Like Tree72Likes

Most Fun?

Old 02-03-2020, 08:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Most Fun?

Hello, everybody. I am looking to get into the hobby but was hesitant about which car to get. What class of cars do you think are the most fun/engaging? What would be the best car to start out in that class (good stock, with upgrade options)? Thank you everybody, and stay healthy!
Old 02-03-2020, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get a used XRay touring car, start in Novice, figure out the basics on the bench and on the track, and graduate to USGT. The fun comes from finding your race on the track. That can happen pretty quickly; you don't have to be a front runner to have a fun nose to tail with someone.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The fun depends on the group racing with. Let’s just say that some can take it far more seriously then most. Actually, I’ve yet to try it but most seem to see the Tamiya Euro truck class as fun.

Usually VTA( vintage touring car) or USGT are starting points. Some are fortunate enuff to have a actual sportsman class for people just starting.

F1 was actually the class that suprised me. And recently it’s been 1/12, but I’ve only raced that once. And don’t know when I’ll get next chance.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minjunk23111923 View Post
Hello, everybody. I am looking to get into the hobby but was hesitant about which car to get. What class of cars do you think are the most fun/engaging? What would be the best car to start out in that class (good stock, with upgrade options)? Thank you everybody, and stay healthy!
Go to your local track, and watch the guys who are racing to see who's smiling the most or are generally happy. Pick that class.
Lonestar, sps3172, wtcc and 3 others like this.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Fun is a subjective term, buy a reasonable used Xray or similar and steer clear of the politics and people who look like they take things way too seriously (Drivers stand dummy spits etc) and you'll be half way there

The wrong people can make any class anything BUT fun!

mooby64 and Bry195 like this.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The most fun that I've had in years is M-chassis, checkout Tamiya, Xpress, 3racing alot of fun
GimpyGolden likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:17 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rippen View Post
The most fun that I've had in years is M-chassis, checkout Tamiya, Xpress, 3racing alot of fun
Unfortunately “M” class seems to be tamiya only in the places that even run a “M class”.
tomcat125 likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are you set on on-road? Yeah, I know it's the onroad part of the forum... but the fun factor in offroad, especially for beginners is really second-to-none. I race both offroad and onroad and I'm usually more looking forward the the offroad races than the onroad ones, independently of my performance which happens to be about similar in both classes. My kids (13 and 10 yo) both race both categories with me since a couple of years ago, and they like offroad better too, the jumping factor adds 50% to the experience (from 2D to 3D...). At the end of an offroad day, you've giggled 10 times more than during a on-road raceday, which is pretty serious stuff in the end, and where every apex matters and approximation is to be avoided...

Whichever type of racing you pick, I recommend you choose a class where the gear you run makes little to no difference. This means you want to run either (1) a class with limited grip tyres so you don't have to buy the within-approval-list-motor/battery-of-the-month combo, because this takes a lot of the fun away as you always feel you're not wininng due to your neighbor spending more than you, and in turn you spend more than you'd like, typically to not get any better result in the end, or (2) modified so your fingers are limiting the limiting factor and not the spec'ed motor, but this means you have to be a bit humble at the start, which is not quite the sprit these days, as classes are more and more fragmented for club racing, so people don't get frustrated being ranked anything below 10th place.

(oh, and the manufactures love it too... because, frankly, since the appearance of silly revvy-and-torquey BL motors, endless-capa lipos and fantastically peforming $60 speedoes, all of them pretty much never wearing out, their cash flows were becoming a bit dry... Blinky 13.5/17.5/21.5/23.5/27.5 has saved them. But I digress!)

Net - I vote for 2wd modified offroad. Cars are light, robust, perform well, are so overpowered that you will be competitive with any $30 chinese motor, and you don't have to add $200 in lightweight options to make up that missing 1/10th of second per lap. Start with 60% throttle EPA and move this up as you gain skillz

Last edited by Lonestar; 02-04-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:57 AM
Tech Lord

Lonestar.

Im actually liking the few times I’ve done 17.5 carpet buggy far more then expected. I can’t quite imagine mod 2wheel. Or starting in a mod class.

To the original post.

what kind of track and what’s offered.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minjunk23111923 View Post
Good question and one that is not easily answered. I have raced almost all classes over the years and they were all fun & engaging up to a point. I've raced Tamiya mini, stock sedan, 12th pan, 10th pan, Formula 1, VTA, USGT, Tamiya MAN truck and we even used to race box stock HPI Micro RS4 cars on the 4AA alkaline cells. I would have to say that the HPI Micro RS4 car was the most fun and engaging car I ever ran, but that was long ago and not something that exists today.

The other classes were all great up to a point, but they all devolved into a huge money pit with people spending thousands on a chassis and thousands more on electronics, hot body of the day, tires, support equipment, radios, etc and then still cheated just to win. This has been the norm in VTA and USGT which seems to be the most popular class here now. Stock sedan has gotten so fast that the average guy can hardly keep his car between the boards anymore. Nobody runs mod sedan as speeds are only fractionally faster than stock sedan so it makes no sense.

