Looking for a Touring Car >

Looking for a Touring Car

Like Tree11Likes

Looking for a Touring Car

Old 12-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Looking for a Touring Car

My son is finally getting into RC. We've gone the RTR route, now he wants an "on-road" kit to assemble. Finding something that isn't on the expensive side (~$200 or under), and isn't a full-on racer, but still requires assembly has been challenging. I'm thinking Touring Car or Rally Car... But I'm out of date. Looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Xpress Execute XQ1S Sport Clubracer

I don’t have this one. But another from the brand. A member here is vendor.

3Racing is another to look into.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

I have a Serpent S411 ERYX 2.0 touring sedan posted in the for sale area, but it is already assembled.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:22 PM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I have a Serpent S411 ERYX 2.0 touring sedan posted in the for sale area, but it is already assembled.
Steve
I think the father buyer is looking for a kit so his son can learn how to build his own car instead rtr

kingofcool999
3Racing is a good kit or Tamiya TT02
how old is your son?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:23 PM
OVA
Tech Champion

..https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tamiya-TA...20tt02&veh=sem
perfect for beginner and for learning for first time and great for TCS championship
SteveM likes this.

Last edited by OVA; 12-10-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

I have been looking at some of the Tamiya stuff, one of the few I have been able to find.
rippen likes this.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

The TB05 Pro is on sale at TamiyaUSA for $202.
SteveM likes this.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

That looks pretty good.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:51 PM
OVA
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kingofcool999 View Post
That looks pretty good.
TB05 is a great TC...but it doesn't include the esc, servo, motor...
rippen likes this.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:04 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
TB05 is a great TC...but it doesn't include the esc, servo, motor...
With kits you need to buy all the electronics. Plus receiver for the controller.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
With kits you need to buy all the electronics. Plus receiver for the controller.
Not always so. Several of the Tamiya TT-01 and TT-02 kits include a body, tires, rims, motor and ESC. The newer kits include the Tamiya TBLE-02S speed control that does brushed AND brushless motors, so once you've mastered the kit in stock trim you can add a brushless motor and other chassis upgrades. Great value and Tamiya build easily and have some of the very best instructions.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Tech Lord

Not always so. Several of the Tamiya TT-01 and TT-02 kits include a body, tires, rims, motor and ESC. The newer kits include the Tamiya TBLE-02S speed control that does brushed AND brushless motors, so once you've mastered the kit in stock trim you can add a brushless motor and other chassis upgrades. Great value and Tamiya build easily and have some of the very best instructions.
I know the Euro trucks did. Outside of that, Iíve not seen much from tamiya that has caught my interest. Itís been a ghost brand for the almost 10 years Iíve been in the hobby. I read of it, see pictures, but other then Euro truck and a M chassis I bought used. Iíve not seen a Tamiya in 4-5 years.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I know the Euro trucks did. Outside of that, Iíve not seen much from tamiya that has caught my interest. Itís been a ghost brand for the almost 10 years Iíve been in the hobby. I read of it, see pictures, but other then Euro truck and a M chassis I bought used. Iíve not seen a Tamiya in 4-5 years.
There has been a resurgence in more economical racing locally with several clubs in different cities trying to find a better entry point into the hobby/sport with the hopes of attracting new people. To that end, they have created a new TTGT class and drafted some preliminary rules as follows;

PROPOSED Rules for TTGT (Spec class)

CHASSIS: stock TT01 / TT01E or base TT02 / TT02SE ( B/D/T/S/R/RR variants NOT permitted)
ESC: "Box stock" Tamyia ESC as delivered in the OEM box
TIRES: Gravity Racing USGT tires on styled spoked rims
SERVO: Open (servo saver may be added)
BODY: Scale Tamyia Sports car bodies only, no TC, Prototype or Stock Sedan style bodies
WINGS: Molded plastic and only what came in the kit - no non-OEM wings may be added
MOTOR: Tamyia brushed Silver can 540 Torque Tuned motor ( for the initial run this season for the class whatever motor that came in the kit may be run )
BATTERY: Lipo 2 cell, 8000 mah Max

