous when running pan cars on oval, it can cause inconsistent steering when racing on-road.

----------

As suggested earlier, a good picture of your car (front view and top view) might allow people online to troubleshoot your car. While your post count will restrict you from posting pictures directly to RCTECH.net, there are several free photo hosting websites that you can use to share with the community.

Hope this information helps.
purplerain likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You should also make sure the rear axle is centered in the car. The same length from center point of car to edge of both rear wheels.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

There has been great advice on the replies to date

With a R5 front end the things I'd suggest for a CRC front end don't fully apply. At the front I'd check if camber is the same both sides. Also seen springs collapse one side, so check they are both the same length.

Check the side links move freely. It is temping to do them up tight, and that will causing binding.

Also check the centre pivot moves freely in all directions. What I'd do is take it apart, fully clean and check the parts and then rebuild it.

Hope that helps
Mark