Tamiya Mini was a blast, but got out of hand with people buying the red dot silver can motors, and spending huge amounts on the Tamiya hop-ups to win. It got to the point where it was less expensive to buy a high-end 4wd sedan than it was to run mini.

I picked up a Tamiya MAN truck this fall that was previously owned but new, never run or painted. I was skeptical about racing a truck with such a large cab-over body but was delighted to find out how much fun this class was. The good thing with these trucks is that they come with motor, ESC, body, tires and rims all in the box for a very reasonable price. With no adjustments possible, setup is easy and simple and there has been relatively zero maintenance. Just blow off the dust and you're ready to go.

You might want to visit your local race club and see what they run, see what class looks like fun to you and start there. If you find a class where drivers are yelling at marshals and angry with each other during a race, then keep looking. Remember, if you're not having fun they why are you there in the first place. Hopefully you will find a place to start.

Last edited by SteveM; 02-04-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
The other classes were all great up to a point, but they all devolved into a huge money pit with people spending thousands on a chassis and thousands more on electronics, hot body of the day, tires, support equipment, radios, etc and then still cheated just to win. This has been the norm in VTA and USGT which seems to be the most popular class here now. Stock sedan has gotten so fast that the average guy can hardly keep his car between the boards anymore. Nobody runs mod sedan as speeds are only fractionally faster than stock sedan so it makes no sense.

Tamiya Mini was a blast, but got out of hand with people buying the red dot silver can motors, and spending huge amounts on the Tamiya hop-ups to win. It got to the point where it was less expensive to buy a high-end 4wd sedan than it was to run mini.
My point exactly about "spec" classes with grippy cars not being fun any more.

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I picked up a Tamiya MAN truck this fall that was previously owned but new, never run or painted. I was skeptical about racing a truck with such a large cab-over body but was delighted to find out how much fun this class was. The good thing with these trucks is that they come with motor, ESC, body, tires and rims all in the box for a very reasonable price. With no adjustments possible, setup is easy and simple and there has been relatively zero maintenance. Just blow off the dust and you're ready to go.
My point exactly about fun racing low-grip classes
Nerobro likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Lonestar.

Im actually liking the few times Iíve done 17.5 carpet buggy far more then expected. I canít quite imagine mod 2wheel. Or starting in a mod class.

To the original post.

what kind of track and whatís offered.
racing 17.5 2wd is fun, until you have to spend $100 on the motor-of-the-month.

The learning curve is steep in 2wd mod if you start full-blast indeed - hence me recommending to go to a mild mod (like 10.5-ish) and using EPA to tame things down, and racing at the OP's own rythm. But at least you learn something and you don't feel cheated by the other guys based on how deep their wallets are... And some food for thought:
https://www.liverc.com/news/announce...ca_vs._the_UK/

But overall, yes, visit the tracks in your area, and look at the smiles-per-race-kpi

Nerobro and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

VTA is probably the best entry point. You can easily rebuild that car into USGT or TC when you want to go faster and the old 70's bodies are cool. I'm really liking f1 too. Probably a lot of that is it is another really scale class, but it isn't nearly as popular.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
racing 17.5 2wd is fun, until you have to spend $100 on the motor-of-the-month.

The learning curve is steep in 2wd mod if you start full-blast indeed - hence me recommending to go to a mild mod (like 10.5-ish) and using EPA to tame things down, and racing at the OP's own rythm. But at least you learn something and you don't feel cheated by the other guys based on how deep their wallets are... And some food for thought:
https://www.liverc.com/news/announce...ca_vs._the_UK/

But overall, yes, visit the tracks in your area, and look at the smiles-per-race-kpi
I race for fun. To see where I stand. Nearly all mine were bought used and have done next to nothing with them. I will not get caught up in the motor of the month thing. Fortunately itís not really a thing in the area. And even if I had the latest motor, Iíd still most likely run similar. I simply canít make up the 10-15-20 years experience the others have. Iíve watched more then once with different cars experienced drivers run times with my cars that years later I still canít run

And Iím fine with it. I race, but Iím not a racer. Iíll stop if itís not fun. I donít need to race to enjoy the hobby. But Iíve liked the racing Iíve done. Even when for two year the closest I got was 2-3 laps down.

Mod 2wheel isnít reall an option. The carpet track is too small. And the dirt/clay track looks more like combat driving. Far too many are relying on marshals to recover their vehicles on jumps they repeatedly see that canít make. But continue to ďsend it ď each lap.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I race for fun. To see where I stand. Nearly all mine were bought used and have done next to nothing with them. I will not get caught up in the motor of the month thing. Fortunately itís not really a thing in the area. And even if I had the latest motor, Iíd still most likely run similar. I simply canít make up the 10-15-20 years experience the others have. Iíve watched more then once with different cars experienced drivers run times with my cars that years later I still canít run

And Iím fine with it. I race, but Iím not a racer. Iíll stop if itís not fun. I donít need to race to enjoy the hobby. But Iíve liked the racing Iíve done. Even when for two year the closest I got was 2-3 laps down.
Amen to that - thanks for having that spirit and reminding us that we race toy cars for bowling trophies!
rippen likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.