DB10 VS A800 MMX VS T4 20

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By trilerian
  • 1 Post By Dan

DB10 VS A800 MMX VS T4 20

Old 01-13-2020, 09:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default DB10 VS A800 MMX VS T4 20

Ok time for a new ride for the 2020 season, with all the new releases and TC currently on the market. I'm looking for input from racers on the best TC for Asphalt to run 13.5.
  • T420 looks like a great car but have heard interesting feedback on build quality and challenges to set up
  • A800 MMX looks wicked fast, with great feedback
  • DB10 has me really thinking with some subtle refinements could it be the breakout car for 2020??
Interested in feedback, opinions and overall thoughts.

Cheers,
P
Old 01-14-2020, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Cannot comment on AMX and DB10 as I don't run them. I have a couple of races with the T4 '20 under the belt so far so, as opposed to what is usual on the interwebz, I will just comment on what I know

- Build: It is very easy to build, and build quality is superb except 2 3x10mm grub screws which should have been 2x8mm. That's it for the "build quality" challenges. The rest is just as perfectly fitted and adjusted and manufactured as can be. I am not sure what you are referring to.
- Performance: It is surprisingly easy to drive with the box setup. I was expecting TONS of steering and it's actually rather mild. From what I've seen on the track the AMX is a sharper turner. But you need the fingers that can stand it. You can dial in more front end rather easily though with the usual setup wizardry. Out-of-the-box, the car is a contender and I think it's just as good a top-notch car as the rest of the competition, really. No real bad cars in 2020 any more in the upper price bracket.
- must have hop-ups: That $10 bumper brace should have been included in the kit, it's created a stir which is funny when you consider it is, well, just a $10 part part that is widely available from a variety of sources... but people like to complain LOUDLY in 2019 and 2020. Net - buy the darn $10 part right away and be done with it.

I leave it to the others to comment on their cars...

Paul
Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Here is what I, well, think I know...
I have the new MMXA. Absolutely, without a doubt, this car is awesome, and yes, pun intended. This car just turns better than anything I have ever wheeled, it may take a little to get the rear planted, but I love this car. I already want another one just to build. Speaking of the build, it is second to none. Parts needed that are not in the kit; soft springs, but on asphalt you may want the hard springs anyway, spur gear, and a bumper brace. There are 2 people at my track with the T4 20 and neither of them has figured out the setup they like, or the change in driving style it seems to require. Don't get me wrong, the T4 20 is fast, and closed that gap between the Xray and Awesomatix, but it does require something different than previous cars. The 2 guys that got them have always been faster than me, but right now I am running with them, and even managed to TQ our Friday night club race. I haven't done that in years... I fully expect that when they get them setup to their driving I will go back to being a tenth or two down, but for now...

Anyway, I switched from Xray to Awesomatix last year with the Evo, and now have the MMXA, and I don't foresee switching back.
dawgmeat and tbrymer like this.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

BD10

But that's just a detail. Take the A800, easiest car to go fast with. I had a T4 before and never regretted the switch to Awesomatix.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

If you don't mind more wrenching, the Awesomatix is a very nice car. The T4 is nearly as quick but much less of a pain to work on.
chensleyrc1 likes this.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you all for the feedback!

I have run the T418 all last year great car handled well then got the AMX A800 and its like a light bulb went off in my head...like wow a car can do this? Anyway its great but I do have a challenge keeping the rear end planted and can get a bit frustrating at times.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I run the T4'20 and went to it from my A800 i had for a short time. Loved the corner speed of the A800, but hated the maintenance on it. Seemed every run the camber/caster would self adjust, even without hitting anything. But the good thing, it didn't hamper the performance that bad and may just be part of my OCD, lol. The final straw that made me get rid of the A800 for the T4, the plastic a-arm pivot ball covers. When the ones break on the rear close to the motor during a club race, all sorts of profanities come out of my mouth, lol. Both cars are good and can be just as fast as the other, you can't go wrong with either purchase.