Like Tree225Likes

Schumacher F1

Old 01-04-2021, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Been really quiet here a while. Anyone had a chance to run theirs yet? My first race is in two weeks. Will update on how it performs. A lot of strong contenders in F1 here in Florida.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Did some extensive testing back to back between the Icon and my CRC on black carpet. Switching over the same gear diff/tires. Needless to say, already have a buyer lined up for my CRC...

I'm awaiting for the aluminum chassis to come in stock. Maybe it is the carbon flex or combination of running the car with short wheelbase, but seems a little more tippy than my past F1 cars, so I have to be more careful about steering to avoid traction roll. May go back to wide front end configuration. Otherwise, pretty happy with the car.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Been waiting weeks to try mine out and no sign of a break in COVID restrictions here yet so gonna be a while still before I get to the track. Eager to hear how people have been getting on with it too so let us know!
Old 01-04-2021, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Did some extensive testing back to back between the Icon and my CRC on black carpet. Switching over the same gear diff/tires. Needless to say, already have a buyer lined up for my CRC...

I'm awaiting for the aluminum chassis to come in stock. Maybe it is the carbon flex or combination of running the car with short wheelbase, but seems a little more tippy than my past F1 cars, so I have to be more careful about steering to avoid traction roll. May go back to wide front end configuration. Otherwise, pretty happy with the car.
Did you find that the car has more steering on corner entry. Thats what I'm hoping this car has. Have tried a bunch of f1 cars and cant seem to get one to attack corner entry the way I like. Have been running a Roche Evo 1 and is the go to car every race. Really hoping this one is as good with a little more corner speed. Are you still using the kit springs?
Old 01-04-2021, 12:44 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

It actually seemed a little less steering on initial corner entry versus my past cars but maybe this is attributed to the front end design with no camber gain. This was one of my complaints with the TRF101 design. I played around with caster some more but with camber fixed at -2, there was only so much I could do. I'm using kit side and kit rear spring. Using the softest front spring option available from Schumacher, which feels like an Xray 2.0 or 2.5 front spring. I'll try an Xray 1.5 front spring next time and see if it reduces traction roll. Should mention I'm running about 25g weight up front too, which could take away initial steering/response but would hold the line better on sweepers/reduce roll. Still experimenting between ~25g of the mass damper and fixed weight, but seemed to like the fixed weight better.

Everywhere else the car shines. It "feels" slower on the track since it is so predictable and easy to drive with the pod design, but it was turning up faster lap times than my CRC which felt "faster".
Old 01-04-2021, 01:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info man. Have mine setup on the stiffer side to what you have with the 15g dampner on the front. I'll let ya know how that works out.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I ran mine a couple weeks back with Dan. I ran Andy's setup +.5mm ride height front and rear and only 5k in the side dampers. I did use Tamiya hard damper lube in the main tube and it didn't seep and performed well with the brass rear spring. It was fast. After my third run I finally had the slow motion in my head experience. I could drive into every corner with absolute confidence. I was losing time in the fastest corner slowing down to early. That's my lack of practice. I was pretty amazed that I was only .4 a lap slow after not being on black carpet for a year.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:30 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Got my aluminum chassis in. Wow, it is 2.5mm thick versus the typical 2mm thick. Weighs 99g. Will see how it does on medium traction black carpet.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:53 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Some custom brass ride height spacers by a buddy of mines. 2mm thick each and weighing 4.5grams each. Nice way to get more weight up front to help reduce traction roll on the shorter wheelbase.

Think he will run a second batch soon and will sell them. Perfect fit on the car!
Old 01-17-2021, 01:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Andy, what are your thoughts on the mass damper for high grip carpet?
Hi Dan, I suspect benefits can still be had, although if its very high traction, and very flat the effects will be less, and the spring rate will likely need to be softer.

We have some softer options on the way soon, which should make it work much better in those kind of conditions.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Got my aluminum chassis in. Wow, it is 2.5mm thick versus the typical 2mm thick. Weighs 99g. Will see how it does on medium traction black carpet.
The alloy chassis option is very well suited to high and ultra high grip conditions.

We decided that with the c/f kit chassis already working in most, low, medium and high grip conditions, the alloy option chassis should be suited to the most extreme conditions for high traction. It should keep the car very smooth, and flat.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:42 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Thanks, tried the alloy chassis last weekend and was definitely not a fan of it, actually went backwards. We have some bumps on our track too and that didn't help with how stiff the chassis was. Will be going back to carbon and listing the alloy chassis for sale.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

for setting up the steering how much toe should a beginner have?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamThibault View Post
for setting up the steering how much toe should a beginner have?
Are you running asphalt or carpet?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Got to run mine recently in our local state race and this thing is fast. Turned the fastest lap times in our class the while day. Only issue i had was the car was very tippy at the start of every run and had to drive it gingerly for the first 4 or 5 laps then it would stabilize and i could drive it hard but by that time the leader was to far out, could run him down at the end but run out of time to really challenge for the win. Was running the online carpet setup with crc tires and tried a lot of different things but could never get that initial tippyness out of the car. Any you guys have any ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.