Search
Like Tree84Likes

State of modified onroad in the US

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default State of modified onroad in the US

I have a couple thoughts/questions about the state/health of the modified class here in the good old US of A

I was sitting at my local track and decided to take a look at the coverage of the 2020 ROAR Carpet Onroad Nats and when I looked at the results from yesterday, I saw only 15 drivers entered in touring modified and only 8 entered in 12th scale modified. I looked at the results from the IFMAR 12th Scale Worlds in England and the top American finish was 16th. I remember when the modified classes featured many well known names and some of the top drivers in the world populating the drivers stand and routinely saw down through 4 or 5 full mains minimum at both the Carpet and Paved Onroad Nationals in just the modified classes.

What do you think is the reason (or reasons) for this particular issue and is this something that can be fixed?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I have a couple thoughts/questions about the state/health of the modified class here in the good old US of A

I was sitting at my local track and decided to take a look at the coverage of the 2020 ROAR Carpet Onroad Nats and when I looked at the results from yesterday, I saw only 15 drivers entered in touring modified and only 8 entered in 12th scale modified. I looked at the results from the IFMAR 12th Scale Worlds in England and the top American finish was 16th. I remember when the modified classes featured many well known names and some of the top drivers in the world populating the drivers stand and routinely saw down through 4 or 5 full mains minimum at both the Carpet and Paved Onroad Nationals in just the modified classes.

What do you think is the reason (or reasons) for this particular issue and is this something that can be fixed?

Dont just look at the names, look at the brands. There are currently no US branded companies making anything onroad (Oval withstanding). Mod and US drivers still fill the pits at national and international off road events.

Additionally, the ROAR Nats and IFMAR Worlds use to be the big events. Now there are several large national and international events just here in the US every year that seem to hold more prestige now than ROAR or IFMAR titles.

times change.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you cant replace your throttle with a little switch that you dont even have to release for the hairpin a the end of the straight, its too fast and needs MORE RULES. Nobody really races Mod in the US, apparently its too hard.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

I wholeheartedly concur that times change proffesor. There was a time when they filled the pits in both on and offroad for all the modified classes.
Jack Kloeber likes this.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DesertRat
If you cant replace your throttle with a little switch that you dont even have to release for the hairpin a the end of the straight, its too fast and needs MORE RULES. Nobody really races Mod in the US, apparently its too hard.
your last sentence could spawn a whole other rant DesertRat.

Not onroad related but I got a used T5M from one of the regulars at my new track and I decided on a 13.5 for it. If I put a mod motor in it, I'm learning with a land missile on an indoor carpet track even with throttle turned down to like 25 percent. You've got more experienced people than I am running 17.5 at my track in both on and offroad (the track is only a couple months old it should be noted). Is modified hard? Absolutely compared to 17.5, 21.5 and 25.5...but frankly the only way to get better is to try harder things. There will no doubt be growing pains but if people would keep working with it instead of running back to dominating 17.5, 21.5 or 25.5, you might not see an immediate rebirth but you'll see more growth I would think, but that's merely my feelings about it.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Since some said there are no USA brands except oval---- CRC but they dont make oval cars just 1/10th and 1/12th pan cars.I could mention the ROAR nationals and ROAR have not been what they used to be. The speeds of all the classes are faster than what the brushed motors were to me. I could say alot more but I'll wait.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

There are zero American major touring car manufacturers:
Awesomatix is in Lithuania
XRay is in Slovakia
Tamiya Yokomo and Kyosho are Japan
Schumacher is in the UK
Serpent is in The Netherlands

I could go on but Associated and Losi carried the Stars and Stripes for the longest time and then just Associated when Losi stopped after I think the JRXS. CRC is the only American pan car maker unless Speedmerchant is still in business

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 03-07-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

There are zero American major touring car manufacturers:
Awesomatix is in Lithuania
XRay is in Slovakia
Tamiya Yokomo and Kyosho are Japan
Schumacher is in the UK
Serpent is in The Netherlands

I could go on but Associated and Losi carried the Stars and Stripes for the longest time and then just Associated when Losi stopped after I think the JRXS. CRC is the only American pan car maker unless Speedmerchant is still in business
Gizmo Genesis is the only American touring car at the moment
racer034life likes this.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I was referring to TC when I said that and forgot about Gizmo. My apologies.

