Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gigaplex
  • 1 Post By Nerobro
  • 1 Post By Bryonkibildis

New to 1/10th racing.........

Old 02-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to 1/10th racing.........

Hello guys. First post. Used to race RC10s back in the late 80s and getting the desire to race again. I want to race stock class here in SOCAL. I have a sweet IMSA Z32 body and researching good entry level chassis. Whats recommended and what is the source for rules concerning motors, batteries, etc. There is a million times more info involved now that I'm 35 years into the future lol... Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

First step,.find a local club close to you and go talk to them to see what they race.

Typical classes are VTA (vintage trans am) ,USGT (Think LeMans sports cars or IMSA GT), there is even some spec classes like Tamiya truck class (box stock). More advanced classes are touring car stock and mod, F1 and 1/12 pancar for example.

All classes have their pros and cons so go see your local track to see what fits you best.
​​​​
Old 02-02-2020, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

The body you have likely won't fit into a y particular class but ask your local track what they will allow.

As for rules, ROAR has a rule set, vintage trans am has rules for VTA and USGT. Any 4WD TC chassis can get you started. Basic kits like Tamiya TA or TB tub chassis cars or more advanced like X-ray or Awesomatix. Sticker shock can be high, be prepared. It's a get what you pay for scenario, so really how far you want to dive in?

A decent radio, ESC and motor, try not to get sucked I to the latest and greatest. Good solid reliable to start, upgrade once you are faster than the equipment. Good luck & have fun!
Old 02-03-2020, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That body MIGHT get accepted for a newbie in USGT at your local track, if they're running that class. Any 4wd touring car chassis will do. You can get a new up to date one ($4-600) or a 1-2 year old one used ($250ish). Used motor will set you back $50ish, ESC $75ish, charger/power supply $100ish, radio $as much as you want to spend, and a battery $75ish. That'll get you going down the rabbit hole The motor you get and the tires that you use will be class specific, just like the body style.

Welcome to the club, surrender you wallet.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
That body MIGHT get accepted for a newbie in USGT at your local track, if they're running that class. Any 4wd touring car chassis will do. You can get a new up to date one ($4-600) or a 1-2 year old one used ($250ish). Used motor will set you back $50ish, ESC $75ish, charger/power supply $100ish, radio $as much as you want to spend, and a battery $75ish. That'll get you going down the rabbit hole The motor you get and the tires that you use will be class specific, just like the body style.

thank you so much for the intel 😎😎😎
Old 02-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Xpress XQ1S is a great entry level chassis and will save you a ton of cash.
Nerobro and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And on the same slant, i'm here to push the Sakura XI, or Sakura Advance S. The ver.Nu, and Advance S also come with Swaybars. Same rough $110 price.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post

That's... a weird set of numbers, and a cranky statement about USGT. Nobody is going to deny you running a body on the body list. And most of the time they won't wince so long as you have an "in the spirit of" body.

USGT is going to a spec motor by the end of the year, that would be the way to go. It's $70. The "choice" esc is $51. Hobbywing JustStock.

You can get by with a $40 AC/DC B6AC charger, at least I did for the first year. It's got a 5amp limit on charging, but hey, that'll get you topped up as long as your rounds take more than 35 minutes.

Radios are a bit more funny. If you're at all unsure, the FS-GT3b radio is a really good place to start. At $40, it has 10 model memory, and all of the radio side tweaks you might want. And it's a better build than the spektrum stuff, that's less than $400.

As for a "entry level" chassis, I'd definitely go Sakura Advance S, or Sakura XI Sport ver.Nu. I prefer the Sakura's as they ahve better shock bodies, and come with swaybars. On a $109 chassis, that's like getting $20 of upgrade bits for free on the Sakuras versus the XQ1s. Not that you'd be "utterly wrong" going XQ1s.

So.. Getting going:
  • Radio/Rec - $40
  • ESC - $52
  • Motor - $70
  • Servo - .... I buy the $35 TG1250 but this is a point of contention.
  • Pinion/Spur - $12
  • Tires - $24
  • Chassis - $110
  • Body - $35
  • Paint - $10
  • Battery - $60
  • Battery connector - $4
  • Charger - $37
... So that's... $489? That will put you on the track, with all new parts, with a car that's ready to go.

Figure another $20-50 in tuning parts and spares if you want to have a good weekend.
eevul likes this.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
That's... a weird set of numbers, and a cranky statement about USGT. Nobody is going to deny you running a body on the body list. And most of the time they won't wince so long as you have an "in the spirit of" body.

USGT is going to a spec motor by the end of the year, that would be the way to go. It's $70. The "choice" esc is $51. Hobbywing JustStock.

You can get by with a $40 AC/DC B6AC charger, at least I did for the first year. It's got a 5amp limit on charging, but hey, that'll get you topped up as long as your rounds take more than 35 minutes.

Radios are a bit more funny. If you're at all unsure, the FS-GT3b radio is a really good place to start. At $40, it has 10 model memory, and all of the radio side tweaks you might want. And it's a better build than the spektrum stuff, that's less than $400.

As for a "entry level" chassis, I'd definitely go Sakura Advance S, or Sakura XI Sport ver.Nu. I prefer the Sakura's as they ahve better shock bodies, and come with swaybars. On a $109 chassis, that's like getting $20 of upgrade bits for free on the Sakuras versus the XQ1s. Not that you'd be "utterly wrong" going XQ1s.

So.. Getting going:
  • Radio/Rec - $40
  • ESC - $52
  • Motor - $70
  • Servo - .... I buy the $35 TG1250 but this is a point of contention.
  • Pinion/Spur - $12
  • Tires - $24
  • Chassis - $110
  • Body - $35
  • Paint - $10
  • Battery - $60
  • Battery connector - $4
  • Charger - $37
... So that's... $489? That will put you on the track, with all new parts, with a car that's ready to go.

Figure another $20-50 in tuning parts and spares if you want to have a good weekend.
fantastic insight sir. Thank you!!!
sagejyoung likes this.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

I got by with a gt3B radio for quite a while. Only reason I switched was that it started acting up and I finally figured out that another guy at the track had the same radio and his was messing with mine. It was causing mine to have a delay. Needless to say, if I was racing and he turned his radio on, I instantly nailed a wall.
That said, you can get an excellent radio for the money with the Flysky Noble. Under $200 and I'd say the best build quality out there. I'm loving mine. Several others have bought the same radio recently after seeing mine and I haven't heard any complaints from them either.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bryonkibildis View Post
Hello guys. First post. Used to race RC10s back in the late 80s and getting the desire to race again. I want to race stock class here in SOCAL. I have a sweet IMSA Z32 body and researching good entry level chassis. Whats recommended and what is the source for rules concerning motors, batteries, etc. There is a million times more info involved now that I'm 35 years into the future lol... Thanks in advance!
You got one of those (300ZX) in 1:1?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Not sure what 1:1 means on the scale. But it looks magnificent 1/10th
Old 02-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bryonkibildis View Post
Not sure what 1:1 means on the scale. But it looks magnificent 1/10th
1:1 means real car.