R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   ep mod class tire set life on low/medium grip asphault (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1060759-ep-mod-class-tire-set-life-low-medium-grip-asphault.html)

kdrak 02-26-2020 01:40 AM

ep mod class tire set life on low/medium grip asphault

Hi all,

Using Volante tough Gold 36-R on a low-medium large asphault track running TC modified class and seems to be some dispute about tire set life.

Some racers claim that this kind of tire lasts only for 3 batteries and then their lap times drop significantly. Some other racers claim that the lap good times even for 8 batteries. Anyway, I guess this has to to with driving and set up differences. However, what do you think about tire life on TC modified class ? Generally speaking , what is your experience with tire life is modified class?

Thanks in advance.

daleburr 02-26-2020 08:26 AM

Normally you get one mega run (first run), providing the tyres are not too edgy and the setup can make the most of the tyres. Otherwise the first run can be hard work.
Second run will be a bit slower, maybe a tenth or two per lap depending on the tyre.
Third run a bit slower again.
Then fairly consistent until they go in the bin (8-12 runs depending on tyres and track).

Kevin Marcy 02-26-2020 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by daleburr (Post 15602380)
Normally you get one mega run (first run), providing the tyres are not too edgy and the setup can make the most of the tyres. Otherwise the first run can be hard work.
Second run will be a bit slower, maybe a tenth or two per lap depending on the tyre.
Then fairly consistent until they go in the bin (8-12 runs depending on tyres and track).

That's basically the same experience I've had. Running on a LARGE 1/8th scale track (200' straightaway, mostly large sweeping turns) I put new tires on for the 3rd round and the main. Next race, did the same thing. My laps were 1.5 seconds faster with fresh tires in round 3 compared to around 2 on a set with 5 runs on them. Same tires, no setup changes.

Last year they decided to allow foam tires or rubber as an experiment. Most ran foam (nitro rubber), and we saw very little performance fall-off (if any). A set of foam tires can easily last 2-3 race days (with ride-height adjustments). And they're cheaper. Guess which type I'll be running this year... (assuming the rules don't change)

daleburr 02-27-2020 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy (Post 15602569)
That's basically the same experience I've had. Running on a LARGE 1/8th scale track (200' straightaway, mostly large sweeping turns) I put new tires on for the 3rd round and the main. Next race, did the same thing. My laps were 1.5 seconds faster with fresh tires in round 3 compared to around 2 on a set with 5 runs on them. Same tires, no setup changes.

Last year they decided to allow foam tires or rubber as an experiment. Most ran foam (nitro rubber), and we saw very little performance fall-off (if any). A set of foam tires can easily last 2-3 race days (with ride-height adjustments). And they're cheaper. Guess which type I'll be running this year... (assuming the rules don't change)

Oh man, don't get me started on that. Foams are awesome for consistency. For club days and practice you can't beat them.

RC Tech Foam Tyre Thread

kdrak 02-27-2020 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by daleburr (Post 15602380)

Hi and thanks for the info you have shared.

Is it possible to post some example track times that you get for the first 3 runs and then the track times for the rest of the runs? I just want to notice what if the drop off in performance from the 1st run to the 4th run that afterwards you have consistency.

b3master 02-27-2020 11:30 AM

I can concur, first couple batteries the tires are almost edgy but very fast, they get easier to drive and more consistent for 8-10 batteries then become uncompetative.
Same experience here, low medium traction with big sweeper turns i think the insert is getting deformed and losing support after the 8th battery...