R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
RC_Woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Helens, OR
Posts: 313
Default How to drive a one-way?

Ok I run sportmans Spec Stock(everyone runs same motor/tires)

Ok So my front diff went out last night at my local club race so I threw in a one-way and was curious on the theory behind how to drive a one-way.
I have had a one way in before and couldn't drive it so I went back to the front diff, even though I know if you can drive a one-way its suppose to be faster. Is that because you can carry more corner speed?

I know a one-way gives you more all around steering, but you loose braking.
So if you rely on braking for off power steering it drives like you actually have lost a ton of steering going into(off-power) corners, its even more noticable in high speed corners like off of a sweeper.

So.. I'm thinking that I need to slow down a little sooner and power through the corners more? I probably should be doing it that way anyways, but how my car was setup I was used to relying on more motor breaking than what I was, This led me to blowing past the sweeper big time, then because I have more steering in the infield I was turning in too soon on the infield.

Am I on base? anybody got any good theories/practices for driving one-way?

Woody
__________________
Woody
Sponsored by - My Wallet
LOSI SCTE
Tekno EB48
Home Track: Firridge Raceway, Scappoose OR
RC_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Tech Champion
 
rayhuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Posts: 6,511
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default

Just coming from my first race ever using a one-way instead of diff, I can give you these tips. I feel-even with very little experience that this will help!!

1-car set-up must change. Most likely a front sway bar if you werent running one and up a spring rate. Maybe also a little more rear toe-in if your heavy on the throttle inputs still.

2-driving style must be up a whole nother level on smoothness. MOST importantly approaching turn in and going towards apex. You must roll out of throttle for slow corners a little earlier and not shut off the throttle like a light switch. Roll it off and keep rolling it off as you turn in. No sawing at wheel as well as that upsets the car and heats up the tires (see below).

3-expect to only roll out of throttle to about half throttle!! If your ina long series of corners-unlike a diff and foam tires, you wont be going off throttle, full throttle, off throttle, full throttle!!! YOu may find you rolll back to half throttle and hold it at half through that section and go quicker than "revving" the throttle.


4-If you over drive a one-way car-expect to over heat the rear tires early and expect a loose car the rest of the race.


5-On power its the same deal. Roll it on, especially if your in a long corner. Be patient,the one-way does the work for you carrying momentum into the corner and putting it down as you go out.

Hope this helps!! The guys who race rubber tires and one-ways all the time may disagree, but they dont run a diff 100% of the time either!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Company Representative
 
Tres's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WWW.TNT-FX.COM
Posts: 3,403
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

along with what Ray says:

Learn brake in straight line only.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
rayhuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Posts: 6,511
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres
along with what Ray says:

Learn brake in straight line only.

Brakes-what are those???????? I never got to the braking part, at least not in 19t!! Once a foam tire driver-always a foam tire driver. Though i have seen Blackstock and other pros using brakes in certain corners on carpet.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maitland, FL
Posts: 2,186
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon
Default

Easy... dont never brake
__________________
🤔
Roberto Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
RC_Woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Helens, OR
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
Just coming from my first race ever using a one-way instead of diff, I can give you these tips. I feel-even with very little experience that this will help!!

1-car set-up must change. Most likely a front sway bar if you werent running one and up a spring rate. Maybe also a little more rear toe-in if your heavy on the throttle inputs still.

2-driving style must be up a whole nother level on smoothness. MOST importantly approaching turn in and going towards apex. You must roll out of throttle for slow corners a little earlier and not shut off the throttle like a light switch. Roll it off and keep rolling it off as you turn in. No sawing at wheel as well as that upsets the car and heats up the tires (see below).

3-expect to only roll out of throttle to about half throttle!! If your ina long series of corners-unlike a diff and foam tires, you wont be going off throttle, full throttle, off throttle, full throttle!!! YOu may find you rolll back to half throttle and hold it at half through that section and go quicker than "revving" the throttle.


4-If you over drive a one-way car-expect to over heat the rear tires early and expect a loose car the rest of the race.


5-On power its the same deal. Roll it on, especially if your in a long corner. Be patient,the one-way does the work for you carrying momentum into the corner and putting it down as you go out.

Hope this helps!! The guys who race rubber tires and one-ways all the time may disagree, but they dont run a diff 100% of the time either!!!
Thanks Ray that helps a little. I actually was pretty close in setup to a local guy that drives decent, but I was thinking along the same lines... bump the spring rate up one and put my rear toe back to 2 degrees. (I wasn't getting enough steering with the diff so I went to 1.5 toe-in)

so what you are saying is you have to be a more controlled driver, which I have heard before, you can see-saw the wheel and have to be smooth with the throttle. I will try that next Sat. thinking about not coming off the throttle too much in the infield and try to keep it at half throttle and above.

Yeah I try not to use brakes as well.. when I said braking in my first post I just meant motor braking by letting off the throttle.

Woody
__________________
Woody
Sponsored by - My Wallet
LOSI SCTE
Tekno EB48
Home Track: Firridge Raceway, Scappoose OR
RC_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Company Representative
 
Tres's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WWW.TNT-FX.COM
Posts: 3,403
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I even put a little bit of roll into the TH. and also limit the amount of FULL brake I have..
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 140
Default

Ray - Thanks a ton!

