R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #31
Tech Initiate

i know it may vary with tyres but what is roughly the maximum ride height you can attain with a tenth pan car?
redlinezak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinezak
i know it may vary with tyres but what is roughly the maximum ride height you can attain with a tenth pan car?
With full size tires, no spacers under your suspension and the right axle insert to level the car....about 1/2"

The car would be a total disaster to drive like that though .
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1/10th pan would be a pretty cost effective solution to the every increasing price of touring cars. Along with their simplicity, it would most likely allow more younger and less funded individuals to get into racing instead of bashing.

If i can find a nice used one, I'd love to play with it at the track. I bet more people probably have these cars sitting in their basements collecting dust, they just need other people to bring them out of thier graves!!
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm
1/10th pan would be a pretty cost effective solution to the every increasing price of touring cars. Along with their simplicity, it would most likely allow more younger and less funded individuals to get into racing instead of bashing.

If i can find a nice used one, I'd love to play with it at the track. I bet more people probably have these cars sitting in their basements collecting dust, they just need other people to bring them out of thier graves!!
Why 1/10th?

No one is making the cars anymore, Parts are getting hard to find, no one is molding bodies, tires are expensive, its a dead class.

Race 1/12th instead.

Lots of cars are being made, parts are plentiful, several body choices, cheap tires and you get to race 3 extra minutes for the same money!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Default 10th scale pan cars

10th Scale Pan Car Racing is alive and well in the Central Ohio area. Platinum Hobbies and Raceway (Columbus Ohio) continues to draw a solid oval crowd on Saturday evenings. I currently race sedan and 12th scale road course (not in the last month due to the fact that I'm moving), but I would love to get a pan car. Most guys are running the AE RC10L4, Hyperdrive, and Customworks kits. They are wicked fast in capable hands with the right setup.

llamont
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, the way I think of it, TC are at the top and 1/12 is at the bottom. 1/10 pan fits right in the middle. For the people that can't afford a TC, the 1/10 is a better alternative to the 1/12th scale. I just think that 1/12 is too much of a toy and 1/10 is more of a car. Think of the Mini's at 1/18th scale. They didn't last very long!! At least around me that is.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm
Well, the way I think of it, TC are at the top and 1/12 is at the bottom. 1/10 pan fits right in the middle. For the people that can't afford a TC, the 1/10 is a better alternative to the 1/12th scale. I just think that 1/12 is too much of a toy and 1/10 is more of a car. Think of the Mini's at 1/18th scale. They didn't last very long!! At least around me that is.
Well...1/12th was around for 10 years before 1/10th existed has outlasted 1/10th by a long shot. I guess natural selection has determined the class that should survive.

That said 1/10th oval is very strong in a few areas of the US.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default re

But.....1/10 pan car oval and roadcourse are two different animals. I have raced both and much prefer roadcourse. But...that's me.
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:55 AM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinezak

i have to say i know very little about tenth pan cars or twelfth but surely the 6 cell 12th cars with stock motors were faster than the tenth so is it down to the extra weight of tenth pan that they were outlawed.
No, the extra weight wasn't a factor. What was a factor is that they ran for 5 minutes as opposed to 1/12th's 8 minutes, so had a lot more power to use! They were insanely fast when run on carpet!
Frank N. Furter is offline   Reply With Quote