Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Using old-school kit in the modern era? >

Using old-school kit in the modern era?

Like Tree13Likes

Using old-school kit in the modern era?

Old 12-10-2019, 02:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Using old-school kit in the modern era?

Hey folks. I've recently taken up racing again after 15 years (!) out of the game. I'm using a Losi JRX-S (built brand new when I quit racing, sat in the box ever since!) along with brushed motors & ESC and recently came 3rd in class at my local club with it (17.5, I have motored and geared it to match the speed of the brushless guys for simplicity). Only upgrades to 'modern' kit have been a Savox servo (only because there was too much play in my old one) and a couple of cheap shorty lipo's as I was struggling to lug around the extra weight of a NiMh pack. I'll admit, I get a some satisfaction out of using the old kit and actually not doing too badly with it, I think I get more of a kick out of it than I would using the same gear as everyone else. It also harks back to the older RC era of of my childhood and I have an attachment to the old gear.

One thing I have noticed is fragility when compared to modern cars, it doesn't take a lot to break it - whether this is down to design or aged plastics though is another question. However, I've managed to get a really good supply of spares over the last few weeks and parts are still surprisingly available and very cheap due to being old stock. I'm also hitting far less stuff now since I've began to re-find my old groove so it's becoming less of an issue.

Anyone else out there stuck in the past and doing OK with it? I guess it just goes to show really that a lot of RC design is cyclical and in some cases doesn't make a huge difference.

I'd post a pic but seems my post count isn't high enough to do so.
antlockyer likes this.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

I am actively racing a 12-year-old yokomo bd5 in the open mod category.

This is the car running 13.5 boosted.
Andy_F, zzztech and antlockyer like this.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tak4 View Post
I am actively racing a 12-year-old yokomo bd5 in the open mod category.
Awesome, how do your find its competitiveness? Able to hold your own?
Old 12-10-2019, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've ran my 2001 rclab in 17.5t spec class in a large indoor event here in the UK 48 in class and put it 24th in the first round. and recently ran the pro3 and it was flying also.
team green, Andy_F and antlockyer like this.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

I still run a TC3 in the USGT class where I manage to do quite well. A-main winner many times and always in the A

Andy_F and antlockyer like this.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-10-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

We have a guy who runs at the pointy end of stock 21.5 with a TA04. Still runs a plastic tub, and relatively few hop-ups. Just well-setup and well-driven.
Rick Vessell and antlockyer like this.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Andy_F View Post
Awesome, how do your find its competitiveness? Able to hold your own?
its still doing great. Im not among the fastest but i can more than keep up with the reat of the field depending on how worn our tyres are. Durability has been good. The only issue i've encountered are nore limited gearing due to the older designs. Its hard to fit larger spurs on the car compared to the newer cars.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Its funny this was created, as I am in the middle of building my Vega RB5 as a Kyosho Beetle Clone. It will have my old Futaba PCM 3PB Radio, and a Brushed setup running either a 48 or 32P spur (depending if I can find or machine one to work, this is all to relive the sounds of back in the day.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Its funny this was created, as I am in the middle of building my Vega RB5 as a Kyosho Beetle Clone. It will have my old Futaba PCM 3PB Radio, and a Brushed setup running either a 48 or 32P spur (depending if I can find or machine one to work, this is all to relive the sounds of back in the day.
My JRX-S running 64P gears with the brushed motor is probably the quietest car in my class at my club!
Old 12-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Im going for loud, lol...
Old 12-10-2019, 07:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've got an Schumacher Mi-3.5 that has been my go to for USGT/Scale Spec right now since my return to RC a couple years ago. Though admittedly I did just pick up a TB Evo.7 that will replace it in front line service. The Mi will hang around though as a backup and loaner car for friends that want to drop in and give RC a try. When I bought the Mi it came with a huge stash of spares w/ the package which made it very attractive to me at the time. No worrying about whether or not I would be able to find spares for the HPI RS4 Pro4.

As far as competitiveness...yeah about that. Let's just say at this point I'm not worried about the age of the kit being what's holding me back.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was going to do the same with my 2 TC3's after almost 20 years out. I have enough spares of parts I usually broke when I was racing. However, on my first time out, I broke the steering rack - the one item I did not have a spare for. The only place I could find a replacement was on eBay and at 4x the original price. I had to rethink my comeback and purchased a used modern chassis.

SteveM where do you source your TC3 parts?
Old 12-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Red141 View Post
I was going to do the same with my 2 TC3's after almost 20 years out. I have enough spares of parts I usually broke when I was racing. However, on my first time out, I broke the steering rack - the one item I did not have a spare for. The only place I could find a replacement was on eBay and at 4x the original price. I had to rethink my comeback and purchased a used modern chassis.

SteveM where do you source your TC3 parts?
I have had a TC3 since they were first released some 20 years ago and have slowly acquired parts over the years. I found that buying second hand rollers / sliders was the most economical way to accumulate parts. I have also used eBay, this forum, RCMart, and other online shops to pick up parts here and there.

One of the best option parts I ever bought was the RPM wide front bumper. Virtually eliminates breakage at the front end.

I also purchased the blue alloy hexes from RCMart for $1.69 and they are great. Made by GPM, they use an O-ring to retain the pin so there is no clamping or stress on the ends of the axles.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Everybody already knows I only race tc4's and I am getting ready to setup my carpet mod car and Usgt Motiv car for some serious competition.....Wide bumpers are a must and lots of 303 protectant to keep the plastic parts fresh(not brittle)....
Old 12-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Everybody already knows I only race tc4's and I am getting ready to setup my carpet mod car and Usgt Motiv car for some serious competition.....Wide bumpers are a must and lots of 303 protectant to keep the plastic parts fresh(not brittle)....
303 protectant isn't going to do much if you race indoors. There's virtually no UV from artificial lights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.