I'm a novice driver and recently went out with a new car equipped with a one-way and was unable to drive it. I thought it was the set-up but now I see it's really my driving style since I'm used to a front diff. You saved me a lot of chassis adjustment time. I'll put a diff in until my driving skills improve.
Lano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Tech Champion
 
rayhuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Posts: 6,511
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lano
Ray - Thanks a ton!

I'm a novice driver and recently went out with a new car equipped with a one-way and was unable to drive it. I thought it was the set-up but now I see it's really my driving style since I'm used to a front diff. You saved me a lot of chassis adjustment time. I'll put a diff in until my driving skills improve.
I thought my car was still scary loose too-but when I saw a good rubber tire driver drive it after the Main, I just looked at him and said "wow-its really f.... good isnt it?" He didnt even have to say-I could tell from watching it-it was nearly dialed.

A very good set-up is required to!! DOnt get me wrong, but a big change in driving style is critical. I dont thnk you can make a one-way car fast and drive like a foam tire car with a diff. It aint possible!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
RC_Woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Helens, OR
Posts: 313
Default

This made me think... do they typically run one-ways in Stock foam or put the diff back in when going to foam.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
I thought my car was still scary loose too-but when I saw a good rubber tire driver drive it after the Main, I just looked at him and said "wow-its really f.... good isnt it?" He didnt even have to say-I could tell from watching it-it was nearly dialed.

A very good set-up is required to!! DOnt get me wrong, but a big change in driving style is critical. I dont thnk you can make a one-way car fast and drive like a foam tire car with a diff. It aint possible!!
__________________
Woody
Sponsored by - My Wallet
LOSI SCTE
Tekno EB48
Home Track: Firridge Raceway, Scappoose OR
RC_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
Tech Champion
 
rayhuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Posts: 6,511
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default

diffs on foam 99.99999999% of the time. Only a few guys have reported that dialed one-way foam set-up.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 140
Default

So if you want to be competitive in stock rubber on carpet is a one-way required?
Lano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lano
So if you want to be competitive in stock rubber on carpet is a one-way required?
No, not if you can't adjust your driving to suit it. Not everyone will be comfortable or consistent using one-ways(I know because I'm one of those), but there are other things you can do that aren't quite the same but can still help, like tightening your front diff(& I mean making it VERY tight) or running a spool(kinda like a one-way, but has no diff action whatsoever, both wheels stay locked together all the time), but again, changes must be made to car & driving style to take advantage of it(& again, some people will just not feel comfortable with it). Personally, I'll use just diffs as much as I can, & only resort to other thigns if all else fails(because I know that if I try one-ways or spools, I'll not drive as consistently as I do otherwise). Just keep this in mind, if you can't learn how to smoothly roll out of & back into throttle, & cut a VERY smooth line through corners every time, then you may just suffer more from spools or one-ways, but if you can drive smoothly & can adapt, then you might be faster with them....
__________________
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12, Associated B5m Factory Lite

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice
 
BugFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bergen - Norway
Posts: 83
Default

I have limited the brakes from the radio.. that way I can use the brake a bit - and it prevents it from acting like a handbrake..
__________________
Svein E. Pedersen
- tamiya4ever -
BugFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #15
Tech Addict
 
AngryAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 550
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Use a one-way.. but upgrade to a brushless? LoL..

It just happens that the lack of drag brake on a BL motor is perfect for one-way driving. Not only do you get the super high corner speed of the one-way, but non of the twitchiness off throttle as the motor drag transfers weight to the front wheels...


But in all seriousness... try stiffening the whole car with a one-way. You gain ALOT of steering off power and even more on power.You want to minimise alot of the rear-forward weight transfer, and also any rolling tendencies that you get with the increased steering. Fast one-way setups always seem to corner super flat.. they don't need any chassis roll to hold the corner grip(and speed)

Usual one-way setup including stiffer front springs and an industrial sized roll bar.

If you can adjust the length of your camber links, then try using a short front link. This sacrifices some steering for more a more consistent car. The short link seems to make the whole car more predictable.
Opposite goes for the rear - make the link longer to gain some grip.

Try going for a more aggressive castor block.. This helps with turn-in but mellows out the exit steering. The car turns more smoothly and doesn't "hook" into a corner..

Lastly... use a little more toe in on the rear. Dial it out as you adjust your driving style.

Biggest tip... NEVER let off the throttle completely. Use the dual-rate to dial out some steering..

When i first started driving a one-way i was the same. I let off earlier and let the car roll through the corner with about 1/2 throttle. You soon realise you have a HUGE advantage with mid-corner speed.
Have faith... let off the throttle a touch to slow down and give it more power as you turn. You'll find you should be able to power right through sweepers that previously had you lifting off or feathering the throttle. It's hard to get you head around but apply POWER through the corners...

The more power (gradual of course!) the more the car settles...
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belt Drive vs shaft drive vic88my Nitro On-Road 16 11-10-2007 08:26 AM
Belt Drive versus Shaft Drive SUNA Nitro On-Road 20 03-28-2006 09:04 PM
Belt drive versus shaft drive...pros and cons of each? AttackDonut Rookie Zone 21 01-02-2005 05:23 PM
Belt drive or Shaft Drive tc3wood Electric On-Road 4 12-03-2004 07:57 AM
Shaft Drive or Belt Drive? dino.tw Nitro On-Road 109 05-25-2004 11:04 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net