Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mschumi101
  • 2 Post By mschumi101

Touring car setup: carpet vs asphalt

Old 01-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Touring car setup: carpet vs asphalt

Hi,

I am looking for information on setup changes when moving from carpet to asphalt.

I know the general concept of setting up a stiffer car on carpet and a softer car on asphalt, but I would love some advice.

What is your typical list of changes, from the most usual and effective ones to the more advanced and obscure?

Thank you,
Ale
Old 01-05-2020, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It will typically vary a lot from car to car and track to track. A great place to start is to find your chassis on PetitRC and look through different carpet and asphalt setups to find some similar to your track, then start there.

As a general rule of thumb, you’ll usually need to change around your droop, and shock settings quite a bit. Alignments will be different too if you come from running super high grip black carpet. Other changes may be chassis brand specific, such as switching from aluminum to carbon chassis, or to an Alu Flex chassis. Or in the case of X-ray switching to running SLP shocks from the indoor ULP shocks. May also require running different flex characteristics on your top deck etc. It all depends on your chassis and what adjustments you have available. Same with type of track. If it’s lower grip gray carpet it will likely be a much more similar setup to one on asphalt. If coming from black high grip carpet it will likely be very different. Asphalt will usually require harder tire compounds and different bodies as well.
30Tooth likes this.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:22 PM
Tech Rookie

The Biggest change you will make will be the Chassis, Aluminum to Carbon. You are going to want a lot more flex on Asphalt then you are on Carpet. Also you will run a car with a littler higher ride height. Most Asphalt Tracks you will run between 5.2-6mm of ride height depending on the smoothness of the track. This is one of the biggest reasons for softening a car on Asphalt vs a very smooth carpet track.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the answers.

I usually move from a high grip black carpet to a medium low grip asphalt track. My car is a TRF 419 XR, but I have only the carbon chassis.

I have checked some setup sheets online, but I was interested in understanding which changes are typical when moving from one surface to the other and keeping the same chassis.

When looking on setup sheets it is not clear to me if a certain setting is different because of the track surface or some other reason (fast vs. slow track layout for example).

So according to your answers when moving from high grip carpet to low grip asphalt you:

increase ride height
increase droop
modify shocks settings (softer springs?)
longer shocks
softer chassis

what do you mean exactly with alignments?

what about other things like rear differential and front/rear width? Are they related to grip level or more related to track layout?

Thanks again,
Ale
Old 01-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

By alignments I was referring mainly to camber. On black carpet you are much more concerned with traction rolling rather than tire wear on asphalt. Toe may be different, but that could be due to grip levels or speed/stability if it’s a really large asphalt track. Rear diff would follow traction levels. Running something more like 7k on carpet, and lower like 2-5k on asphalt. Could run a narrower width if you need more traction, but that’s getting very track specific.

With looking at setups online I like to just open like 10 carpet setups, 10 asphalt from different drivers/tracks. That way you can really tell if the changes are surface specific or track specific. I know at least on X-ray setup sheets it lists track grip and how tight the layout is for a general reference. With looking at so many setups you’ll find a lot of trends that way and maybe some things to try tuning on race day if your car is a little off. For instance you may see that on asphalt 95% of the time 400cst is run in the shocks. Or a certain roll center is always run. But flex may vary more, which would be what you tune for your track.
30Tooth and Fiorla like this.