Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Running shorty's in a touring car >

Running shorty's in a touring car

Like Tree41Likes

Running shorty's in a touring car

Old 02-15-2020, 04:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Running shorty's in a touring car

Hey guys, are people having success running shorty lipos in there TC ? Is there a brace out there made up . Some 3d printed thing maybe. I'm running a MTS so there nothing I can find that's already made. Anyone point me into the right direction.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Depending on the car there are solutions.

The Schumacher Mi7 has the screw holes to mount the battery far up allowing the space to re arrange your electronics to keep your car balanced.

Awesomatix has a weight package available to center the shorty battery to keep your car balanced.

Letting us know what chassis you have may help with some direction.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duckman996 View Post

The Schumacher Mi7 has the screw holes to mount the battery far up allowing the space to re arrange your electronics to keep your car balanced.

Awesomatix has a weight package available to center the shorty battery to keep your car balanced.

with the Gizmo is very easy

SteveM, *SBH*, Brian10811 and 1 others like this.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run shorty lipos in my 3racing Sakura advance S. Came with the extra holes in the chassis to do it. Even if a chassis didn't have the holes, wouldn't be too difficult to drill them on a press.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Xray has this solution.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

if you flip the servo to the right and the shorty behind like my car there is no need to add the weight plates my car is perfectly balanced front to rear and left to right
Old 02-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default It's a MTS T3. :)

It's a MTS T3

Old 02-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

I saw the video of Yugo Nagashima’s Serpent X20 Medius from the Snowbirds,where he was running a shorty with some brass braces. Not sure if those were Serpent prototype parts or 3rd party parts that they adapted into the chassis.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:05 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

How are you guys liking the shorty lipo for stock racing? Voltage drop an issue or no?
Old 02-15-2020, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In stock racing with 17.5t you feel and see no difference. In 13.5t it is a small disadvantage in power through the voltage drop. And in Mod you have a clear disadvantage on every straight and acceleration area.
That is how I experienced the use of shorties.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
How are you guys liking the shorty lipo for stock racing? Voltage drop an issue or no?
i like it ! no issues with voltage drops
Old 02-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
In stock racing with 17.5t you feel and see no difference. In 13.5t it is a small disadvantage in power through the voltage drop. And in Mod you have a clear disadvantage on every straight and acceleration area.
That is how I experienced the use of shorties.
Until recently it has only been mod drivers that tried shorty packs, they're overpowered already so the lower voltage doesn't really hurt.
Airwave likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

I think there might be something to be said about the environment you're running the packs. On a big outdoor track, voltage maintenance is more critical, you're up at high rpm, where every tenth of a volt is gonna help you overcome stator inductance. Indoor, tight carpet? The short straights will make voltage drop matter less, as you can just crank the timing or gear down a little.. you're just spinning those tires anyway.

Speaking of small batteries, I run a super shorty in my FF03 seeking low weight. Since a run in USGT uses like.. 1200-1400mah, and the super shorty is 2650mah.. seemed like a sane choice to me.

I kept it in using VHB under the battery, and a bit of duct tape over the battery.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Until recently it has only been mod drivers that tried shorty packs, they're overpowered already so the lower voltage doesn't really hurt.
Alexander Hagberg is a good example for that.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

I ran shorties in my vta car all 2019. Using same batteries whether I ran onroad or off-road was mega. (That's really the only reason I did it)

On our outdoor onroad track ballasting up to be right on min weight and the weight bias tuning was nice. For a low caliber driver in a slow car it worked great for me.
Nerobro likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.