R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default 19t motors

I am an experienced modified racer but i am going to be running 19t this year as this seems to be the way things are going, i have never run the 19t class before and need to learn quick about the motors, i have got a tuned team scream motor the CO version and i have some F line brushes to see how it goes.

How many runs am i expecting to get out of a pair of these and how hot should the motor get, any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Lee
LEE UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mans343 Send a message via Yahoo to Mans343

Hold your finger on the motor for five sec. if the motor dosent burn the crap out of fringer before five sec. your ok... I think motor should have about 5 runs before it needs rebuilt and new brushes!!!!

Mans343...
Mans343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE UK
I am an experienced modified racer but i am going to be running 19t this year as this seems to be the way things are going, i have never run the 19t class before and need to learn quick about the motors, i have got a tuned team scream motor the CO version and i have some F line brushes to see how it goes.

How many runs am i expecting to get out of a pair of these and how hot should the motor get, any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Lee
I don't thing F brushes are best for 19T at least the 19T motors I use..
I like the XXX brushes in the Reedy Quad Mag and 769's in the C2.

On the Reedy I cut the comm after every run and just re-breaking the brushes for 5 minutes @ 2V. Then run it again....One of the fastest motors I have in my pit box...
In the C2 you get about 2 good runs on the 769s and then you need new brushes and a comm cut.
Hope that helps...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

How about Trinity's P94 19t, any recommendations for that?

Say if I wanted to run TC/ Buggy or 12th what Brush and Spring combo should I be using?

Thanks a lot
Rudy
Deznuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The P94 19 is not legal to run on road. Its an adjustable timing oval motor.

The best 19T motors for on road are (In no particular order)

The Reedy Quad 19
The Orion/Peak Element/Dynasty 19
The Check Point 19 (Will be out soon)
The Integy Spec 19
The Trinity C2 or Komodo 19 (Will be out soon)

The cool thing is you have choices. They are all really good.

The Trinity XXX is the brush to run in all of them except the C2 and Check Point. The C2 likes Reedy 767 or EA Motorsports F-Brushes. The Check Point uses their own round brushes.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mans343 Send a message via Yahoo to Mans343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
I don't thing F brushes are best for 19T at least the 19T motors I use..
I like the XXX brushes in the Reedy Quad Mag and 769's in the C2.

On the Reedy I cut the comm after every run and just re-breaking the brushes for 5 minutes @ 2V. Then run it again....One of the fastest motors I have in my pit box...
In the C2 you get about 2 good runs on the 769s and then you need new brushes and a comm cut.
Hope that helps...
-Shookie <><
you have to consider he might run the motor in prctice!!!
Mans343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

Thanks Adrian,

well when you say not legal would that mean in any 19t class how about if I wanted to run it in a open mod class would it be ok for that?? or would it be pointless secondly what springs would you go with, for the motors you've listed?
Deznuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Lee - For the C2 Epic version that you have for springs start with red + & -.
If you are looking for a bit more speed then go to a green on the -.
For a bit more grunt then you could go to a purple on the +.
Start with gearing on about 5.4 this will be a good starting point for most of this years National tracks, so you need some bigger pinions coming in from mod, particulary for Halifax.
The Orion/Peak needs more gearing, some run 5.0 and below but that is a bit much. Just go up one tooth on the C2 gearing to start with = 5.2.
Brushes - question of what works for you, Trinity 4499 are still the best all-rounders and you can also get them with the cross-cut serrations.
Have heard the the Checkpoint has been submitted by CML but until they get some stock in then it won't go on the list. The Integy 19 Spec ZZ is not on the list but blue Atlas version is.
Frank N. Furter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

what tracks you going to lee
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N. Furter
Lee - For the C2 Epic version that you have for springs start with red + & -.
If you are looking for a bit more speed then go to a green on the -.
For a bit more grunt then you could go to a purple on the +.
Start with gearing on about 5.4 this will be a good starting point for most of this years National tracks, so you need some bigger pinions coming in from mod, particulary for Halifax.
The Orion/Peak needs more gearing, some run 5.0 and below but that is a bit much. Just go up one tooth on the C2 gearing to start with = 5.2.
Brushes - question of what works for you, Trinity 4499 are still the best all-rounders and you can also get them with the cross-cut serrations.
Have heard the the Checkpoint has been submitted by CML but until they get some stock in then it won't go on the list. The Integy 19 Spec ZZ is not on the list but blue Atlas version is.
stiffer springs give more RPM
lighter more torque

Ask Eddie O from Team Brood
Old 03-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
lighter more torque

Ask Eddie O from Team Brood
That sounds like one of Big Jim's theories...that is sort of right but not really.

Stiffer springs will give more torque with will let you gear up and go faster on some motors but not the C2.

The C2 uses stock motor grade magnets for less cogging and more rpm but the problem is that if you over heat through over gearing you can kill the magnets. You can zap the can and get them back. C2's in sedans need red or purple springs and a carefully determined gear ratio to be very fast.

Everybody elses 19's use mod motor grade magnets. They are pretty much impossible to kill. These motors can get sprung tight (Trinity Purple at least, Orion Silvers or Blacks are better) and geared way up. They are over geared when you go up a tooth on the pinion and see no lap time improvement.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
lighter more torque
Yeah. really

As AdrianM pretty much said it about the C2 and them not liking being over-geared. I have spent enough time with them to know what works over here in the UK on our outdoor tracks on rubber tyres. Like I'm certainly going to tell him a set up that screws his motor so that it needs zapping every run!! He has already asked about how hot they get so must be concerned.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Tech Champion

At the 2005 On Road Nats we were running the C2's geared to the moon. They needed to have the comm cut, new brushes and to have the can zapped every run. That was not fun but they were seriously fast!
Old 03-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Unhappy

Thanks for all your help guys, there are some very helpful hints and tips i have picked up already, the motor came with purple springs on already, i havent run it yet but plan too on sunday at carlisle as a warm up for the summer.
I will be competing in the BTCC this year and will be doing Aldershot ashby, bedworth stafford wrexham, southend,cotswolds thats all i can remember for now anyway.

Do people tend to go for the higher revving motors or run a high torque and gear it to the moon.

I dont mind rebrushing and skimming every run as it is racing and we are all there to win at the end of the day but i dont want to be killing motors each run. I dont have a motor sponsor at the moment
LEE UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:24 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice

AdrianM - For Roar events you can run a C2, a C2 or a C2! Great job by TT to have rules that only their motor meets.

Quote:
Do people tend to go for the higher revving motors or run a high torque and gear it to the moon.
Those running the Orion/Peak do gear to the moon but that is what motor seems to like.