Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How do you level your setup board? >

How do you level your setup board?

Like Tree14Likes

How do you level your setup board?

Old 12-29-2019, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default How do you level your setup board?

This matters when setting up your touring car's L/R and F/R balance, ride height, etc
How do you achieve a level surface?

Years ago, Integy used to have a board with a built in level, and thumbscrews on each corner, but not sure its still available...
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by quantum View Post
This matters when setting up your touring car's L/R and F/R balance, ride height, etc

Years ago, Integy used to have a board with a built in level, and thumbscrews on each corner, but not sure its still available...
funny you said that. I still have my Integy with the built in levelness pins and a bubble in middle of board.
But when I am lazy I just use some spur gears and place under the board to get the bubble centered.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Just get a bubble level app on your smartphone and shim the board.
porsche928gs and Brian10811 like this.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
Well hell! That is a good idea. I never even thought that they would have that as a app. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
I find it slides around sometimes... guess I can just use something grippier.
Was hoping someone was aware of a pre-made solution... like thumbscrews that can be installed at the 4 corners.... like on your TC dampers!
Old 12-30-2019, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If you want to spend the money you can get custom setup boards by Genesis RC that can include the adjustable legs as an option.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Its important for scales to be level as well.

look up speaker spike. You can tape them to any setup board and adjust the level. They work perfect.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

For just the setup tools (droop, caster camber etc) no level is needed, only a flat surface,

Basically for weight scales I also do not take care of getting it precise on level, as long the car does not roll away it is fine.
Lonestar and V8 Rumble like this.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
For just the setup tools (droop, caster camber etc) no level is needed, only a flat surface,

Basically for weight scales I also do not take care of getting it precise on level, as long the car does not roll away it is fine.
if its not level, you have some weight shifted.. how can you take measurements accurately?

I'm just getting back into this after some time away, and found i had to buy new ride height and droop gauge because we now measure 0.2mm increments. 0.2mm makes a difference - not sure how not having a level surface works?
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Its not shifted that dramatically. If you have a basic table, and set your setup board on it you will be fine. Unless you are trying to measure of a Table at lets exaggerate 30 degrees... that weight shift on a regular table top will be so negligible that it wont affect your measurements. And the smaller the car, then it will become even less... A flat surface is all you need, until you get into the weight balance. Whats really going to blow your mind is that most racing surfaces are not always perfectly level...

What kind of chassis are you trying to setup?
Lonestar likes this.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

if its not level, you have some weight shifted.. how can you take measurements accurately?

I'm just getting back into this after some time away, and found i had to buy new ride height and droop gauge because we now measure 0.2mm increments. 0.2mm makes a difference - not sure how not having a level surface works?
Do the test, balance your car and note all corner weights on a leveled board and set the bord on a small angle and measure again. It will not give an important difference
Lonestar likes this.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

If you are using a setup station on a flat surface and it is not level it will effect the camber. That's why it is important to be as close to level as possible. Just my 2 cents.
Bry195 likes this.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Yea camber seems to be the most sensitive on mine for being level.

Im not trying to over value scales for those who just use them for corner weight. However, when you get them relatively level they can be used to find problems with odd preloads or ride height issues and on and on. Tweak and suspension movement issues are easy to see in a combination of force/mm. Force or mass measurement is completely dependent on displacement or mmís. If you find that your toe or camber or caster are off, 30 grams in the wrong place will tell you which corner took the hit.

An average preload for an A800x is 100gF/mm. If the scale weighs 20 grams heavy or .2mm high how effective is your scale for even corner balancing? Your talking 20%.

what if your chassis is stiff (it is) and your ride height is right but 1 spring is into its progression and another is not but the ride height is correct or vice versa?

if the chassis is right to begin with, a non level scale shouldnt be too much of an issue. I can thoroughly agree with a scale being a little uneven as not being an issue. Initial setup, changes, and damage is all easier to see in the scales if they are level. Especially with soft springs. More grams per mm.

I see ride height changes from race day to race day. If the scales i used to set the car up were relatively right then regular old ride height changes pull the whole car back to where its supposed to be. Suspension checks are not needed for minor bumps and bruises. But Ill know which corner to fix if the scales are doing something weird without needing a setup station and chasing settings around the car until they stabilize.

30 grams is on the high end of changes I would see track day to track day but 15 on each corner is on the low end. Its not the end of the world if you dont have scales or that they arent level. But it can be significant. Its easier to see problems on a soft setup with scales than with ride height scales. Scales being level is more important as you weigh stiffer springs or chassis flex but you get more mm per gram on a stiff setup so its easier to start with ride height. I use both methods on a new setup or springs and then the preload screws do the expected from that point on. If your process is to ride height, scale, ride height, scale a new chassis youll level out the progressive part of the springs to the displacement (mm). After that the forces and distances should stay aligned until you make another major change and your ride heigh gauge should be able to handle minor changes everything until a major incident.

you ever wonder why one preload screw is way off of the rest but the ride height and weight seems pretty close? A level scale will fix your problem. What about your car torque steering on acceleration? Or one side of the chassis showing camber gain but not the same on the other? If your chassis flexes more in one direction than the other and its not part of the design you can balance or remove tweak.

I really just mentioned scales and there is no need to go out and buy them if you have a method. I use my scales more than my ride height or setup station but most people dont. Im not saying my way is better it just works for me to see problems quickly. The way I use them they need to be relatively level but i use them before I use anything else.

the speaker spikes are cheap on ebay and can be stuck to the bottom of a setup board if you want to level it. 20 grams will change my camber by .75.

Last edited by Bry195; 01-01-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Very good post Bry195
Bry195 likes this.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

I really didnt mean to rant or even make someone feel like I was challenging them because im not. I agree with everything said. The reliability of scale data isnt what keeps me up at night. But they can be used as a shortcut or troubleshooting method. A flat surface works. Getting the pads level is usually pretty easy on a flat surface but a height difference of .2 can make a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.