• 2 Post By eR1c
  • 1 Post By xenon55

Touring car info wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Touring car info wanted

I’ve been out of the hobby for over a decade and got back into it late summer/fall, but with 1/10 electric off-road. I’m thinking about picking up a 4WD touring car to use at my local shop’s asphalt track, but would like some feedback on what to look for in a kit. The last on-road electric I had was a Tamiya TRF414X back in the mid to late nineties that I bought new.

I see most kits offer an aluminum or carbon chassis. I’m assuming one is preferred over the other depending on the surface it’s being run on? Looking at a few different manufacturers manuals, it seems like gear diffs are common? That’s fine with me. I’m not looking for ball diffs.

I should mention that at this time I just plan on using it to have fun with at the track and don’t have to plans to race at this time. That being said, I prefer a quality kit that is also somewhat durable. Normally I’d probably only be looking at a Japanese kit, but I see there are many more options now than when I bought the TRF414X. I also usually buy new, but have been looking at used ones listed on the forum. Because as mentioned before, I’m just looking to have fun and not race at this time.

I’m not asking/looking for a what’s the best car to get, just trying to get up to speed on some current cars and narrow down the choices. I will say the Gizmo Genesis has me interested. I’ve never heard of them and only came across them when I saw a car for sale. I also see that it appears the owner of Gizmo is quite active on the forum? Capricorn is another kit I know nothing about, but appears to be a quality car. Yokomo and Mugen are two more options I’m considering, only because I’m familiar with their off-road offerings. Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Get the Xpress XQ1S sport chassis and have fun. Low cost, high quality and very competitive should you decide to race.
ASM, gigaplex and silentday like this.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xenon55
I’ve been out of the hobby for over a decade and got back into it late summer/fall, but with 1/10 electric off-road. I’m thinking about picking up a 4WD touring car to use at my local shop’s asphalt track, but would like some feedback on what to look for in a kit. The last on-road electric I had was a Tamiya TRF414X back in the mid to late nineties that I bought new.

I see most kits offer an aluminum or carbon chassis. I’m assuming one is preferred over the other depending on the surface it’s being run on? Looking at a few different manufacturers manuals, it seems like gear diffs are common? That’s fine with me. I’m not looking for ball diffs.

I should mention that at this time I just plan on using it to have fun with at the track and don’t have to plans to race at this time. That being said, I prefer a quality kit that is also somewhat durable. Normally I’d probably only be looking at a Japanese kit, but I see there are many more options now than when I bought the TRF414X. I also usually buy new, but have been looking at used ones listed on the forum. Because as mentioned before, I’m just looking to have fun and not race at this time.

I’m not asking/looking for a what’s the best car to get, just trying to get up to speed on some current cars and narrow down the choices. I will say the Gizmo Genesis has me interested. I’ve never heard of them and only came across them when I saw a car for sale. I also see that it appears the owner of Gizmo is quite active on the forum? Capricorn is another kit I know nothing about, but appears to be a quality car. Yokomo and Mugen are two more options I’m considering, only because I’m familiar with their off-road offerings. Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
What do your local hobby shops support in terms of parts? If they really don’t support the onroad chassis scene then you’re open to a lot more options. I’ve been very happy with the Schumacher Mi7 - but there are lots of kits that are available as you mentioned. For what you’ll be racing on - a carbon chassis would probably be your best bet in terms of chassis options. I would always look at what the locals are running as well. Although you’re not interested in “racing” right now - the local support can be a big plus if you do break part and not have to wait for delivery of its replacement to keep you on the track.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SteveM
Get the Xpress XQ1S sport chassis and have fun. Low cost, high quality and very competitive should you decide to race.
And yet another brand I’m unfamiliar with lol. I’ll check them out.
Originally Posted by duckman996
What do your local hobby shops support in terms of parts? If they really don’t support the onroad chassis scene then you’re open to a lot more options. I’ve been very happy with the Schumacher Mi7 - but there are lots of kits that are available as you mentioned. For what you’ll be racing on - a carbon chassis would probably be your best bet in terms of chassis options. I would always look at what the locals are running as well. Although you’re not interested in “racing” right now - the local support can be a big plus if you do break part and not have to wait for delivery of its replacement to keep you on the track.
I’m not worried about spares at the moment. Last year the track only had a Tamiya TT02 class I believe. I think the owner was trying to gauge the interest in running an on-road program. Not sure if he plans to run more classes this year. Their main focus to my knowledge has always been off-road, and right now it’s only indoor. He closed the outdoor off-road track years ago from what I heard. I don’t really think I’ll race due to lack of free time. Right now I only go to his indoor off-road track maybe twice a month on Friday nights. Btw what year is your 996? I had a ‘00 996 myself, and I used to work at a dealer in the 90’s when the 916 was released. I currently have a Tuono V4.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

3racing Advance S and Advance 20M are 2 kits you may want to look at ... affordable, durable and very competitive.

3RACING SAKURA ADVANCE S

3RACING SAKURA ADVANCE 20M
Old 03-14-2020, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I got back last fall after almost 20 years. I bought a used TRF419XR with a lot of hop-ups for a great price. I race indoors on black carpet and luckily the previous owner did the same. The car is dialed and it made my return much easier.

Basically, I am saying that you should consider used as well and ideally the same chassis as the local fast guys so you can get set-up advice.
eR1c likes this.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you buy used, which I've done many times, be sure to take the car apart and rebuild per the kit manual. I have found things that were off with nearly every used car I've bought.
IndyRC_Racer and Nerobro like this.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

If I bought a used car, I would definitely be tearing it down for an inspection/rebuild. I ended up buying a ‘20 Xray T4.
eR1c likes this.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

congrat's on the purchase!
Old 10-18-2020, 01:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I got one! It's the best one forrreal
Old 10-18-2020, 11:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was in a similar position to you when I restarted about a year ago after a 15 odd year hiatus. I was surprised at the level of change. Gear diffs are now the norm - more consistent and require less servicing. Most of the brands you'll have been used to don't make on-road any more, other than Tamiya, Xray and Schumacher. Quite a few different manufacturers in the game these days, all of them with fairly similar chassis (personally I still find it very hard to tell a lot of them apart). The current trend is for 'mid' motor - essentially a better fore/aft weight balance and the key word is 'flex' (the reason you see carbon and aluminium chassis, aly is for high traction, less flex) as manufacturers these days go with super skinny top decks which mean they have a lack of torsional stiffness when only using thin carbon. The way I see it, the more flex you have the larger your set up window is.

In my opinion, as long as your chassis is making best use of the tyres, you'll do alright. I'm still (as well as many others I'm sure) competitive with cars from 2004 & 2008. They are just a little harder to set up and get started with. Older cars can still be very fast you just have to get into the set up window.

Enjoy your Xray, you should find lots of set up info and spares around for it. Good luck.