• 1 Post By Red141
  • 2 Post By eR1c
  • 1 Post By xenon55

Touring car info wanted

Old 03-07-2020, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Touring car info wanted

Iíve been out of the hobby for over a decade and got back into it late summer/fall, but with 1/10 electric off-road. Iím thinking about picking up a 4WD touring car to use at my local shopís asphalt track, but would like some feedback on what to look for in a kit. The last on-road electric I had was a Tamiya TRF414X back in the mid to late nineties that I bought new.

I see most kits offer an aluminum or carbon chassis. Iím assuming one is preferred over the other depending on the surface itís being run on? Looking at a few different manufacturers manuals, it seems like gear diffs are common? Thatís fine with me. Iím not looking for ball diffs.

I should mention that at this time I just plan on using it to have fun with at the track and donít have to plans to race at this time. That being said, I prefer a quality kit that is also somewhat durable. Normally Iíd probably only be looking at a Japanese kit, but I see there are many more options now than when I bought the TRF414X. I also usually buy new, but have been looking at used ones listed on the forum. Because as mentioned before, Iím just looking to have fun and not race at this time.

Iím not asking/looking for a whatís the best car to get, just trying to get up to speed on some current cars and narrow down the choices. I will say the Gizmo Genesis has me interested. Iíve never heard of them and only came across them when I saw a car for sale. I also see that it appears the owner of Gizmo is quite active on the forum? Capricorn is another kit I know nothing about, but appears to be a quality car. Yokomo and Mugen are two more options Iím considering, only because Iím familiar with their off-road offerings. Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Get the Xpress XQ1S sport chassis and have fun. Low cost, high quality and very competitive should you decide to race.
ASM, gigaplex and silentday like this.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xenon55 View Post
Iíve been out of the hobby for over a decade and got back into it late summer/fall, but with 1/10 electric off-road. Iím thinking about picking up a 4WD touring car to use at my local shopís asphalt track, but would like some feedback on what to look for in a kit. The last on-road electric I had was a Tamiya TRF414X back in the mid to late nineties that I bought new.

I see most kits offer an aluminum or carbon chassis. Iím assuming one is preferred over the other depending on the surface itís being run on? Looking at a few different manufacturers manuals, it seems like gear diffs are common? Thatís fine with me. Iím not looking for ball diffs.

I should mention that at this time I just plan on using it to have fun with at the track and donít have to plans to race at this time. That being said, I prefer a quality kit that is also somewhat durable. Normally Iíd probably only be looking at a Japanese kit, but I see there are many more options now than when I bought the TRF414X. I also usually buy new, but have been looking at used ones listed on the forum. Because as mentioned before, Iím just looking to have fun and not race at this time.

Iím not asking/looking for a whatís the best car to get, just trying to get up to speed on some current cars and narrow down the choices. I will say the Gizmo Genesis has me interested. Iíve never heard of them and only came across them when I saw a car for sale. I also see that it appears the owner of Gizmo is quite active on the forum? Capricorn is another kit I know nothing about, but appears to be a quality car. Yokomo and Mugen are two more options Iím considering, only because Iím familiar with their off-road offerings. Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
What do your local hobby shops support in terms of parts? If they really donít support the onroad chassis scene then youíre open to a lot more options. Iíve been very happy with the Schumacher Mi7 - but there are lots of kits that are available as you mentioned. For what youíll be racing on - a carbon chassis would probably be your best bet in terms of chassis options. I would always look at what the locals are running as well. Although youíre not interested in ďracingĒ right now - the local support can be a big plus if you do break part and not have to wait for delivery of its replacement to keep you on the track.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Get the Xpress XQ1S sport chassis and have fun. Low cost, high quality and very competitive should you decide to race.
And yet another brand Iím unfamiliar with lol. Iíll check them out.
Originally Posted by duckman996 View Post
What do your local hobby shops support in terms of parts? If they really donít support the onroad chassis scene then youíre open to a lot more options. Iíve been very happy with the Schumacher Mi7 - but there are lots of kits that are available as you mentioned. For what youíll be racing on - a carbon chassis would probably be your best bet in terms of chassis options. I would always look at what the locals are running as well. Although youíre not interested in ďracingĒ right now - the local support can be a big plus if you do break part and not have to wait for delivery of its replacement to keep you on the track.
Iím not worried about spares at the moment. Last year the track only had a Tamiya TT02 class I believe. I think the owner was trying to gauge the interest in running an on-road program. Not sure if he plans to run more classes this year. Their main focus to my knowledge has always been off-road, and right now itís only indoor. He closed the outdoor off-road track years ago from what I heard. I donít really think Iíll race due to lack of free time. Right now I only go to his indoor off-road track maybe twice a month on Friday nights. Btw what year is your 996? I had a Ď00 996 myself, and I used to work at a dealer in the 90ís when the 916 was released. I currently have a Tuono V4.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

3racing Advance S and Advance 20M are 2 kits you may want to look at ... affordable, durable and very competitive.

3RACING SAKURA ADVANCE S

3RACING SAKURA ADVANCE 20M
Old 03-14-2020, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

I got back last fall after almost 20 years. I bought a used TRF419XR with a lot of hop-ups for a great price. I race indoors on black carpet and luckily the previous owner did the same. The car is dialed and it made my return much easier.

Basically, I am saying that you should consider used as well and ideally the same chassis as the local fast guys so you can get set-up advice.
eR1c likes this.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you buy used, which I've done many times, be sure to take the car apart and rebuild per the kit manual. I have found things that were off with nearly every used car I've bought.
IndyRC_Racer and Nerobro like this.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

If I bought a used car, I would definitely be tearing it down for an inspection/rebuild. I ended up buying a Ď20 Xray T4.
eR1c likes this.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

congrat's on the purchase!