Only Allowed Modifications
  • Hex screws may be used in place of the OEM Tamyia screws
  • Nylon bushings maybe replaced with ball bearings
  • battery connectors may be swapped for Deans or other type connection
  • Round Lipo batteries are preferred However - Chassis ribs may be removed to allow a standard rectangular Lipo batteries to be used ( will allow racers to use batteries they may already have keeping costs down)
Prices for these kits are pretty low and I have seen kits from online stores as low as $75 USD plus the shipping. Knowing that the kits include so much from stock makes this class very attractive. All a person would need is a 2-channel radio, steering servo, 2S lipo battery, Lipo battery charger, Lexan paint, basic hand tools. The Gravity RC USGT tires add about $50 CAN and I don't see why the kit included rims and tires can't be used like with the Tamiya Truck class. They run fine, I know as I race one myself.

Examples of decent priced gear include an Airtronics MX-6 radio for under $100, Futaba S3003 / S3004 servo for $10 - $20, can or paint $7, Hobbyking 4000 25C lipo for $17. A generic lipo charger is around $30 or so.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

FWIW...I see far too many racers spending upwards of $1000 and more for a top line sedan chassis kit and then adding hundreds more for speed controls, servos, lipo packs & chargers, bodies and tires all to run in the VTA or USGT classes. I last ran USGT with my reliable and fast TC3, and was only 3rd in the A-main, beaten by a racer with a new FWD Awesomatic 800 in 1st and a chap with an Xray T4 '19 in second. Seriously?!
Eotz likes this.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Tech Lord

There has been a resurgence in more economical racing locally with several clubs in different cities trying to find a better entry point into the hobby/sport with the hopes of attracting new people. To that end, they have created a new TTGT class and drafted some preliminary rules as follows;

PROPOSED Rules for TTGT (Spec class)

CHASSIS: stock TT01 / TT01E or base TT02 / TT02SE ( B/D/T/S/R/RR variants NOT permitted)
ESC: "Box stock" Tamyia ESC as delivered in the OEM box
TIRES: Gravity Racing USGT tires on styled spoked rims
SERVO: Open (servo saver may be added)
BODY: Scale Tamyia Sports car bodies only, no TC, Prototype or Stock Sedan style bodies
WINGS: Molded plastic and only what came in the kit - no non-OEM wings may be added
MOTOR: Tamyia brushed Silver can 540 Torque Tuned motor ( for the initial run this season for the class whatever motor that came in the kit may be run )
BATTERY: Lipo 2 cell, 8000 mah Max

Only Allowed Modifications
  • Hex screws may be used in place of the OEM Tamyia screws
  • Nylon bushings maybe replaced with ball bearings
  • battery connectors may be swapped for Deans or other type connection
  • Round Lipo batteries are preferred However - Chassis ribs may be removed to allow a standard rectangular Lipo batteries to be used ( will allow racers to use batteries they may already have keeping costs down)
Prices for these kits are pretty low and I have seen kits from online stores as low as $75 USD plus the shipping. Knowing that the kits include so much from stock makes this class very attractive. All a person would need is a 2-channel radio, steering servo, 2S lipo battery, Lipo battery charger, Lexan paint, basic hand tools. The Gravity RC USGT tires add about $50 CAN and I don't see why the kit included rims and tires can't be used like with the Tamiya Truck class. They run fine, I know as I race one myself.

Examples of decent priced gear include an Airtronics MX-6 radio for under $100, Futaba S3003 / S3004 servo for $10 - $20, can or paint $7, Hobbyking 4000 25C lipo for $17. A generic lipo charger is around $30 or so.
I donít think that would get off the ground in my area. Euro truck was supposed to be the starter class. But was overrun with experience drivers who, unintentionally, ran off the few new people it had.

The club thing is new for me. Thereís one forming, I give them credit for what they have done as itís about to start. But Iím not sure how itís going to go. They seem to have a decent number signed up. But itís all experienced racers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.