State of modified onroad in the US

Like Tree84Likes

State of modified onroad in the US

Old 03-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have a small on Road track ( outdoor)that has
been heating up.Tc cars are showing up!
our track is a bit small for Mod tho. R/c in general has almost died a few Deaths here in So Kal
look back Ten Years,in off road if not for the Slash
and 4x4 slash r/c was about Done.When thesct 4x4 craze happened We might get 3 or 4 stock buggies at the track.Open indoor clay tracks(many) and the combination of the Two took off like a Rocket..
1/10 scale is Huge Here once again.Slowing up now that 4 or 5 of those tracks are Gone. When 13.5 4x4 buggy racing started it allowed more SLOW drivers to Race the class.We all know what happened to "stock" racing,13.5 included.
Mod 4x4 Racing has vanished!!!! Even Here!
The carpet guys running 13.5 buggys in door I dont Get at All,Ditch the Jumps and run T/c Jeez.lol
Mod in general is Dying out.All things Return in this Hobby. With Rents going Up. It makes more sence
to run an asphalt on road track that can be moved to other (parking lots) Mod on Road will come back
all things do,but it wont look like it used to,never does. Off to said Track, 1st shakedwn run for newly built t4 20, Right now lol,yes 17.5 i do live 1 mile from steel city.May build Gizmo Mod Car for That Scene. Cheers!

Old 03-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=DesertRat;15607742]IFMAR had been a bit of a comedy of errors for a while, like their Touring world championship where only three cars would finish the A main heat race because everyone not in the running for a top finish pulled off to save their tires, tires they were explicitly not allowed to run any sort of traction additive on. /QUOTE]

Seriously? When was it?
Old 03-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Airwave;15607756]
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
IFMAR had been a bit of a comedy of errors for a while, like their Touring world championship where only three cars would finish the A main heat race because everyone not in the running for a top finish pulled off to save their tires, tires they were explicitly not allowed to run any sort of traction additive on. /QUOTE]

Seriously? When was it?
I want to say 2012? Not knocking any of the racers, but its hard to say that it was typical of RC racing you may find at a club track. They had I think 3 sets of tires for all of the qualifiers and the mains, and after one run they were noticeably slower, so everyone was pulling off the track to save tires. I'm pretty sure they were not allowed tire sauce of any sort.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Sad if mod tc went away...

Last edited by imprsme; 03-08-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

This sort of statement hurts my soul. There is no situation where 17.5 is too fast for the track.

I have to wonder, in your new 21.5 Slow Touring class, would you let someone run an illegal motor? I think the answer would be a resounding NO because more power would mean faster laps, so dont tell me that the motors are too fast for the track.
I hate to argue because it serves no point, but...
17.5 is too much for a beginner racer to hold on to at my track. Yes I can drive it, so can the other guys who race in our dying TC class, all 3 of us. It is a tenth or two faster a lap. We had a Motiv series race held at our track in January. TC was 17.5, well I donít have a 17.5 so I ran my 21.5 and so did the guy who won the A main. I started racing TCís with NiMH batteries and brushed motors with foam tires. At our track 27t stock motors on foam tires turned 33 to 34 laps in 5 minutes. I can turn 34 laps at the track with my vta car on crappy rubber tires and a 25.5 in 5 minutes. There is a lot more to say, but stock today isnít the same as stock the stock of yesteryear. Motors are faster and keep getting faster.
Rick Vessell and Buckaroo like this.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Making the race time longer will just mean running bigger batteries. There is no rule against running a 20,000mah battery, and if there was a demand for them they would exist. If you somehow made another RULE saying that you could only run small pack, of say 5000mah, that would be nearly impossible to regulate because as we all know battery packs are not equal, and we would have the problem we had with the old cells where the good batteries were segregated out for the race team and everyone else got what was left.

The truth is that people don't run Mod for two reasons. People who think they lack the talent or experience to race mod never bother and keep racing stock, and people who would race Mod don't want to run alone so they never get any practice or experience, then when the big nationals event comes around they stick with what they know.
Limit case size again. Basically current 1s 8000mah is 2 cell 4000mah cell in parallel. Make battery case smaller size of current 4000mah 1s cell and that will limit capacity

You currently don't have unlimited capacity as your limit by how much you can stuff in a 1s case.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you somehow made another RULE saying that you could only run small pack, of say 5000mah, that would be nearly impossible to regulate because as we all know battery packs are not equal, and we would have the problem we had with the old cells where the good batteries were segregated out for the race team and everyone else got what was left.
Josh Cyrul has been advocating a smaller allowable dimension for 1 cell packs. You can only put so much material in the space of a pack. No need to regulate mAh. The size would have to be reviewed every few years or so, with the advancements in technology.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

