2020 1/10 On-Road Bodies

Like Tree43Likes

2020 1/10 On-Road Bodies

Old 01-20-2020, 03:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default 2020 1/10 On-Road Bodies

Hi All,

There has been a lot of bodies from different manufacturers ie Bitty Design, ZooRacing, Xtreme Aerodynamics, Protoform, Monaco etc being released.

A few years back everyone seems to only run one body for any given track, well at least at my local track. But now it seems everyone is trying out different bodies. Sadly I can't afford to buy every body in the market to try and see what works and what doesn't so I would like to get an idea on what everyone's preference is and why. It's not about one being better than the other, more just a comparison among racers. So of course personal preference is welcomed.

So what are you thoughts and why.

FYI I mainly run on low grip asphalt.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most of the guys I run with that try them all seem to gravitate back to the Zoo DBX or the Xtreme Twister (low grip asphalt)
Airwave and LOW ET like this.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

I have ran on low grip tracks before and high grip. My go to body is always the Protoform Type S. Also I really like the Protoform quality from start to finish. The price is often cheaper. I love the very good window cut-outs. I have tried a couple other brands before but always go back to the Protoform bodies.
racer034life and Bry195 like this.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

I created a thread some time back (here in On-Road, but an Admin felt it should go in the Chat Lounge), where I postulated that the TC class has lost its spirit. I was somewhat surprised at how many people defended the current state of how cars barely resemble their namesake in favor of better downforce/tuning. The way things are going, these bodies will morph into LMP cars one of these days.

Iíll say again what I said in my thread - I understand how the old practice of replicating real cars got too expensive, given licensing and all, but it would be nice if the cars somewhat resembled the 4-door sedans that inspired the class names. Pretty soon, rooflines will turn into canopies.rather than a roof capable of supporting 4 theoretical people sitting inside it. We have in our hands fully tunable race chassis. Why should a body be yet another tuning variable?

You can still make a ďconventionalĒ looking sedan aerodynamic. Heck, Protoform made a name for themselves by closely matching the actual lines of the real cars they modeled their bodies after. Their Chevy Lumina and Ford Thunderbird bodies were legendary in Oval Racing years ago So was the Dodge Stratus in TC. The cars that compete in real TC racing series donít look too different from their street counterparts (if you ignore the crazy number of winglets on DTM cars). That being said, I would appreciate bodies that look like actual 4-door sedans... I would appreciate it MORE if I could get the same body for both 190 and 200mm Racing! Right now, the Bittydesign Striker 3.0 is the ONLY body I know of in all of RC at the moment that is available for both chassis.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

USGT is more fun than TC anyways. TC is a hackfest. Cars look like tadpoles now.

I don't understand the draw to TC, when 1/12th rules carpet so well.
racer034life likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

These are touring cars:

Old 01-20-2020, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Lonestar likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Boy...this thread got off track in a hurry. Some folks seem like a bundle of hurt feelings, just looking for a place to happen.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks for the response guys, but lets keep it on track (literally). I agree the bodies have changed quite considerably over the years, but these bodies are approved for racing by the various racing bodies, so regardless of how they look we can use them.

More feedback please
sps3172 and XSRCdesign like this.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I can only comment for my local track (small black carpet) over the last few years, and only a few bodies since I don’t try them all either. And they seem to go out of style now pretty quickly. Last year at this time the type-s was king at my track. We ran this over the Mazda 6, Ltcr, and the bitty 410. Those were pretty much the last bodies that resembled real cars. The type-s was just faster and had more steering without having to be mounted a mile forward. I ran the type-s until I switched tc chassis, then went to the Racer body since it was in most of the setups. The Racer is in my opinion a very stable body, maybe just a bit too locked in, but overall a great body. Now I have just recently switched tc chassis again and the new car being mid motor, long arms, and higher roll centers needs something a little different. And this is where the new bodies seem to shine. I am now driving a Turismo which is a very aggressive body. It reminds me of foam tire days for the steering, but the rear isn’t stable at all. But when I put the Racer back on, the car just doesn’t feel good. With that said, the dbx and twister are on my list to try. But who knows when. I have a handful of brand new shells that will never see paint because the bodies have gone out of style, so now I only buy new ones when I need them.

Anyway, I’ll sum this up;
Racer - great body, seems very stable and you have to tune your car to be aggressive.
Type-s - more steering, especially at the end of a sweeper, great for high speed corners.
Turismo - Super aggressive, the rear is not very stable, in my opinion, but can be wicked fast when the car is tuned for it.

What I am looking for is a shell that is as aggressive as the Turismo, but a bit more stable in the rear. I’ve just painted the Turismo in the ultra light to see if it helps.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
I can only comment for my local track (small black carpet) over the last few years, and only a few bodies since I donít try them all either. And they seem to go out of style now pretty quickly. Last year at this time the type-s was king at my track. We ran this over the Mazda 6, Ltcr, and the bitty 410. Those were pretty much the last bodies that resembled real cars. The type-s was just faster and had more steering without having to be mounted a mile forward. I ran the type-s until I switched tc chassis, then went to the Racer body since it was in most of the setups. The Racer is in my opinion a very stable body, maybe just a bit too locked in, but overall a great body. Now I have just recently switched tc chassis again and the new car being mid motor, long arms, and higher roll centers needs something a little different. And this is where the new bodies seem to shine. I am now driving a Turismo which is a very aggressive body. It reminds me of foam tire days for the steering, but the rear isnít stable at all. But when I put the Racer back on, the car just doesnít feel good. With that said, the dbx and twister are on my list to try. But who knows when. I have a handful of brand new shells that will never see paint because the bodies have gone out of style, so now I only buy new ones when I need them.

Anyway, Iíll sum this up;
Racer - great body, seems very stable and you have to tune your car to be aggressive.
Type-s - more steering, especially at the end of a sweeper, great for high speed corners.
Turismo - Super aggressive, the rear is not very stable, in my opinion, but can be wicked fast when the car is tuned for it.

What I am looking for is a shell that is as aggressive as the Turismo, but a bit more stable in the rear. Iíve just painted the Turismo in the ultra light to see if it helps.
I have a Turismo and it is aggressive. If you Turismo is breaking loose in the rear try moving the wing back to the rear position. It has 3 set holes and I have mine in middle. I did that with the Zoo HellCat and it was stuck in the rear. BTW the Hellcat by Zoo is a pretty good body.
I have yet to find a body that is faster than my trusty Type S. They have been equal speed but never faster. I do like the Turismo and have only ran it one time. I think it has some promise and it perhaps could be faster than the Type S. For me I need to practice a little bit more when the lap counter is on and try different lines on the track.
trilerian likes this.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For our local track which is low grip in the afternoon until early evening (outdoor asphalt with a very technical lay out), we use the Zooracing Zoozilla and Preopard as these give the best steering among the bittydesign and protoform bodies. Come finals when the grip is really high, some racers tend to use the dogsbollox and montech 2 as it'll make the cars easier to drive.

We run 17.5 blinky races TC.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alecladanga View Post
For our local track which is low grip in the afternoon until early evening (outdoor asphalt with a very technical lay out), we use the Zooracing Zoozilla and Preopard as these give the best steering among the bittydesign and protoform bodies. Come finals when the grip is really high, some racers tend to use the dogsbollox and montech 2 as it'll make the cars easier to drive.

We run 17.5 blinky races TC.

Hope this helps.
Huh, I thought the DBX had more steering and the Preopard was more stable.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

New zoo racing baybee

Lonestar, Marcos.J and sugs like this.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Huh, I thought the DBX had more steering and the Preopard was more stable.
Agree with the above...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.