R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Ride Height Problem

Ok you know wow a chair will wobble if one leg is shorter then the rest, and it will wobble on that leg and the other leg thats diagonally opposite to it? Well thats whats happening with my car. I was adjusting the ride height today and noticed this. Its happening to the front left and the read right wheels. I cant Figure out whats going on Can someone help?
aN4rK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Screwed up droop screws and extream Tweak. Been there done that. Good luck. Maybe pick up the XXXs set up booklet; best 20$ I layed out.

Jacko
The Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Use a downstop guage to get it even.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld
Thumbs up

It sounds like your tweak is wayyy out of whack.. What car is this? The yok in your sig? Does it use countersunk or buttonhead screws on the upperdeck? If they're button head screws, get yourself an 82 degree countersink bit and countersink all of the upper deck screw holes then use the appropriate screws. To alleviate the problem right now, pick your car up and just lightly twist it in the other direction... ie, hold it by the front and rear of the car and twist it lightly toward the tires that are raised. This is only a temporary fix though. As soon as you whack a board, it's likely to get retweaked. I had the same problem with my Evo IV and as soon as I countersunk the upper deck, I never had any more tweak issues.

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcCzarOfOld
It sounds like your tweak is wayyy out of whack.. What car is this? The yok in your sig? Does it use countersunk or buttonhead screws on the upperdeck? If they're button head screws, get yourself an 82 degree countersink bit and countersink all of the upper deck screw holes then use the appropriate screws. To alleviate the problem right now, pick your car up and just lightly twist it in the other direction... ie, hold it by the front and rear of the car and twist it lightly toward the tires that are raised. This is only a temporary fix though. As soon as you whack a board, it's likely to get retweaked. I had the same problem with my Evo IV and as soon as I countersunk the upper deck, I never had any more tweak issues.

Tony
Hello Tony,
ya its the yok in my sig, so you saying its a problem with up upper deck? It uses button head on the top deck. Ok ill try that today. Thanks for the help
Old 03-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to COLEKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aN4rK1
Hello Tony,
ya its the yok in my sig, so you saying its a problem with up upper deck? It uses button head on the top deck. Ok ill try that today. Thanks for the help

It could be your top deck but I would check your droop screws and your shock length first.

Team TAOB 2004
COLEKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Tech Addict

I got some updates, I forgot to mention in my first post and the wobble is only about 1 mm.
Ok i took off my top deck to see if that was the problem. It Didnt do anything. its still wobbly. Next i check all my droop screws and took them off. Same thing. Then i switched around the shocks to see if it was them, nothing. Is there a possibility that my bottom deck is warped? Iam stumped
The season starts in like 2 weeks and I need this fixed
Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to hurley081182 Send a message via Yahoo to hurley081182

yeah most likely the bottom deck is warped because of the motor mount. what i did when i had my sd was take off the bottom deck push it down straight and see if that helps. been in your shoes a few times so i know what you mean. is the chassis a rayspeed or ssg?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

i think in your case the best way to start would be to remove the wheels, disconnect the shocks and remove the top deck, you could also loosen the bulkhead mounting screws and retighten them slowly and in a diagonal sequence. Place the car on a totally flat surface (glass works well) and see if the chassis lies flat. If it does then replace the top deck and tighten the screws diagonally opposite and recheck if the car is still flat. If all is well then the problem should be in your shock lengths (if you have any digital calipers you can measure each length when totally extended they need to be equal left to right) or your droop screws.
redlinezak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, The chasis the the SSG. Iam gonan take EVERYTHING off and see if its the bottom deck.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
Tech Master

What I find strange is that you say your car wobbles when trying to set your ride height. That would suggest that you are tightening the shock collars a lot and setting ride height with the droop screws.

There's NO way your car will wobble on 3 legs when the car's resting unless you have super compressed springs that pushes the wishbones till the droop screws stops them even when the car's sitting on its wheels ready to go, and that would be a very bad way of setting your car up.

In that case i suggest you run more droop and set ride height with the shock collars only.

just my 0.02$
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
Tech Addict

TRF415boy- Sorry for the confusion, but the way i was setting the ride height was with the shock mounts on the shock tower and the A-arms. And it doesnt really wobble. The "wobble" is very very miniscule. The way i really noticed it after the changed the ride height, i went to spin each of the wheels to see if they were spinning freely. I noticed that, if my car was on my work bench and I lighly spinned the rear right wheel, it would just spin but not move the car forward. If i pressed a little harder it would move the car. Same thing with the front left wheel.
Well i think i found the reason, I checked my chasis and indeed it is sligly warped. Iam sure it was like what when I got it cuz it was used and i got a real good deal on it. And ive ran it many times and it seemed to be ok. So i guess all i need is a new lower deck. Until i get one, I think iam gonan just true my front right, and rear left tires about .5mm more and the car should sit flush. Thanks for all the help.