Old 11-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks
317.60mm
Dan likes this.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just built my first chassis - still to figure out the electronics fit but I’m sure I’ll squeeze them in! Great car to put together - fit and finish is excellent!
Then to start on the wet car!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Glad you enjoyed the build. 🙂

For the wet are you planning any differences or is to simply to have two different setups and different electrics in each?

I haven't driven formula in wet conditions yet myself, although in low grip conditions the car seems to have lots of rear traction so hopefully it'll work well! 👍

Old 11-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Murray View Post
Glad you enjoyed the build. 🙂

For the wet are you planning any differences or is to simply to have two different setups and different electrics in each?

I haven't driven formula in wet conditions yet myself, although in low grip conditions the car seems to have lots of rear traction so hopefully it'll work well! 👍
Iíll run the brca wet tyres and soften the front up as much as possible to try to get some front end bite. As long at there is lots of rear grip thatís the most important thing!
but yes I have a set of electronics I have waterproofed to run when thereís lots of standing water - British weather is not great over the winter!
Old 11-21-2020, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone have some up close pics of how their new Icon rear end pod pivots/moves? I saw the release specs video, but still not quite entirely sure how it actually works. Something like the whole chassis goes right under the rear pod and how it moves above it, it's interesting.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GT CRUSING View Post
Anyone have some up close pics of how their new Icon rear end pod pivots/moves? I saw the release specs video, but still not quite entirely sure how it actually works. Something like the whole chassis goes right under the rear pod and how it moves above it, it's interesting.
The pivot system is the same as that on the double World Championship winning Eclipse 3 12th scale, and Atom 2 GT12 so is very well tried, tested and successful. The pivot system itself works just like a normal one in that it has a single pivot point at the front of the pod, and side links. The differences are that the bottom of the pod is raised to allow space for the chassis. The pivot itself is a slider pivot so won't bind, and can be adjusted for different roll centres. We tend to run it as low as possible though, which is lower than is possible with most other systems. It has a normal side spring system but instead of having a conventional sprung damper it has a spring at the rear of the pod working with the chassis, and a centre straw damper. It also has a droop screw.

So the system is an optimised version of a link car, but the rear spring/droop system is completely different to most other cars.

If you look at the manual it will show it far better than I can describe, or Andy will explain better.

https://www.racing-cars.com/technical-information-icon
qcrc, Juniorabca and coda1820 like this.

Last edited by TrevCoult; 11-22-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:05 AM
Tech Addict

what Rubber tires should i be buying for 25.5 black carpet med/to high grip
thanks
Old 12-02-2020, 07:12 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

If given a choice, the newly branded Schumacher Pit 571 front/572 rear works great on black carpet. Glue on the front side outside sidewalls.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Got my Icon last week and did partial assembly. Had another local buddy build his and the front end seems designed around the Volante ETS tire on the stock wide config. So on Pit tires the front end is too wide.

Waiting on Schumacher to release the aluminum chassis and -6mm width front strap before I could finish the car. Hopefully soon, I have it on backorder.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Got my Icon last week and did partial assembly. Had another local buddy build his and the front end seems designed around the Volante ETS tire on the stock wide config. So on Pit tires the front end is too wide.

Waiting on Schumacher to release the aluminum chassis and -6mm width front strap before I could finish the car. Hopefully soon, I have it on backorder.
If you are using Pits use a 3mm wide bearing on the inside of the front wheel (instead of the standard 4mm) and put the washers on the outside of the wheel, that makes it the correct width. It is described in the setup section of the manual.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
If you are using Pits use a 3mm wide bearing on the inside of the front wheel (instead of the standard 4mm) and put the washers on the outside of the wheel, that makes it the correct width. It is described in the setup section of the manual.
I'm the other local guy... I had fun Saturday.

Edit: found it 4* is 75.7mm (I'm missing the caster setting: 73.2mm as measured from where?) I set the angle on the kingpin to 6* then took it down to 4* using a camber gauge and no load on the front end, wheels off. I was grip/traction rolling on very high grip carpet, but that was mostly due to tire prep. I'll be ordering some narrow bearings and a few extras to get to legal width. I wish I'd found the setup sheet prior to the first run. I was way soft on center damping and could have used a stiffer spring in the rear. For some reason the side dampers felt over damping with the kit fluid and the car did not want to settle coming out the corner. Wiping off some fluid helped. I'll be trying 7k and 10k at the next outing. Dan was a big help with the brainstorming post race. The surface was very bumpy so I after racing I did notice log of buildup on the rear of the chassis, so I have since raised the whole car 1mm. I'll need to check my GT12 parts for a stiffer rear spring to match Andy's setup.

To those asking about the front end, it is exactly like the original F102/F103 Tamiya fixed front end, but with Caster adjustment. I used to shave the center of my F103 front ends to get 2* camber. Caster was never adjustable.

My review: This car is an absolute pleasure to build. Everything fits perfectly. Adjustments are very easy not just to perform, but to understand. This will be a great car for both novices and hard core racers to build and work on. Performance and durability are exceptional. The rear stays planted once you have it set up properly for your track. The front end with with the mass damper never hops or skips around the corner. I have had a Supastox, a Supastox GT and an Atom in the past and this car runs in that lineage. It is a great design.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 12-07-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Thanks for the tips guys, I ordered the thinner bearing to try.

Andy, do you know when Schumacher will produce/ship the aluminum chassis and the -6mm narrow front end top plate?

The car is showing promise after driving liljohn's Icon. I will be benchmarking it against my CRC on black carpet in the near future. Interesting to note, the Icon on long wheelbase is still shorter than the latest CRC F1 wheelbase.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default Defective replacement

This part is off by 2mm on left side. How do I get a replacement cause my distributer only sells full kits.
thanks
Old 12-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhuse6969 View Post
This part is off by 2mm on left side. How do I get a replacement cause my distributer only sells full kits.
thanks
I'm not seeing what is off. Can you describe it better? Is there a hole miss drilled?
Old 12-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I'm not seeing what is off. Can you describe it better? Is there a hole miss drilled?
The left side support is mis-drilled as you said. Its 2m toward center of vehicle. I noticed it when i was building part, and it became more evident when I attached to chassis.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.