R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   10th scale pan cars? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/105758-10th-scale-pan-cars.html)

DennisNyholm 03-13-2006 07:54 PM

10th scale pan cars?

I was just windering if there are any 10th scale pan cars anymore? Seems like they fell off the face of the earth when touring cars came out. WHen I used to race a while back, it was only 10th and 12th scale pan cars. Any idea what is still left (besides oval cars)? Would be fun to get an old 10L and run it at the track!! Though I doubt it would be easy to get parts or anything else for it like foams and such!!

RobS 03-13-2006 10:13 PM

A couple of guys that I know still have their 10th scale on road pan cars, one has an Associated (not exactly sure which chassis) and the other has a CRC Pantura (sp?). Touring cars are now the norm to run, but I've always wanted to see a 10th scale pan car run with some of the latest motor and battery technology we have now... :nod: :nod:

BugFreak 03-13-2006 10:52 PM

Corally CCT is still around, maybe the 10X, I'm not sure.. I can tell you this though... I blow the doors of T the touring cars with the CCT... :p

Mason 03-13-2006 11:07 PM

the 12th scale guys have a thread in this forum.

The 10th scale pan car guys (oval and on-road) all hang out here.. http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&goto=lastpost

Simon A 03-13-2006 11:45 PM

the closest new car i think youll get is the Tamiya direct drive touring car

BullFrog 03-14-2006 02:46 AM

Corally still makes theirs. I just sold mine a month ago. There is another fourm listed that the 1/10th guys go to- oval and larger scales.

AdrianM 03-14-2006 05:48 AM

Speed...

If you are curious about how fast 1/1oth pan cars were/are...

A 1/10 pan car with a 27T stock motor 4 years ago was as fast as a sedan running an 8 turn Mod :eek: . If you put an 8 turn in a pan car like Masami, Cyrul, and Joel Johnson used to run look out! Barry Baker once told me that there were maybe 10 guys on the face of the earth that could properly control a 1/10th pan car with hot mod motor in it.

1/10th just got too fast. Guys starting out could not handle the speed of their cars with stock motors in them. This was happening to 1/12th but cooler head made them switch to 4 cell and this kept the class alive.

1/10th is stone dead but 1/12th is making a comeback. 1/12th has all of the good things about 1/10th but with longer races so 1/12th is where guys go now to get a pan car fix.

redlinezak 03-14-2006 05:58 AM

can anyone tell me what type of wheel fixing these tenth pan cars have ? ~Could you fit a set of rubber touring car wheels and tyres?

vtl1180ny 03-14-2006 06:09 AM

You're not the only one on Long Island with a pan car still.... I still run a 10L2 and a 10L3T, matter of fact I ran my L2 with a brushless out at SSH over the summer....

Red, Touring wheels will not fit as there is no Hex on the rear and the bearings are in the wheel on the front.

redlinezak 03-14-2006 06:13 AM

are there any rubber tires that will fit??

DennisNyholm 03-14-2006 07:37 AM

I don't beleive touring car tires would fit, nor would they work right. They are way too tall. 1/10 scale pan cars tires are like 1/12 scale. Small and thin up front and larger rear tires.

vtl1180ny 03-14-2006 07:52 AM

I have some of the old Proline rubber tires, they are much taller and narrower than the foams though. BSR also makes capped rubber tires, have a few of them also.... Bad thing is that they are really expensive....

Iceracer 03-14-2006 09:52 AM

I bought an old RC10LS0 just to fool around with and have been looking into local racing. I joined a club that has an indoor carpet road course and they have been letting me run the car with the stock touring cars. I've positioned the batteries for equal weight on both sides. I can see the pan car has lots of potential and I'm sure they will kick me out as soon as I learn how to drive. I find the car can really accellerate thru the turns.

On the plus side, there is an active 1/12 pan car following and I'll probably join in on it. I'm not interested in running a car with so many parts and pieces as the touring cars if I can avoid it. Looks like a ploy by the factories to keep us buying parts and upgrades. There's enough hardware needed for this hobby with all the chargers, equalizers and dischargers, batteries, etc.

BRP made an adapter at one time to fit up touring car wheels to 1/10 pan cars. Tower hobbies still sells the front piece (basically a sleeve) and BRP shows the full kit on their website. The pan cars have wider rear tires than the touring cars I see. Front foams look about the same.

vtl1180ny 03-14-2006 10:50 AM

You really need the wide rears to make up for it being 2wd... I have thje adapters to put Pan car wheels on the RC10 buggies/trucks....

rayhuang 03-14-2006 12:04 PM

Last year I ran for fun

10L2
GP3300 six cells
DC 8x1 Ti
Protoform P35 body

on an Ozite track. It was by far the hardest accelerating and fastest RC car I have ever driven and I had a whicked fast 1/8th scale Serpent with Collari .21 motor a few years earlier. I can totally understand what Adrian and others said about controlling one. Its one thing to lap with one-but to race another 9 drivers-Damn near impossible. The straight line acceleration was mind boggling and too quick to worry about others around you. It brings new meaning to point and shoot. Brian Anthony made a funny comment and it was true-when I drove mine he said when you hit the throttle-already be looking at the end of the stright!!! :lol:

What was so awesome was with the large footprint of tires, I was lifting pretty late on straight (abour 2/3rd down a 80' straight) and made the sweeper every single lap-even if I was a split second later on lifting. Again-due to the huge front tires. I was sure I was gonna clobber the wall at end of the straightaway, but I never did. It was a bit slow through the chicanes and infield as it was so big, but still fun.