If I were to take a swing at this. I think the limitation is related to the lack of "reason" to move up to faster classes. There's no reward for running a car in the riskier class.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
I hate to argue because it serves no point, but...
17.5 is too much for a beginner racer to hold on to at my track. Yes I can drive it, so can the other guys who race in our dying TC class, all 3 of us. It is a tenth or two faster a lap. We had a Motiv series race held at our track in January. TC was 17.5, well I donít have a 17.5 so I ran my 21.5 and so did the guy who won the A main. I started racing TCís with NiMH batteries and brushed motors with foam tires. At our track 27t stock motors on foam tires turned 33 to 34 laps in 5 minutes. I can turn 34 laps at the track with my vta car on crappy rubber tires and a 25.5 in 5 minutes. There is a lot more to say, but stock today isnít the same as stock the stock of yesteryear. Motors are faster and keep getting faster.
That right there. EVERYTHING has moved up at least one motor class in terms of capability. Take a 17.5 from 5 years ago and put it against one from today. Order of magnitude different in the speed and torque of the new one. Same with the batteries of 5 years ago, not to mention that third gen ESCs are so much more efficient as a pass through (even the Juststock). Couple that with batteries with a higher energy density, and higher torque motors with ESC that are more efficient.....not even the same animal as 5 years ago. Chassis have become more sophisticated, too. Look at the changes between a xray T3 and a T4, or in buggy in a B4.1 and the current crop of B6s.

My track is new, but about the same size as the old (now closed) carpet track. VTAs are turning lap times that used to be 17.5 TC times.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Personally I think we need longer mains.

With so many tracks closing down, and the cost of the hobby increasing - it can be hard to swallow spending a whole day for 20ish minutes of driving. Most people spend at least 2 hours round trip to and from a track anymore it seems. As everyone has said, run times are longer, motors are more efficient. I think we need to see 10-20 minute mains for these slower classes. Make it less about running a "perfect" race unless its triple A main style.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

We have a good sized indoor track here with black carpet but mod scares the hell out me. I've clipped a pipe a time or two coming off the straight in 17.5 that left a yard sale of parts on the track. I don't have the time or money to invest in a chance of clipping a pipe to leave my Awesomatix in disrepair from a small mistake. Indoor tracks and pipes are not your friend when a mistake is made, mod can make that even costlier. 17.5 is still pretty damn fast nowadays and times aren't that far off from mod for indoor racing. If i had more time to spend racing i'd probably run a mod motor for the giggles but time is limited.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

We have way too many classes today in onroad and that is the reason there is a small turnout in each class, back in the day you either raced stock or mod.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

There are a lot of rose colored glasses in this thread.

The reason this hobby is not at its peak is not because we don't have enough rules or because its expensive, but that there are alternative hobbies that are more accessible, like video games. In truth, this hobby has never been cheaper, for $500 I could build a competitive stock touring car out of new parts, our motors are zero maintenance, batteries last as long as we want them to last, our tires come mounted on the rims ready to race.

Mod is actually fine. If its too fast for you try to think about it more as a technology showcase than a class and stop trying to slow it down. If we really want people to move up to Modified, maybe we should make Super Stock 10.5 or even ***GASP!*** BOOSTED so drivers can get some experience with power and speed before trying to race Mod.
Flygio likes this.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Modified 1/12 was difficult on ozite. It is even more difficult on black carpet with spools. I certainly have struggled with that transition, partially evidenced through my result at Worlds - where I was stronger on the different surface. Changing back to boosted has helped with efficiency and feel, but the jury is out on whether it has made it more difficult for the folks who were already struggling with blinky or are just trying to survive. Blinky 6.5t already failed once in the US - do we really need to go down that path again? Our class is currently in alignment with IFMAR - do we really want to change that at the same time we discuss poor participation at Worlds?

Personally, I think that if you want to slow the cars down and help with the large gaps in pace, you need to force a functional diff and a slower tire, potentially even spec for large events. Neither of those change the battery/motor equation, but would result in slightly slower cars that are easier to control. Do I really want the class to go in that direction? No, of course not. Do I want closer racing with a larger field? Yes, of course.

I personally think I am evidence that if someone with average talent applies themselves to the task, they can run mod. And for years now I have been waiting for the spec motor/battery games to make people transition to mod - thus increasing the talent pool and quality of field. Maybe we can turn it around for Worlds in 2022 - but first we need people who want to run the class.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

This is based upon what I experienced in the last 2 years of the "on-road" scene in Chicago ...
Behind each track/facility is an owner or finance-guy who end's up either being neglected, used
or maligned by the central hardcore group. Being unable or unwilling to step up themselves, this group
imposes lofty goals on others and yet sits idly by when the time comes to deliver. The recent implosion of
1950 Ruby , blamed on one, was in fact the result of inept teamwork & leadership compounded with a
complete disregard of common business sense . If that group ever gets it's act together (doubtfully)
they might take into account the old saying "don't bite the hand that feeds you" ....
Joe Maxey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.