I also apologize for forgetting about 1/10 & 1/12 on road and the tens of people who race it nationwide.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Gizmo Genesis is the only American touring car at the moment
Thanks for the reply Marcos. I was trying to say there are no American major manufacturers as far as touring car is concerned. pan car isnt as big as it was but there are more than 10s running them (the guys in the 12th and 10th 235 threads might take offense proffesor)
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Track size? Indoor tracks in the US seem to be getting smaller. Doesn't really lend itself to high speed or boost/turbo unless you just want to go back and forth the length of the track. Deb's indoor was barely big enough (dirt or carpet), coastal....jury is still out.
Anthony Tziotis likes this.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 03-07-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

For what it's worth we are seeing our Mod classes grow at our club races in Mod Touring Car and in the State Series in Florida. We have a few "Pro's", and many more Average Joes stepping up. It's nice not to have to worry about getting the most out of your motor and batteries...
DaveVera likes this.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Good that you're seeing it down in FL.

As to the bigger events than Nationals I'm not seeing a ton on the onroad side other than Snowbirds, IIC and USIC in Cleveland for touring and 12th. There are events for USGT and VTA that I've seen over the years but nothing that includes modified or Pro Mod (although I've been out of the game other than lurking on the forums so correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 03-07-2020, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Have you tried to wheel a modern 3.5 1/12....they are bonkers. Not a lot of guys that can hang on to them for 8 minutes without a "board meeting". With 8000mah batteries the cars just gotten to fast. Look at the split in speed from 1-5 at any mod race. 1-3 are more or less on pace everyone else is in the way and lap traffic. Sure you can motor down to a more controllable speed but the 1% of racers that can wheel it are still going to destroy you.

When mod was popular the car were significantly slower and heavier and you could easily dump and you didn't drive full punch for 8 minutes.

Watching the Euro this weekend and 6.5 seem like reasonable compromise as mod is basically spec 6.5 class.

I think batteries need to be like 3800 Mah to make mod work as you are limited by capacity. 1/8 onroad fuel capacity has been 125cc for ever. 1/12 gone from 1200 to 8000 mah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine how bonkers nitro racing would be if you had double or more fuel capacity!

Other option is to make race significantly longer like 10-12 minutes so you would be unable to run motor that had so much power and not dump on your face 3/4 thru the run.
S.Stew and Anthony Tziotis like this.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez
Have you tried to wheel a modern 3.5 1/12....they are bonkers. Not a lot of guys that can hang on to them for 8 minutes without a "board meeting". With 8000mah batteries the cars just gotten to fast. Look at the split in speed from 1-5 at any mod race. 1-3 are more or less on pace everyone else is in the way and lap traffic. Sure you can motor down to a more controllable speed but the 1% of racers that can wheel it are still going to destroy you.

When mod was popular the car were significantly slower and heavier and you could easily dump and you didn't drive full punch for 8 minutes.

Watching the Euro this weekend and 6.5 seem like reasonable compromise as mod is basically spec 6.5 class.

I think batteries need to be like 3800 Mah to make mod work as you are limited by capacity. 1/8 onroad fuel capacity has been 125cc for ever. 1/12 gone from 1200 to 8000 mah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine how bonkers nitro racing would be if you had double or more fuel capacity!

Other option is to make race significantly longer like 10-12 minutes so you would be unable to run motor that had so much power and not dump on your face 3/4 thru the run.
Going from a low-stress modified to wringing the piss out of a 6.5 like its a stock motor will not help, especially after they realize that the guys who win at open mod win at 6.5. It will just mean we have three stock classes and no open modified at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.